Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sindicatura No-No
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

shocked.gif posted on 10-13-2005 at 05:32 PM
Sindicatura No-No

Quite some time ago, I remember a thread on mordidas and preventing them with this organization's help. Part of the advice was to tape their TJ and Ensenada phone #'s to the back of one's license where the (Mexican) cop would be sure to see it.

Today, I was advised by a (Yuma) cop, that this is, in Arizona at least, a criminal act, and constitutes illegally modifying or altering a Driver's License. Thankfully, the advice was friendly and he allowed me to remove it myself- but made sure I did. (and no, it wasn't a DWI- I was stopped at a red light and the lady in front of me backed up and cracked my #%&! plastic bumper with just a small tap.)

He advised carrying a card instead- Don't do ANYTHING to your license, not even temporarily with scotch tape or otherwise.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 05:38 PM

Interesting. When I got my last driver's license, it came with a card to sign for organ donation plus a little red peel-off dot which is to be "affixed" to the front of said license in a particular place. Of course the adhesive on the dot didn't even stick for 2 minutes. Glad I didn't glue that sucker down!

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 06:26 PM
I don't know about Sindicatura

...but I have been stopped at times and politely asked for ID, and when I fish out my driver's license, pictures of my dogs and my blond, adorable grandbabies just *accidently* come out with the ID.

I always get smiles and wave offs.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Tim
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 06:26 PM

About 10 years ago I was pulled over here in California. The officer asked me if my address was correct and I said "no". I had recently moved. He proceeded to turn the license over and write my new address on the back. Wouldn't that be defamation?

It\'s better down there!

www.timsbaja.com
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim
About 10 years ago I was pulled over here in California. The officer asked me if my address was correct and I said "no". I had recently moved. He proceeded to turn the license over and write my new address on the back. Wouldn't that be defamation?

"defamation"? I guess that would depend on where you live.:lol:

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 05:58 PM

Pompano, as I recall, it hasn't been that many years since your state started requiring Driver's Licenses at all. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, don't you have the lowest age for learner's permit or am I thinking of the license to operate farm machinery- like five, right?

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 07:01 PM

Women traveling alone (or with small children unite!) I have made dozens of trips up and down Baja "alone, sans MAN" in the last few years, and I have had "inspections" which have been "where are you from, where are you going?" Not once have I had any official ask to check my truck, (I do keep everything locked up tight) and they just smile, look at the children, say "Have safe trip "Mrs".

Funny, we have women always asking if it is safe to travel Baja alone, seems from the comments here, it is much safer for us to do that then the men. ????
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 07:09 PM

PS: I have a "Sindicatura" ......"take me to the Judge" note in my Passport on the ready. And I will in a heart beat pull that out if I ever feel I'm in the wrong on a traffic stop or feel threatened, same as I would drive to the local 7/11 (or any place with a lot of people ,if ever I feel threatened by a Cop in my home town and in a place I don't feel safe.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Quite some time ago, I remember a thread on mordidas and preventing them with this organization's help. Part of the advice was to tape their TJ and Ensenada phone #'s to the back of one's license where the (Mexican) cop would be sure to see it.

I don't know where folks got the impression that these stickers work, especially in TJ, Rosarito or Ensenada.

If you're very lucky, the cop will think that it's funny.

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 03:44 PM
Dave

It's your turn with this troller.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 04:40 PM

It's too obvious. Doug, care to confirm?

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 11:29 AM

I just went over to the SB County Sheriffs Office in California...it's just down the street....

They could care less what you tape to the back of your license as they use a computer to check for warrants anyway....

They said anything that works....

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.