Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: The "feel' of Baja
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 11:08 PM
The "feel' of Baja

I feel a bit compelled to write this post and get back to our common kinship and loves for Baja. These days I can't seem to fit the block into the right slot here. Can't really put my finger on it either as I cogitate.
I'm sort of bewildered how my attitude, preference and dialog has evolved. I'm not to thrilled with the tenuous interaction that has become all too familiar. A family of sorts, with all that comes with it.
We will manage to coexist, we have to. We enrich each other even at our worst.

The "Feel" of Baja...

Don't ever say you don't understand. It would never wash. It comes from the soul, a feeling of excitement and satisfaction akin to good sex only lasting longer. :rolleyes: I have had the same feeling in Kauii, and felt the same warmth from the locals. It is a special place too. They know it.
Baja is a special place, we know it. Hopefully all of us.
The warmth of Baja and it's people reflect the warm feeling inherent in our travels and visits to Terra Mago. Suddenly and without our knowing, are gripped by the awe of surreal desert landscapes framed by majestic mountains and cool inviting waters. Special visual allure.
The faint smell of desert flowers in bloom or the scent of sea and saltair. Take a deep breath. Special allure for the senses.
The taste of Baja be it a cold bottle of water or a lobster dinner beckons us at every new stop.
More special allure.

I have heard it over and over, the "feeling" as discribed by newcomers and long-timers alike.... is the allure we all share.

[Edited on 10-18-2005 by Sharksbaja]

[Edited on 10-18-2005 by Sharksbaja]
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 06:47 AM

Sharks, I'm not really a social creature but I "feel" the culture. Once on a ranch I asked the ranchero the name of his handsome dog. He said "he doesn't have a name. My cows and chickens don't have names." Years passed and I forgot that little cultural difference. A local handyman came walking up my street followed by a little brown dog I had not seen him with before. Ever the curious gringo I asked the dog's name. He looked skyward, looked at me, looked at the dog and said "Coco". How's that for courtesy -- he made up a name for the dog right on the spot to please the name crazy gringo.
Markitos21
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 07:26 AM

BRAVO!!
It's about Baja and living to the fullest anywhere.
BRAVO!!

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 07:48 AM

Very well said, Sharks. Thanks !!

I still relish the "moments" when something triggers my mind and for a short time I am in Baja in my mind.........mmmmmmm.
Although I have traveled quite a bit over the years, I have more of these "moments" about Baja than anywhere else, by far.

Thanks to ALL Nomads, functional or not, kindred spirits all, for helping to keep the "feelings" coming !

Osprey, wonderful example of the cultural difference.......thanks.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 11:45 AM
That Real Baja Feel

For many starts at the border. The shoulders feel less weight, the anticipation of things known, or unkown that are about to happen, the stories previously read or heard, true or untrue. You are now in a different world. Disneyland/Las Vegas but different. This kind of entertainment is for those of a different cut.

When you realize that you would rather head south rather than go to Las Vegas, Disneyland, Family Get Togethers, Work, you begin to see things a little differently. You have been hit. Not your fault but you realize that Ma Nature has something to do with it, smiling faces seem to be contagius, and food tastes better than it ever has.

So you keep coming back. And then it hit's.

It's a feeling of "Cool". "Well, I think I am so cool with my Baja experiences that Baja doesn't start at the border anymore but Maneadero, El Rosario, wherever."

And living in Rosarito, it did used to take until El Rosario before the wild Baja feeling hit and the weight was lifted. I think it has to do with freedom.

But, this too changes. After traveling the peninsula a bunch, spending parts of the year in the south, and parts up here, I experience that same "excitement" heading back north to Rosarito.

There is just as much thrill going from the wilds of Tijuana/Rosarito to the wilds of San Bartolo/San Evaristo as there is on the return trip. That's because they are different. But, way entertaining no matter which "wilds " you end up in.

I wouldn't trade for anything! Thank you Baja!!
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 02:52 PM

Traveling north or south

Anybody has had the feeling that you travel on a totally different road when you travel hwy 1 in the opposite direction from the way you came ?? Anywhere in the peninsula ,I recognize the road going in the one direction, but it always looks like a different one coming back. Anyone has that experience ??
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 03:16 PM

Yes... it is much sadder when I drive NORTH on it!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 04:15 PM

One day I was talking with my neighbor about nothing in particular. I had asked how Maria, his wife, was doing when this dog that I had never seen before limped through his yard.
I said....Que paso con su pierna? He said that he had been to the Dr and thought it was a little better......blah, blah.
It never occurred to him that I was talking about the dog. And, up until that moment, I did not know that he had leg problems

Because, you see, what I said could have been translated...what happened with your leg or his(the dog's) leg. He assumed I meant his. Now everytime I see him I ask how his leg is....you will all be glad to know that it is better.

The dog, however, still limps.

[Edited on 10-18-2005 by bajajudy]

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Sharks, I'm not really a social creature but I "feel" the culture. Once on a ranch I asked the ranchero the name of his handsome dog. He said "he doesn't have a name. My cows and chickens don't have names." Years passed and I forgot that little cultural difference. A local handyman came walking up my street followed by a little brown dog I had not seen him with before. Ever the curious gringo I asked the dog's name. He looked skyward, looked at me, looked at the dog and said "Coco". How's that for courtesy -- he made up a name for the dog right on the spot to please the name crazy gringo.

Osprey, I met a Fernando at Pt Escondido 27 years ago (my first drive that far south) who named his dog "Eat while there is food". Something like "Come quando hay". I couldn't speak Spanish at the time, so it was translated for me. I have many tales to tell you about this interesting man (perhaps even worthy of being a character in one of your stories) if you would like to hear.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 06:10 PM
I would like

to hear.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
For many starts at the border. The shoulders feel less weight, the anticipation of things known, or unkown that are about to happen, the stories previously read or heard, true or untrue. You are now in a different world. Disneyland/Las Vegas but different. This kind of entertainment is for those of a different cut.

When you realize that you would rather head south rather than go to Las Vegas, Disneyland, Family Get Togethers, Work, you begin to see things a little differently. You have been hit. Not your fault but you realize that Ma Nature has something to do with it, smiling faces seem to be contagius, and food tastes better than it ever has.

So you keep coming back. And then it hit's.

It's a feeling of "Cool". "Well, I think I am so cool with my Baja experiences that Baja doesn't start at the border anymore but Maneadero, El Rosario, wherever."

And living in Rosarito, it did used to take until El Rosario before the wild Baja feeling hit and the weight was lifted. I think it has to do with freedom.

But, this too changes. After traveling the peninsula a bunch, spending parts of the year in the south, and parts up here, I experience that same "excitement" heading back north to Rosarito.

There is just as much thrill going from the wilds of Tijuana/Rosarito to the wilds of San Bartolo/San Evaristo as there is on the return trip. That's because they are different. But, way entertaining no matter which "wilds " you end up in.

I wouldn't trade for anything! Thank you Baja!!

One of your best posts JR, thank you.:biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 08:28 PM

Thank you!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 08:30 PM

now back to our regular programming........:lol:
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 08:38 PM

Skipjack, Was Fernando the guy that owned /operated the little restaraunt/store there on the point?(at Puerto Escondido, B.C.S.):?:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Skipjack, Was Fernando the guy that owned /operated the little restaraunt/store there on the point?(at Puerto Escondido, B.C.S.):?:

Absolutely! He operated that little restaurant on the bluff near the pier. I think you posted a picture of that place if I remember correctly. Fernando was from Mazatlan and worked at Pt Escondido. When we were there in July it was soooo hot that Fernando would sleep outside on the concrete slab next to the building. There was no air conditioning. You looked for anything that gave relief. I caught my first dorado with Fernando.
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 10:14 AM

Nice post Jr. I think I'm just echoing what everone else has said. I always felt a calm relaxing feeling once in baja. It really didn't matter where. It all felt like home to me. Then the sadness would set in the moment I headed north again.

I have to admit that since I've became a permanent resident, the feeling has changed. I no longer have the sad feeling when I go north. Probably because I know I'll be back soon.

Love the dog story....

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 12:04 PM
Photo test

Zarra Falls near Santiago
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 12:08 PM
Try again

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 08:01 PM

Skipjack, It was not me that posted that pic of Fernandos little blue store/restaurant, but another Nomad asking in the title of the post"Where was this place?" I got it right off but I'm embarassed to say I can't think of who posted the picture!Did a search and came up with nada, not knowing the posters name. He(Fernando) was a kind man, and had the sweetest little kitty kat that my youngest would carry around the area.(she was 3 yrs,and now 28) We camped there on the rocks, right next to his place for a month or so. Nice to have sodas and a few staples right there to buy from him.. What memories!!

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 08:05 PM

I been feelin' baja for a long time.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.