BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dirt road Los Barriles to La Paz?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 10:24 AM
Dirt road Los Barriles to La Paz?

In June, 2003, we took the dirt road from Los Barriles to where it connected to the road going out to the Punta Arena de la Ventana area. The road was not bad until it turned inland, where part of it was washed out and it was just going from boulder to boulder. I thought we were headed no where, but fortunately John was more optimistic and continued on until the road again appeared.

Does anyone know the current condition of that road?

Also, when we were looking for the road, we discovered a "paved" road they were building parrellel to the beach road. We drove a little on it until the workers turned us around. It looked like the road was falling apart faster than they could build it---rock slides. Is it there still????

Thanks
Diane

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 12:06 PM

I was really hoping someone knew the answer to my questions. This is a view from that road as it climbs inland.

Diane

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 12:15 PM

Diane

I'm sorry haven't been over that road in years, but after Marty I'm sure it was washed out, but usally in a year its back in service.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Diane

I'm sorry haven't been over that road in years, but after Marty I'm sure it was washed out, but usally in a year its back in service.

Thanks for the response--do you know if they have continued with the building of the paved road?

Diane

comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 02:32 PM

Trotter

Called Mexican friend, says the road is new, that you can drive all the way.

Maybe we will go that way this weekend, need to get out of the house(gringo enclave).:biggrin::biggrin:

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 04:29 PM

According to friends in Los Barriles the paved road, in fact, did fall apart in places.
We made that same trip about 3 years ago....lotsa white knuckles. The people that live out that way usually manage to get some sort of road cut. I remember when we went, I was walking ahead several places trying to find the path....I dare not use the word road in this case.
Beautiful trip....Let us know Comi

mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 08:03 PM
Road Maybe

Go North of LB about 2 klicks, bear left and follow the NEW SO CALLED PAVED ROAD, you might end up in El Cardinal.
Maybe!! Watch for flying rocks, the size of yo mommas SUV,
Holes in the new pavement about the size and depth of the same, Caution please!
BY the Way, didn't se JR or DK along the way!!
Mike the mexican
La Ribera, BCS MX
Just Facts folks, no bullchit
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 08:33 PM

jdtrotter,
what part of the post did you not get a grip on?
A lot has changed on this road since 2003.
Get on down and run it yourself, not bad in the daylight,
just be carfull, It aint the the damn 405 freeway, but i hope I didn't scare ya off, just the facts.
M.O BCSMX
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mike odell
jdtrotter,
what part of the post did you not get a grip on?
A lot has changed on this road since 2003.
Get on down and run it yourself, not bad in the daylight,
just be carfull, It aint the the damn 405 freeway, but i hope I didn't scare ya off, just the facts.
M.O BCSMX

I apologize, I guess I just did not understand your first post and---well, it doesn't matter how it read to me as it obviously was not what you were saying. :no:

I deleted my previous post.

Thanks for the info. :D
Diane

[Edited on 10-18-2005 by jdtrotter]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 10:18 AM

Mike, I hope to do a 4WD ride this Saturday on the little used road that goes from El Socorro east into the Sierra San Pedro Martir, then south past San Antonio, Los Martires, and El Sauzalito to Mex. 1. This was used for the Baja 2000 race, and a couple others before. Baja Almanac Maps 13 &15.

My question is: Will I see YOU along the way???:biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 05:42 PM

DK,
Nope you won't see me this Sat, I'm fishing!!
Have a good trip, Hope to see you up by our ranch, fix your own tires, but the coffee is free!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2005 at 05:23 PM

Tried this road today, from Los Planes side. We drove in about 2 miles from where you get into the mountainouse area, we have a high clearance vehicle and AWD, and A/T tires we probably averaged 2-3 miles an Hr. turned around and came back not worth the wear and tear on your vehicle in my estimation, there were other tracks on the road so someone has been through there, just not me.

dono
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2005 at 07:54 AM

The new road is paved to about 1/2 mile south of Cardinal where you have to take a right down an arroyo to old coastal road then left to Cardinal. The road north too Los Planes is passable by Dirt bikes and maybe 4x4s
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2005 at 08:55 AM

We took that road north from Los Barriles in February 1999 in an F-350 Crew Cab 8' bed Powerstroke 4x4 with a Callen Camper. It was the hairiest road we had ever driven before or since. As I recall it took us close to 3 hours to go the last 10-11 miles. The views were spectacular when you were on the high parts looking down at BIG schols of BIG fish and looking north to Bahia de Los Muertos area, we have some nice photos. The wife (who was just my girlfriend at the time) was constantly telling me to stay left stay left stay left and actually got out a few times to walk rather then look straight down the cliff hundreds of feet to the rocks and water RIGHT outside her passenger window. We kept going slowly and used the four wheel drive frequently. More then once I had to get out and move roacks and also would occasionally walk ahead to see what was around the corner. We talked about what would have happened if someone was coming from the other direction and I said they would probably have to back up the half mile to the turnaround because we were in the BIGGER vehicle. :biggrin: I have ALWAYS wanted to take that road again but if I never do it will be OK! :lol:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-24-2005 at 09:45 AM

"The wife (who was just my girlfriend at the time) was constantly telling me to stay left stay left stay left and actually got out a few times to walk rather then look straight down the cliff hundreds of feet to the rocks and water RIGHT outside her passenger window. We kept going slowly and used the four wheel drive frequently. More then once I had to get out and move roacks and also would occasionally walk ahead to see what was around the corner."

Looking around the corner to see if the road was still there is exactly what my husband is doing in the picture I posted above. I was like your then girlfriend--"STAY TO THE LEFT, STAY TO THE LEFT", but I didn't get too many pictures---too busy hanging on.

Diane:yes:

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2005 at 09:47 AM

The last post posted as Anonymous---I forgot to log in. :o

Comitan, thanks for letting me know the road is still there, but in no better shape.

Diane

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 10:42 AM

We made the trip from Barriles to Los Planes on that coast road four or five months ago, found it slow-going but not what I'd call bad.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
willieb

[*] posted on 11-22-2005 at 02:50 PM

Hey Mike Odell ya old poo, how the hell are ya? This is Dan, Bobs buddy, La cazador. You have no idea how bad I wish I where setting down there with you and a couple of frosty ones. Its socked in and bone cold here on the mendocino coast.

I was just planning are jan trip down there and found the best dang forum board on the web, and found you there.

Was wondering also about the bypass from la paz. Bob will be there acouple of days after turkey day for about a week.

Don't make me come all the way out to your casa to have a beer with you. I plan to get there about the 16th of jan.

Can't wait to buy you a beer at the roost!!

Dan

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.