BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First timer driving from TJ to La Paz?
Borderhopper

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 10:05 AM
First timer driving from TJ to La Paz?

What is the estimated driving time of a regular passenger car from TJ to La Paz? Is this a trip I could make over the course of a 4 day weekend? If not does anyone have any alternative sites to visit south of Ensenada? I'm new here so forgive me if this question has been asked a few times already.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 10:20 AM
Driving and fatigue

La Paz is too far under the best of circumstances for a four day weekend. The road is pretty messed up right now which requires your undivided attention which is very tiring.
I would recommend Gonzaga Bay as you would then have time to appreciate the beach instead of just constant driving. Or Bahia de los Angeles which is a little further south but has a better road at this time.
If you are really into the driving part, go to Gonzaga from Puertecitos. Que bonito!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 11:40 AM

You did say passenger car, and not SUV or pickup truck, right?

Gonzaga does not need 4WD, but requires either 40 (from the south) or 60 (from the north) bumpy dirt road miles to get to.

My vote would be Bahia de los Angeles for a 4 day trip (8-9 hrs, one way). There is a town there, restaurants (Las Hamacas #1), motels (Casa del Sol #1), campos with palapas or cabins (Camp Gecko #1, 4 mi. south), stores, etc. I have tons of L.A. Bay area photos in my web site... Getting there you will drive through the world's most spectacular desert scenery, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Borderhopper

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 02:08 PM
Thank you

Thanks to the both of you for the information. I will start researching these options and will probably skip my plans to go all the way to La Paz. You've both been a help!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 05:38 PM
First timer

Au contraire....
The very most beautiful parts of your trip will be the rock garden at Catavina and the stretch along the Concepcion Bay.
Try for the Parador at Catavina for the night, enjoy those wonderful rocks, boojums and cactus in the evening and morning light. We spent a full week right there with a UCSanta Cruz photography class.
Then shoot for Loreto (a long day) and a leisurely drive down along Concepcion Bay the next morning. Be sure to wear your Polaroids, and spend lots of stops looking down into those wonderful waters.
We drove from La Paz to Modesto in 23 hours in 1974 but much of that was over 100 mph and about 80 mph through California, probably not well recommended for sightseeing.

Baja Vida!!
Baja Again
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 08:54 PM
I don't think so.

I don't think so. And I bet your Modesto trip didn't include many washed out Vados from the hurricanes.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 10:44 PM
LaPaz to Modesto

That was the year that they "completed" the transpeninular highway although long stretches were just graded and waiting for paving.
Most of the Northern half was in pretty good shape, not many potholes and the unpaved stretches were real fast, just as fast as pavement when you had been pre-running for days.
And we hit LA about 2 a.m. and that was before the 55 mph speed limits so the CHP was letting you rip on an early morning about as fast as you wanted to go.

Baja Vida!!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 10:55 PM

Day 1- Cross border and get tourist visa. Head down coast on toll road looking to your right at gorgeous views.Stop at El Mirador for photo op. Ensenada for lunch. Top off tank at south end of town.South to Cielito Lindo before dark for room/camp and crab claw dinner.

Day 2-Southbound in the AM top off tank at El Rosario continue to Catavi?a for room/camp.

Day 3- Up early to watch the sunrise amidst the boojums and boulders of a most unique part of this or any planet. Spend day hiking and scrambling over and IN big rocks.

Day 4- Up early head north top off tank in El Rosario and continue on to SQ and lunch at El Paradiso. Continue on to Ensenada and have dinner at one of many great places. Take toll road back to border.

Remember to come to complete stop at ALL red lights and stop signs. Always use your signal and drive SLOW thru inhabitated areas. :D

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Baja Again
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 11:52 PM
Passenger car

Ooops, I would have to agree with TheCrazyCat except you may enjoy the Old Mill in San Quintin rather than the transition period of C.L. And, you could probably fit in a drive to La Bufadora with that schedule which is a very interesting side trip.
You probably don't want to take a chance of something bad happening to the car on at least the Gonzaga roads. People have been to Bahia de los Angeles recently so they will inform you I am sure of the pothole conditions that can pretty much destroy a passenger car.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 07:20 AM

2/3 of the 41 mile highway into Bahia de los Angeles is all new pavement. The last 1/3 has had most of the pot holes patched by the L.A. Bay community's efforts. Just slow down for the final few miles... L.A. Bay and the drive to it represents a good example of Central Baja for these first timers, and four days is the perfect minimum for that distance. See http://davidksbaja.com/bedman and http://davidksbaja.com/bedman2 for pics by Bedman and http://davidksbaja.com/703 from my last trip.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.