Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: no signal on odd transponders DTV
pocopero

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 08:56 PM
no signal on odd transponders DTV

Since midnight 13 Oct DirecTV odd transponders have no signal except for transponder 29. Even transponders are showing higher signal value. This appears widespread from the East Cape to Cabo, Mazatlan and Guatamala. Anyone have any ideas. Some sugestions are that DirecTV has been able to reaim the antennas to restrict distribution to CONUS.
BajaRescue
Junior Nomad

Mood: Undecided

puzzled.gif posted on 10-15-2005 at 06:52 AM
DirecTV Reception Problems - Channels Lost

My neighbor asked me to look at his system since he had lost several channels a few days ago, including MSNBC and CNN. At first, I thought it was an LNB problem until I checked my system and found I had lost the same channels. D'oh!

No signal on almost all of the odd transponders. I'm only seeing signal on transponders 2, 6, 8, 10, 14, 16, 22, 24, 29, 30 and 32. Tried to Google some information on this but I haven't come up with anything.

Anyone else having similar probs?
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 06:53 AM

There was a post on Baja Pony Express that people had lost channels in the Los Barriles area

Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 08:56 AM

DTV wonders why people use pirate receivers in the Baja. Cause they think they got the market cornered and can screw with people whenever they get the mind to.:moon:
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 09:48 AM

Are These systems registered for use in the US or Mexico? Has there been any loss of Spanish language programing?
DTV's sattelites most likely have the ability to spot beam programing.
A friend from the Phoenix area recently had a similar problem when they took their receiver up by the Canadian border. They only lost the signals for the local Phoenix staions. My friend, who used to install systems for a living, could find no problems except that the transponders that had the Phoenis locals on them showed no signal.
Possibly DTV is fine tuning the area their transponders beam to.
The other explanation is that they have a major malfunction on one of their birds. The rumors I have heard about the latest DTV sattelites is that they are redundant systems .. ie there is two of everything. So they should have the ability to switch programs to other unsed transponders.
burro bob
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 11:20 AM
DTV Spotbeam

I can't speak for DirecTV, but on LEGAL or PIRATE Dishnet receivers, if you select a Spotbeam Transponder and you are not within the spotbeam footprint, you receive an error message which states that you are outside your designated viewing area.

In addition, on DISH, the only channels which are on Spotbeam Transponders are LOCAL network feeds. None of the premium channels, etc utilize spotbeam for obvious reasons.
BajaRescue
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 06:09 PM

In our case, these are legal systems in the sense that there is a legitimate stateside account. The affected transponders are showing 0 signal so this is not an authorization issue. DTV may have managed to relocate some of the satellite's spot antennas or they are suffering a major malfunction.

There is some discussion of this same issue here on the DBSTV Forum:

http://dbstvforum.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000235.html

and also

http://dbstvforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000122.html

Some hotel systems in Acapulco and in Manzanillo have reported they are currently missing some channels.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRescue
In our case, these are legal systems in the sense that there is a legitimate stateside account. The affected transponders are showing 0 signal so this is not an authorization issue. DTV may have managed to relocate some of the satellite's spot antennas or they are suffering a major malfunction.

There is some discussion of this same issue here on the DBSTV Forum:

http://dbstvforum.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000235.html

and also

http://dbstvforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000122.html

Some hotel systems in Acapulco and in Manzanillo have reported they are currently missing some channels.

how can they be legal if you need to lie about where they are to get service?

[Edited on 10-16-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 06:35 PM

I'm with you on that one Bruce. Unless Hacienda is getting a cut, Mexico doesn't think their legal.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 06:37 PM
Saint Bruce

Well, at last we've found "The" Honest man. If Diogenes stops by, direct him to Bruce.

MOST of us would say that paying the required price for a service that we receive would be legal enough, but not the Saint. He would NEVER violate ANY rule or regulation no matter how insignificant. Praise the Lord.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Well, at last we've found "The" Honest man. If Diogenes stops by, direct him to Bruce.

MOST of us would say that paying the required price for a service that we receive would be legal enough, but not the Saint. He would NEVER violate ANY rule or regulation no matter how insignificant. Praise the Lord.

there is know gray area it is legal or it is not. and if it is not I don't do it . that is the way I live my life and it works for me. I am not going to tell you what to do, that is none of my concern. you should do what makes you feel good about your self.:light:

[Edited on 10-16-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 08:11 PM

I really like to know whats legal and what's not - then I make my decision - not knowing the law doesn't make any sence to me at all.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 08:23 PM
Awed by the Blinding Light of Perfection

The Wisdom of Saint Bruce:

there is know (sic) gray area it is legal or it is not. and if it is not I don't do it . that is the way I live my life and it works for me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, we imperfect mortals stand in awe of a character so perfect that he would never break any law of the land, no matter how small or insignificant.

SOME of us break the law on a daily basis as we exceed the speed limit, massage our finances and tax deductions, etc. Of course, since we still feel good about ourselves after having engaged in criminal acts, I guess we're OK.
BajaRescue
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 08:27 PM

My comment was meant to point out that the signal problem is with authorized systems; not compromized, AKA pirated, boxes. At least the program providers are getting paid for access to their programs from the gray market.

Yes, I'm sure someone is breaking one or more laws somewhere. What would you have? Mexican border guards and military checkpoints confiscating every RVer's satellte TV and Internet dish passing South? Or maybe we should ALL pull over at the customs declaration lane every time we cross and delare the full retail value of everything in our car or truck?

"Darn, forgot that half-eaten bag of Cheetos under the front seat. Got to go back..." :saint:

C'mon. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, there is some word that the problem may be due to a recent replacement satellite moved to 101. Maybe the problem will fix itself...
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 06:54 AM

There is a pretty fair thread on this at Metcalfs board. Not a complete answer but at least a partial explanation.

http://www.math.ucr.edu/ftm/bajaPages/MsgBoard/messages/1970...
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 08:28 AM

Check out the discussions on dbstvforum.com.
New bird with unknown capabilities being put into place.
While these systems might be legal and registered in the US. By international treaty it is illeagle for Direct or Dish to knowingly provide service south of the border. With the older satellites it was not possible to block out an area. The transponders were not really moveable. Now with newer satellites they can "shape" the area of coverage.
I would think that anyone further south than Brownsville Texas might have problems in the future.
One of the poster on the DBSTV forum asked if people in Baja Sur can get a usable Dish network signal? Here in San Felipe we get a very good signal, but then I am further north than Brownsville.
buro bob
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 02:48 PM

Maybe the message in all this is that TV is not needed in Baja?
BajaRescue
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 08:37 PM

Maybe also shut off the electricity and phones, and get rid of the cars, right?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
The Wisdom of Saint Bruce:

there is know (sic) gray area it is legal or it is not. and if it is not I don't do it . that is the way I live my life and it works for me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, we imperfect mortals stand in awe of a character so perfect that he would never break any law of the land, no matter how small or insignificant.

SOME of us break the law on a daily basis as we exceed the speed limit, massage our finances and tax deductions, etc. Of course, since we still feel good about ourselves after having engaged in criminal acts, I guess we're OK.

I'm am far from being a saint. I haven't always lived my life this way. and I still catch myself braking the law somewhere. but I try hard not to do so and correct my actions when I realize that what I am doing is wrong. I realize that I am living in Mexico by choice and if I cant live under there laws then I should not be here.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRescue
Maybe also shut off the electricity and phones, and get rid of the cars, right?

That wasn't my point. I should have been less general. I meant to say that, for me, loss of TV in Baja would not be a big deal. I respect that others may have a different view.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.