Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mulege DSL/Broadband?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 11:32 PM
Mulege DSL/Broadband?

Is it really available all over Mulege and along the rio? Or is it ? What kind of installation packages are available? Is it reliable? Is it better to get a dish stateside or ? Info would be appreciated. Tanks.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 06:56 AM

it is vary good service 512 baud for about 400 pesos ,mine has never gone out. a dish will cost more and be a lot slower.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 07:06 AM

Mine works great. Im in Villa Maria Isabell. Any where they can put a telephone they can install the DLS.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 07:17 AM

yes and with the dsl you get your phone and INTERNET on the same line and can use both at the same time.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 07:30 AM

Bruce

When can I get DSL here in the boonies :lol::lol:

My neighbors did buy a Mexican Cell phone and can receive and call from right here on the beach.

That new cell service in Mulege really works!!!

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 07:49 AM

some people are having good results with the west marine high gain cell antenna on some of the beaches

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 09:02 AM
WILSON also makes an excellent cell-phone antennae (nfm)

bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 09:25 AM

Got the dsl Sharky and it works great. I wouldn't waste my money with satelite. Bruce is correct its about 400 pesos. I love the part about being able to use my phone and dsl at the same time. Couldn't even do that in Sacramento.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 09:30 AM
512 BAUD ??

There hasn't been ANYTHING that slow since the 1980s. I'm ASSUMING that you meant 512Kbps. Even that's pretty slow for DSL. Verizon's Economy DSL in the U.S. is 768Kbps (download).
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 11:36 AM
Baud vs kbps

Baud : The speed of a modem. Specifically, the number of times per second a communications channel changes the carrier signal it sends on the phone line. A 2400-baud modem changes the signal 2400 times a second. Baud is often confused with bits per second (bps). They are technically different measurements

Kbps: In the US, Kbps stands for kilobits per second (thousands of bits per second) and is a measure of bandwidth (the amount of data that can flow in a given time) on a data transmission medium. Higher bandwidths are more conveniently expressed in megabits per second (Mbps, or millions of bits per second) and in gigabits per second (Gbps, or billions of bits per second). In international English outside the US, the equivalent usage is "kbps" or "kbits s-1.".

There is a difference.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 03:42 PM
Bits and Bauds

Good dictionary description of Bits and Baud, however, the only "small" point to be added is that the two are DIFFERENT indications of data speed at higher data speeds.

Note:
Baud rate should not be confused with data rate (also called "bits per second"). Each signalling event transmitted can carry one or more bits (as many as 256 in 256-QAM modulation) of information. When each signalling event transmitted carries one bit the baud rate and the data rate are equal. However, it is more common to make better use of bandwidth by encoding multiple bits in one event. This reduces the transmission time required for sending information.

Thus, a 2400 bit/s modem actually transmits at 600 baud, where each quadrature amplitude modulation event carries four bits of information.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 06:07 PM

In Lorerto, I pay 349 ppm* for 256 kps DSL service. Subtracting overhead, that gives me download rates of just over 200 kps. Adequate for me.

They also offer 512 kps service for a higher fee.

Reliability has been good. And if you are late paying a phone bill, they cut off your phone INSTANTLY, but leave the DSL working!

There are better deals in the states, but I prefer the weather and the fishing here.

*ppm: that's peso per month, or, to ignorant Yanks, pesos per month.
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 06:26 PM

Just a question about the service in Mulege. It is wire or wireless?

In San Felipe, well actually north of town where we don't have wires, they installed a tower and we are all on Wireless DSL. We have an antenna on the roof, it is line of site. Our speeds are 64 kbs or 128 kbs. I had 128 kbs last winter but am swithing to 64 as according to the test at DSLReports.com, I was getting about 70-80 kbs. The prices are in the neighborhood of 13 and 23 US dollars for the services. The nice thing is we do get our phone back and can make calls while online, just like a wired system.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 06:27 PM

I do just fine with 28.8 kbps but it does teach you patience. No chance for DSL yet maybe later.

*kilobits per second

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
There hasn't been ANYTHING that slow since the 1980s. I'm ASSUMING that you meant 512Kbps. Even that's pretty slow for DSL. Verizon's Economy DSL in the U.S. is 768Kbps (download).

you are right I am wrong:lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

wornout
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM

I wanna see a verizon truck in San Felipe :O NOT!!! I have been in Tracy, CA for a couple months and have verizon. No DSL here, too far from the CO so its' dialup. I get a whopping 28.8 here with a 36.0 thrown in once a week or so, as a teaser . That's pathetic. I didn't think I would ever say it but I am looking forward to getting back to my Telnor DSL service @ 64 kbs.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 07:13 PM

28.8 in the states that obscene.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
wornout
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
28.8 in the states that obscene.

Yes and the helpless desk at verizon asks if I have the latest drivers for my modem. I told them, no, I am using the same ones I use when I hook up at a location down the street at 48.8. Then they say, 'there is the problem'. They just don't get it. I asked about three times for someone to switch out the pairs running to my dmark but they aren't going to do that. I leave for Baja Monday so I will be terminating this 28.8 service.

Once I cancel, then they will be concerned....and so it goes...

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 07:31 PM

check your other equiptment on the line. when I had dileup service here in mulege I got 56 but when I conected my fax I only got 28

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 08:04 PM
Bad Pair

Wornout's probably correct in blaming the cable pair. POTS will still work fine on some pretty poor cable. You notice it when you're trying to use a dialup connection.

From 1997-2000, I maintained a network support facility in the old Hemet service office right next door to the C.O. My ISP was a block away on a fiber optic span, but the OLD house cable spanning the 50 feet between the S.O. and C.O. was so poor that I never saw higher than 33K on a 54K dialup.

He's also right that they won't change it willingly since they are only guaranteeing that your POTS will work on that line and it would be the start of an avalanche if they started switching customers out.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.