Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja battery woes
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 10:48 AM
Baja battery woes

There is a memorable dead battery or two in all of us. Sure is a bummer when your way out there and nobody is around.
Not a ranch, not a farm, not a lowly sole out there cept yerself and yer truck. Whadda ya do?

I have been in that predicament a couple times in Baja. I blame Dick Dale for the battery running down. One of the dangers of bringing along "The Culture".;D

If you run down a battery but it still has a little juice and you have no other means of getting a jump, STOP everything and disconnect the battery.
Be patient, expect to hang around for a while....like 2-4 hours or longer if you can.
Take the battery out of the vehicle and place it in the direct sun and keep it there making sure the acid/water covers the cells if it's not a sealed batt.
I have used coke in an emergency, it worked great! :cool:

While your battery rebounds a bit, take time to try and figure out exactly why it went dead. You may have a voltage drop of more than .2 volts in which case your battery will always go flat after sitting a spell.
Of course there are many things that can screw up the charging system but those probs are easier to spot and repair in older vehicles. Having GPS, DVD players and a host other electrical stuff can literally drain off precious valuable millivolts.

Other cool remedies include solar trickle charge panels like on boats and my favorite.... and extra unused, fully charged spare compact battery. Worth its' weight to haul around. Don't forget QUALITY jumper cables too.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 11:05 AM

Thanks Sharks
Gives you a change to stop and smell the cactus too.

A little while ago someone posted about an attachment for your battery that would never allow it to go below a certain level. When it got to a that level, it would turn everything off.
I just did a search and couldnt find the post. Does anyone remember anything about this device?

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 12:27 PM

Boy does that sound scary! I wonder if it completely shuts everything down?
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 12:46 PM

Check out this beauty for $70...multiple uses...only takes up a square foot.

http://www.buywheelstoday.com/products/?id=1671

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 01:17 PM

About 20 years ago, in a then-new Ford P.U. we drove to San Quintin, stayed the night and left the cargo light on. In the AM the battery was dead. Nobody, but nobody had cables. The desk clerk sent us an old man carrying an even older battery. He took off our cables, started the truck with his old battery, very quickly switched cables to our dead one, got us back on the road. Since then I've used the method a time or two in the states for stranded motorists but always on older cars. Can you still do that on new ones with all the computers?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 01:22 PM
Osprey-----

That should work on the newer cars, too. I know when you change batteries, you always disconnect the old one, make the exchange, and hook up the new one-----the computers are never affected, as far as I can tell. Your electric clock may be off, but everything else seems to work just fine.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
About 20 years ago, in a then-new Ford P.U. we drove to San Quintin, stayed the night and left the cargo light on. In the AM the battery was dead. Nobody, but nobody had cables. The desk clerk sent us an old man carrying an even older battery. He took off our cables, started the truck with his old battery, very quickly switched cables to our dead one, got us back on the road. Since then I've used the method a time or two in the states for stranded motorists but always on older cars. Can you still do that on new ones with all the computers?

Yes and no. Some older alternators supposedly will give up if you run the system w/o a batt. I have probably switched batteries like you say a hundred times on all kinds of cars yet I never saw one get fried. One problem though, when disconnecting and switching some cars will immediately stop for lack of any voltage. The alternater/generater/magneto is supposed to keep voltage generated but that doesn't mean it will make it to the ignition switch and coil. If you are really fast when you make the switch the car will keep running and you can proceed to charge up your dead batt.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 03:22 PM
Sharks-----

Of course, you are absolutely right------I did not think that out far enough-----the engine is running, and that does cause a possible problem. I admit that I have never experienced changing out batteries with the engine running and have no idea how that effects things. Thanks for the sorta correction/expansion to my statement.
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 04:24 PM

Here's a dead battery story combined with an early pre run story.
Hope you enjoy!!

1972 Baja 500 Prerun
by Corky

This another Baja pre run tale, 1972- 500.

Please keep in mind, no paved highway, last Pemex station is Camalu, the rest of the gas is purchased out of barrels at restaurants and small ranchos along the way.

This trip I have a new race partner. (Wore out my last one.) He is riding an early Honda XL350, converted to dirt. I am riding a 1972 DKW, (2 stroke with large tank)

No trick back packs like we have now or camelbacks for water. We use Army surplus stuff.
Army web belts with old metal canteens. Army knapsacks with a multitude of straps hanging off of it, so you can attach about any thing you feel like carrying.

The jackets we used back then were Army field jackets with a bazzillion big pockets. The emergency food I carried back then was usually hard candy and tootsie rolls. This trip I was also carrying some little cans of Vienna sausages and Denny Moore stew.

Sat. AM leave Ensenada, down the pavement to Camalu, end of pavement. Then on to El Rosario. We ate a El Rosario and headed towards Rancho Santa Yenez. En route my partner had a flat front. That repaired we continued on. Just before Santa Yenz he gets another flat. This ones on the rear and takes a bit longer to repair.

If you are familiar with motorcycles you will understand changing a 6 ply BARUM tire out in the dirt. Not fun!!! Now the time is getting to late afternoon, maybe 4 PM. We still have about another 100 miles to Papa Fernandez. Just west of Laguna Chapala dry lake he gets another flat. Another front, easier to fix after you find something to put the bike up on.

Just as we were stopping to fix this flat we come upon a Mexican trucker and his family that have stopped for the night. I made the decision to spend the night here, after fixing the tire we would not make Papas before dark Now we get to the real story!!

Back in these days the whole family traveled the "camio" together. Dad, mom, and the kids. As I remember this family was , dad, mom and 3 kids. About 9, 6 and a baby.

While my partner was fixing his tire I went over to the family and practiced my limited Spanish with dad. They had an old flatbed, stake sided truck and as usual it was loaded to the top. I didn't matter if they were carrying rocks or feathers they would be loaded to the top of the stake sides.

Mom was starting a fire to cook their dinner. I could see it wasn't much but sure did smell great. I asked if we could stay the night with them and share dinner. "no problema" With the OK from Papa I gave mama several cans of Vienna sausage and a big can of Denny Moore beef stew.

Needless to say one of my memorable meals in Baja. We all bed down by the fire and go to sleep.
Early the next morning I am awakened by a loud click, click, click sound. I look up and see Papa jacking up the truck. I think, a tire went flat during the night. Always thinking of my stomach I think , go help change the tire and maybe be offered some warm tortillas and coffee to start the day.

I go over to the truck and I don't see any flat tires???

I ask Papa what's the problem?? He tells me the battery is dead.

I look around, truck fully loaded, sitting on the side of the road in medium soft sand with a dead battery. We sure can't push it to bump start it. No other truck or vehicle with jumper cables to give him a start.

WHY IS HE JACKING THE REAR OF THE TRUCK OFF THE GROUND????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As he was jacking up the truck he tells the oldest boy to climb up on to the top of the loaded truck and get something?? I watch as Papa starts to remove the outer rear dual tire. Still thinking of breakfast, I give him a hand removing the tire and wheel.

The oldest boy throws down a long rope. He is still up on the truck still getting something else.
I watch, and he is rolling a rim with no tire on it, off the side of the loaded truck dropping to the ground.

During all this mama is build up the fire and starting breakfast with no concern at all.

Now Papa gets the empty wheel rim and starts to put it on the truck where we just removed a perfectly good tire and wheel.. I'm thinking what the heck is he doing. The oldest boy gets down off the truck and starts winding the rope on the empty wheel rim. As he does this, Papa goes to the fire and gets a cup of coffee, a warm tortllia filled with beans and some leftover dinner, wraps it up and starts eating his breakfast. Mama makes another tortilla and beans and gives it to me and one for my partner with a cup of coffee.

After eating Papa puts the younger son other son in the cab of the truck behind the steering wheel.
He turns the key on and puts the gear shift in third or fourth gear and gives the boy some instructions on what to do. I'm still in the dark. How are they going to start this truck???

By this time mama has fed the kids and put all their stuff away. Already to travel down the road.

Now Papa gives everyone instructions what he wants them to do. I WATCH!!!

The rope is wound around the wheel, Papa, mama, and the oldest son grab ahold of the rope and start pulling on the rope and unwinding it from the wheel. The wheel starts turning faster and faster as they pull the rope off the wheel. Just as the rope is about to unwind from the wheel, Papa yells to the son in the cab and he lets the clutch out. The engine pops a couple of times and dies.

NOW I GET IT!!!

Papa goes to the cab puts transmission in neutral and oldest son starts to rewind the rope on the rim.

Buy this time my partner and I realize the drill and on the next try, papa, myself and my partner pull on the rope spinning it easier and faster and the truck starts. Papa runs up to the cab, puts transmission in neutral, letting the engine idle. We all pitch in, do the reverse process with the empty wheel and put on the good tire and wheel.

We all say our goodbuys and off they head towards Santa Ynez and we are off to Papa Fernandez.

Just another Baja story.
Corky

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 04:53 PM

I drive a Ford diesel which normally comes with two batteries.
I have also installed one of our camper batteries under the hood. It stays charged but is only used for the inverter or when the camper is connected.
I've had to jump the truck from the camper battery twice over the years when the run batteries went dead from the cold. What a concept !

Those little emergency charger units work well. We've used them for jumping everything from motorcycles to boats to pick-ups. They weigh less than half that of a normal car battery and have cables attached; no need to get a rig nearby. Most are rechargable from your cigarette lighter after the rig is running or from a 110 outlet. Not sure about the inflator feature on some; it's a really nice thing to have if it works well.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 05:01 PM

Corky that is truly a great story.
Thanks

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 05:08 PM

Good story Corky. I heard you haven't been feeling too good lately, hope your better.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 05:26 PM

Thanks for posting that again Corky!

I read about that trick in Mike McMahan's great book and tried it on my Subaru when the battery died while camping on Shell Island in the 70's... I used a tow strap, wrapped around the jacked up tire, and pulled! I don't recall if that worked or some nice four wheeler jumped the battery...!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 06:07 PM

Now were talkin'! I love this stuff. I can imagine that! Thanks Corky, Corky
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 06:18 PM

Lencho...
I personally don't own one but know of a few who do. They love it.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 10:45 PM
Old Ford trick

I have a friend who had a 65 ford with a in-line six. It had "three on the tree shift"
I remember how he could "pop-start" his truck on a speed-bump.
He would stop on top of one and then pop the clutch as he rolled off it thus starting the truck.

I wonder if this was applies to a modern truck by jacking it and putting rocks or wood beneath the wheels. Hmmmmmmm? Of course, my current truck is an auto trans(sigh)
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 06:54 AM

Most modern alternator systems are overloaded from the factory. Computer systems are taking up so much power that any accessory taxes the system. In my 01 Ranger I have to 2m FM radios and a Roady 2 XM radio, my battery will last about 2 hours. I only run Optima/Orbital sealed gel batteries and will not allow anyone to jump start it with another car. I purchased a jumper box after my battery died up in Canyon Cajon; fortunately, it surface charged and did not have a long walk.

The computers are sensitive to voltage spikes so always be careful when hooking up any thing to the battery. Most computers need a full 12v or more to fire the crank sensor, if voltage drops your car will not start.

In my Cherokee I could transmit on the radio for hours, run the computer on an inverter, use map lights, run my big Hellas and the bat never died, progress.

Geronimo
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 07:39 AM
Baja ingenuity!

Great story Corky, haven?t heard that one in a while!

Heres another story, as my daughter would say, just like it only different?????

When I used to farm in Baja there was a guy who worked for the ejidotario on a 20 hectare piece next to a piece we farmed.

Every day this worker would arrive in the early morning in his battered Ford Pinto. On irrigation days he would back it into postion, jack and block it up, remove a rear wheel, bolt on a custum made pulley, put a belt on which went from the wheel-pulley to the centrifigal pump on the well, adjust the belt tension with a BFDB, big frigging diggin bar, fire up the Pinto, put it in gear, first gear for slow pumping, second for more water etc, pump water into his main ditch, set out his siphons and irrigate the day away with his streo blasting Los Tigres del Norte...por este calle vivia!

End of the day he just reveresed the process and drove home. Needless to say I hired him first chance I had. Oh the stuff this guy did to keep a vehicle running on a budget was an artform! He works for Cetto now, just saw him a few weeks ago and it felt good to see an old friend again!

Living and working in Baja pre NAFTA one of the first things I learned was all vehicles must have a manual transmission, park downhill whenever possible and always carry jumper cables, chain, shovel, blocks and tow strap!

Con alambre y pinsas arregla todo!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 07:55 AM

I routinely replaced my batteries (Ford diesel and 2 old Blazers) about once every 2 years on each vehicle - live on a ranch at the end of 14km of dirt road, and the internal battery plates simply got jiggled loose and the batteries died.

Bit the bullet and installed gel batteries. which do not have the normal plates - so far (29 months) no problems.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 09:08 AM

Great story, Corky, thanks.

On the subject of portable power-packs for jump starts, I have one that has worked fine for nearly ten years, but it doesn't have enough power to jump-start our '04 PSD F-250.

I know that I have seen power-packs that advertise the power to start diesel motors and have searched for them at a couple of web sites (including dieselstop.com and I went to NAPA with no luck.

Does anyone here know of one that has enough amps to jump-start a diesel?

We have nine, count 'em 9, batteries in various vehicles at Pta Bufeo to maintain. I've hooked trickle-chargers into our solar system and have replaced only one battery in three years. That one battery was in my Fat Cat and I accidently left the key in the ignition and in the "on" position while we were back here in AZ. D....U....M....B! :(

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.