This is probably an old topic, but it's a new one to me and many other Nomads
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 08:50 PM

Is there a question following?

Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 06:19 AM

I don't see a question, so maybe their just looking for comments. I have traveled in both neighboring countries and the rules are pretty much the same. You should have current rabies vacination certificate with you and a medical statement for your pet when you travel. Sometimes the country you are going to will ask for them, sometimes the US will ask for them when you return. Both have happened to me at least once.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 06:30 AM
Maybe he means these

sschaneman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 06:39 AM

I have a question on pets....
We are considering a semi-retirement to Mulege. (living there full time 9 month out of the yr)
what can I expect regarding vet services and supplies? I breed min. Schnauzers and I usually ship them all over the world so I know the restrictions in transporting animals, but where would I ship out of Mulege, or would I need to drive to the nearest airport? What is the nearest Airport? I'm a OB RN so I'm not to worried about "delivering" (no pun intended :spingrin:) puppies but for vet RX things like that what would be the nearest location?
Are there any city restrictions or licenses to be a breeder in Mexico?

The trips all over Baja, a steady stream of Pacifico and the Schnauzers are the only things that have kept my husband & I sane while raising our teenagers, I would really hate to stop doing that just because we retire....not to mention we like the dogs better then most people anyway!
I'm new to this forum so please all you "edjumaKated" out there I would really vallue your advise, comments and ideas....PLEASE!
Sam
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
This is probably an old topic, but it's a new one to me and many other Nomads

Yes absolutely

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 12:59 PM

Judy
Your response is the right idea. Who has what and what do you do when traveling. Can't always take them with you. Had a Lhasa in Sacramento. Went on a month trip to Europe, and when we got back the dog actually died of a broken heart. Never got over the " being abandoned " feeling. And this is a true and not a sob story.
sschaneman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 01:15 PM
Where I go they go.....

I would be miserable if I lost the kids.... I usually have anywhere from 8-10 but for now and ever just Lilly (laying down) and Birney.

Still hope that someone will be able to awnser the questions that I posed. We are looking to relocate to the Mulege area eventually but not with out my kids.

I work as an OB RN now but I used to be in long term care and its amazing what dogs do for the mental state of mind for a terminally ill person. I figure if they bring that much joy to person with so little to find joy about on a daily basis then I will keep them around just for the insurance...:smug:

Still waiting for replies or advise from the wisdomed regulars...

[Edited on 10-18-2005 by sschaneman]

[Edited on 10-18-2005 by sschaneman]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 02:35 PM

Dogs as pets are not a problem
but....
If you are raising them for profit...you've opened a can of worms.

You'll need to have a business attachment on your FM3 and file taxes
You really need advice from an attorney

Shipping animals may be harder than you think...quarantine etc
You may need to travel with the pets to the USA to ship from there.

Heartworm is a problem in Baja so the dogs DO need shots.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 02:49 PM

We have a wonderful vet here....Felipe
We have a wonderful american style kennel...Cabo Kennels. We were gone for almost a month on one of our trips and when we got back out dogs almost didnt recognize us. When the local guy, who works at the kennel, let them into the office they went to him not us. Hurt my feelings for about 1 minute. Then I thought, wow they must really like him and being here!. He actually taught one of our mutts how to come and sit.....in Spanish of course. Which is pretty cool too.
We travel here with them and I must admit sometimes trying to find a hotel that will take them is problematic but we bought a camper and solved that one.
Heartworms are a problem in some areas. Dogs are required to have a rabies shot every year by the Mexican Gov't. In the states, they have 3 year shots, I believe.
ok more baby pix

This is mochi

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 02:51 PM

This is Eta just after we found her on the side of the road
She is one of the funniest dogs I have ever had and I think that this pic shows why.....spoiled.....oh no

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 03:50 PM

I am sorry but I know nothing about vets in Mulege but I am sure someone can help you.

In the meantime...here is another Eta(which is short for Julieta, she was born during the hurricane of the same name and she is definitely a whirlwind kinda dog)

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 03:50 PM

Hey girl,

That's precisely what I had in mind for this post. Great shots. Now if I only could figure out how to post pictures ???:cool::cool::cool:
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 05:51 PM
pets

Couple of Loreto strays that adopted a gringo.
sschaneman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
Dogs as pets are not a problem
but....
If you are raising them for profit...you've opened a can of worms.

Not for Profit just health...Sometimes female schnauzers want so badly to have puppies that before the even go into heat they "try" to have litters or manufacture litters.
Lilly would steal my husbands socks one by one for months. Finally I kinda got :fire:with him and jumped his butt about losing his socks all the time. To which I was told to kiss his :moon: he hadn't been.
Long story short and a long drawn out marrital spat later we eventually found all the socks along with my oldest sons cell phone that we thought was stolen, 3-4 stuffed babies that talked that was our neighbors little girls toys and misc stuffs under the bed in our guest room!
sooo the vet said its a common problem the easiest thing to do is let them have a litter or fix them. So one litter it was then off for a permanent contreceptive fix she went.
I actually do Schnauzer Rescue & Volunteer Dog Therapy. My dogs are all from people who either cant handle them or no longer can care for them, those that have been abandoned etc. I actually will be getting a new one Friday from Louisanna that survived Katrina. In our state I'm licensed as a breeder simply because it allows me to have more dogs at one time in the city limits. Most of the dogs that come to me are placed in loving homes but some, a special few are used in the Therapy program. They are a part of our family...it's like having an active 3 year old. And intellegence wise they are good problem solvers. They are by nature of the breed empathetic and loving.
Ok I will get off my soap box
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 06:57 PM

I've been bringing my dogs to Baja for many years. I always have vet certificates, rabies certs, etc.

One of the biggest problems I have had with our dogs are the puffer fish. The dogs want to chew on the dead, dried up bodies of the puffer fish that they find washed up on the beach. One of our dogs, a Bullmastiff, was a pig and fortunately swallowed the fish whole. She threw it up and slept soundly for three days. Our neighbor had a visitor who let her dog out the day they arrived. It ate a puffer and died that night. I burried their dog.

Sting rays are a problem too, to dogs who are curious. So can be snakes. When our dog was hit by a stingray we handled it just as if it were one of us. Hot water and Adolph's.

They are like children. Watch them.

Our vet is in Ensenada. When we lived in L.A. we made the trip just to see him. He was worth it and still is. He went out of his way to see to our dog's wellbeing.

P.>*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 04:55 AM
family members

of course its Poot !

Want what you have
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 06:12 AM

For any kind of suspected poisoning of your dogs. Force a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide(aqua oxigenada) down their throats and they will:barf:
We always have a bottle in our car for them and for cuts and scrapes for us.

Poot is a hoot. Marv

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 06:23 AM
Judy

Mochi looks most intelligent and one that I could carry on a lengthy conversation with.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
sschaneman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 06:39 AM

First off from one Dog lover to the other ....
THEY ARE ALL SO CUTE!!!:bounce:
Its so nice to know that I am not the only one who loves their critters as family! I see so many abandoned because owners just dont understand or because they dont want to take the time to train it can really make me :mad:

And to all those words of wisdome ...Mucho gracias! (see I'm learning) I would never have thought the puffer fish would have been a problem, but it makes sence...how are they to know its :!:

We lived on the North Shore in Oahu, HI for 6 yrs and we always had problems after a tropical storm or hurricane, with the little floating jelly fish in both cats and dogs (& humans who's curiosity got the better of them). The little badder that makes them float is harmless and actually is quite pretty but the gelatinous tentacles are deadly stingers and are virtually transparent and colorless. They would be washed up on shore and get inspected, leaving the inspectee with quite a souvenier and usually a trip to the ER/vet. Usually the only thing we could do for them was to treat the pain. Even though, I gotta admit, the long walks on the various beaches both in HI and Baja with my K-9 buddies are credited as some of my most memorable moments and I would gladdly tolerate the occasional hurricane!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.