Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Pt. Abreojos to Pt. Asuncion
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 05:53 PM
Pt. Abreojos to Pt. Asuncion

Alright Nomads-

I've got a few months until I get to break in my new Tacoma TRD Access Cab in Baja. My last rig was still running strong with 197k miles but the wife insisted I get a new truck. Why did I wait so long to get married?!

Anyways, after returning from Agua Verde we are thinking of heading out to Abreojos and then up the coast to Asuncion and maybe Tortugas. I travelled from Asuncion to Abreojos in June 1997 and couldn't believe all the beautiful beaches. I have also been to Tortugas a few times since then.

I am looking for any current road reports, things to keep an eye out for, must see places, etc. I'm fairly well equipped and have travelled in very remote places. Will abalone be in season? lobster?

Definately looking forward to putting a scratch or two on the truck.

Thanks for your input.

Zac

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 06:17 PM

We made that run a couple of years ago with no problems but obviously that is not good information for you.
What I wanted to say was, that was a wonderful trip and you are 100% correct there is a lot of beach...most with not a soul in site. One day we drove as close as we could get to the water through the dunes and stayed for two days...all alone except for the occasional coyote.
You will have a blast!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 07:07 AM

The road is paved 2/3 of the way out to Abreojos. Graded going up the coast. Abalone will not be in season but Lobster will. Have fun - it's still beautiful
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 08:47 AM

Road is graded and good all the way to Tortugas.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 02:15 PM

I assumed that you were talking about the coast road....
is that paved?

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 02:21 PM

Judy-

Actually, all the above. I will head out to Abreojos, go north along the coast to Asuncion. If we have time, I am going to use the sandy coast road up to Tortugas not the road that cuts inland. Then, I will return to Vizcaino.

I completely forgot about the paving of the road to Abreojos. At one time, that section of road (from the coast to the highway) was on my top of my "worst roads" in Baja list.

Thanks for the updates.

Zac

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 02:51 PM

BB
You got that right....it was not paved when we were on it either. We did a lot of riding around on the peninsula(Vizcaino). We left Asuncion and drove back toward the main road because we had an appointment to tour the reserve for the pronghorns(berrendos) , which if you pass you should stop and check them out. The reserve is on the east(right) side of the road just before the main road heading away from the coast.
After our tour, we went back down the road to Asuncion and down the coast to Abreojos. It was on this leg that we stopped and camped for 2 days in the dunes....all alone.
I personally think that the Vizcaino Peninsula is one of the most interesting areas of BCS. We have probably spent about 3 weeks there on two different trips.
Full trip report is expected!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 03:05 PM

Road paved from hwy about 50 miles. rest is still graded. The rest of the road and the road north along the coast can be good right after grading to very bad after a couple of weeks of big trucks. These is a lot more traffic on them than there used to be.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 03:17 PM
Isla Asuncion

is worth taking a boat trip to.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
is worth taking a boat trip to.

Hey JR-

I've actually fished off that island. My buddy and I had camped just south of town on the beach. We went into town to buy some beer when we met up with one of the local fisherman. He was probably in his early 20s (I was about 30 at the time). We mentioned where we were camped and told him to stop by some time. Little did we know that we would spend most of a week with him and his family.

He stopped by the next day and we invited him to throw a football around and join us for lunch. We asked where we could get some clothes washed and he said that his mother could do them. He took the clothes and said to meet him at his place later that evening.

After getting lost a few times, we finally asked where "Pulga" lived and were directed to his house. We had a great time meeting his family and could not believe how clean our clothes were. We tried to pay for the wash but they would not take the money.

We spent the better part of the week hanging out with Pulga and his family. The basketball court was the main attraction of this village. During the day, the school kids played basketball but at night the teens came out to court.

Anyways, Pulga and his brother took us out in a Panga to fish the nearby island. (we were going to paddle the mile out in our kayaks) I forgot what was caught but we had a blast. On the way in, though, the engine failed to start. We drifted for about a hour (it seemed like a lifetime) until finally someone had come to look for us. We made our way in and shared our day with some beers.

Before leaving, we left a Nintendo playstation with Pulga's family along with some other items we had brought down. It was an awesome week and we wanted to stay. But, we "only" had 8 weeks for our adventure and we were halfway through it.

Thanks for jogging my memory about that great week!

Zac

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 05:17 PM
Geez Zac

Tell Pulga we said hello.
We were camped probably in the same spot about 10 or 11 years ago. We had a full set up and about ten surfers with us. When we pulled into the camp spot, there were 3 or 4 surfers already in the water and some old car parked near there.
Some of our guys went out and I was setting up my surfrod. My surfrod was 14' and these guys thought it was a windsurfer mast!
The Monkey "Chongo" Surf team, (Pulga and his buddies) came in and had a flat on their car. I loaned them one from my trailer which they returned the next day.

We also ended up being fed by them a bunch, went to and ended up being the guests of honor at a quinca?era, and I'll bet the girl is still wearing the necklass my daughter made for her.

Somewhere I have pictures of Pulga and his brother and friends playing guitars, funning, and being themselves all to the delight of we gringos. We all had a blast.

I will try and find the pics. and hopefully you could print some out and give them to those guys. I'm sure they would get a kick out of it!!

Mundo chiquito
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 09:04 PM

Hey JR-

Small world for sure. I think that event took place in June of 1997. Pulga's brother was nicknamed Pinto. I recall them telling us that they had many friends who surfed. They showed us their collection of surf magazines.

A few years ago, my father and I explored the beach road from Tortugas down to Asuncion (see Baja Almanac). I went to Pulga's house but was told he had moved. A young boy jumped in my truck and took me to his new place...brand new and nice. He was not home unfortunately. I will look him this time around...if you find me some pictures, shoot them my way.

By the way, one night at the basketball court, we witnessed the UFO's...it was unforgetable and unexplainable...the locals said it's happened before...another story, though.
Zac

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 07:56 AM

atta boy whistler where are you por favor??

going to Keys short time in nov/dec selling houst there

tooooooooo many hurricanes....never there anyway, always here.

by the way, got my brain back T.S. is out, ojos in! will travel around , home base remains Ojos.........get down soooooooooooon!!!

el Vikingo de Punta Abreojos
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 08:03 AM

Good to see you here George...

I really need to visit your new Baja area... Glenn (Whistler) has been inviting me there for 6 years now! It must be great... I did get to meet the ejido president and his assistant in Ensenada when they were at their norte office/home, when Glenn took me down one day to Ensenada.

Glenn introduced me as 'the crazy gringo who searches for lost missions'! These two Abreojos guys looked at each other and said "Santa Clara" (the lost Santa Clara mission legend of the nearby Sierra Santa Clara)!:P:yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 08:22 AM
Coulda been!

And now I remember Pulgas brothers name "Pinto". Thanks.

I was surprised to hear you fished off that island. When we took the Zodiak out there, the water and island were absolutely full of seals. Including the elephant variety.

I'm still lookin for pics.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 08:39 AM

George

Glad to see you are back. Think Whistler is going down in Nov. I should be down 1st part of Nov. Say hi to everyone and let them know I should be down in 3 weeks or so. Retire in 2 weeks.

Ralph
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 03:32 PM

sanity, what's that? great news Ralph....whistler will be heading to Florida some time November....when you coming?

Dr Demento says I am perfectly wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll !!!!!!!!!!!!!

the real fisherman...
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 08:54 AM

Sell/buy sell/buy sell/buy fish/cut bait fish/cut bait

Yeah right, I'm perfectly well.........gets better just started the Suzuki have not run it in months.....started so fast it scared me..

fish or cut bait....gonna keep the Dusky and fish...must be getting better..

Sorry Mike, ya waited a little too long.........

Whistler, ready to fish out of La Bocana?? Coyote??

When do you expect to get here in Novemeber? Hope I'm/we're still around. Regards amigo have to e Denny george
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 11:18 AM

George/Whistler

Looks like I will be down there for the first three weeks of Nov. maybe arrive one thec 5th or so. need to see mon for thanks giving in Coachella Valley. Then back down.

George.... when ever your ready lets go fishing! good for the mind and heart
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2005 at 09:27 AM

Ralph, had a great dinner last night at Adella y Nacho....Capt Steve there also...Gonna have him show me the way in and out of estero coyote...

He's been doing it for years...will also be launching from La Bocana...
We will get out when you're down. Looking forward to your arrival...Nedd two springs for my mini trailer....will measure, maybe you can bring a set down...will e you measurements on your e-mail address...plenty fish around for the boats, the beach fishing stinks....will get better...

Anxious to see you all....will be heading to FL around 15 Nov return around 16 Dec................

adios amigos george
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.