Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Reinventing the Taco
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 10-20-2005 at 03:54 PM
Reinventing the Taco

As some of you know by now, i have decided to go ahead and start a project to open a new Taco place here in Tijuana, but not an ordinary Taco place, i am thinking about gourmet Tacos, new Tacos with new combinations of meats, chesses, sauces, herbs, spices, you name it, theres no limit to the amount of ingredients i can use in these Tacos. I already have about 10 Tacos that will have anything from Pastor Salmon to Lobster and beef, and since this whole new idea is to create something different, i tought this board would be great since americans are so good at experimenting and trying new things that the traditional Mexican would never consider.

So, if you have a great recipie for a different Taco, something exotic and great tasting that you think can make its way into my menu, let me know, i off course intend to make money off of it, and for those that give me an idea that i can use, you will win yourself a lifetime of free tacos at my new venture.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 04:18 PM

The Gringo Cantina and Tacobar....set up as a saladbar only fixin tacos!
Good Luck Jesse.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 04:23 PM
Fudging the definition of taco

With your permission, I'd like to propose two "tacos". One is certainly stretching the conventional definition.

First the conventional definition. I'd like to see a taco made from smoked, firm fish that uses a brown sugar/teriyaki brine that remains rather like a glaze on the fish. Add to this some deep fried slices of jalapeno peppers, without the seeds, that have been marinated in soy sauce. These would NOT be batter-dipped jalapenos; just fried as-is. Then cover the whole thing with cabbage and drizzle crema mexicana on it. Probably best on corn tortillas.

Now the unconventional.

Serve a traditional Greek gyros "taco" with the gyro meat, the tsatsiki, tomatos and red onions marinated in Greek herbs and olive oil and wrap in a traditional pita. But next, (and this is what I used to get in Greece but haven't really seen offered here) add a few of the thin French fries like they serve at a McDonalds. These would go right into the pita along with the rest. Delicious, though not sure how economical this could be created. With the FF on the top, people can pick a few out if they want them solo or eat in bites with the rest of the innards. Greek fast food is becoming more and more popular up here.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 05:17 PM

1. tacos pescado with other fish ie salmon
2. Smoked fish tacos
3. Veggie tacos ie roasted peppers
4. Chicken tacos for the anti beefers
5. Steak tacos with chunks/strips instead of ground - tenderloin medalions
6. Pork tenderloin tacos with pork medalions
7. tacos with marinated fish or beef - fried or not
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 05:31 PM

1. Blue collar gringo tacos - hamburger helper with the seasoning packet
2. Lazy gringo tacos - McDonalds patty, onions, ketchup, mustard, cheese
3. Sea loving gringo taco - crab sticks with mayo
4. Ghetto gringo taco - Alpo or oother canned delight (try cat food for that
almost fish-like taste and smell)
5. Road kill tacos - different every day !
6. "Seasoned" tacos - with meat that is more than two weeks old
7. Recycled tacos - personal ingredients recommended
8. Ethnic tacos - Bratworst/polish
Sushi
Lo Mein
Gefilte fish
Curry
Meatball
Armadillo
Reindeer
Blowfish
Tim
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 06:20 PM
Tacos

It's nothing that is new in the Mexican culture and it's not exactly gourmet -- but nothing beats a good, deep-fried potato taco. MMM!!!!!!

It\'s better down there!

www.timsbaja.com
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 06:52 PM

Also for the veggie bunch......

Zuchinni, battered and deep fried (similar to fish), served with a bleu cheese dressing, hot pepper sauce such as "El Pato" and finely sliced cabbage.

Therianthropic
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 07:05 PM
i just grilled some carne asada...

we had asada taco's with green onions,queso,habanero sauce,and just a little crema...if you get the pre marinated carne you can't go wrong because it has so much flavor...wash it all down with a cold Cerveza,i could eat that same dinner almost everyday:yes::yes::yes:

Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 07:21 PM
Tacos al Viento

I'll second that Tim- you beat me to it.

My grandmother used to put fresh mashed potatoes in a corn tortilla and pan fry them . Add some lettuce, cheese and salsa they are muy excelente
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 07:30 PM

I've found that GOOD corn tortillas need to be made with REAL yellow corn for flavor.
They are getting harder to find lately in So. Cal.; there seems to be a switch to the white corn tortillas with much less flavor.
From what I'm told, the white corn is for the aristocrates and the yellow corn is for everyday folks.
Maybe someone could elaborate on this for me.

Therianthropic
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 07:34 PM

Tacos Hawaiiano:

Pollo with a drizzel of plum sauce, Lettuce,Salsa made with tomatoe,papaya,pinapple, topped w/sour cream.

Plum sauce or duck sauce.

[Edited on 10-21-2005 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 07:35 PM

Maybe nothing new, but when I think 'gourmet taco' , I think about Huitlacoche and Flor de Calabaza. The filling can vary, but what's really important is to have the best quality tortilla possible. For me, that means hand-made- no machine pressed. My Cachanilla friends reject corn altogether and only want flour, but I spent so many years in central Mexico that I have a deep appreciation for fresh hand-made corn tortillas made from nixtamal, NOT masa harina. There really is a difference. Of course for "trendy" gringos, Blue Corn torts might be an attractive menu item.

Totally aside, in my younger days I hung out with a couple of novilleros who were "bien leperos" en esto del "cotorreo". Whenever we would pass by a tortilleria, "El Tieso" would ask the ladies; "?Estan Calientes?" When they would answer in the affirmative, he would always say "? Aguantense, ahorita vuelvo![:lol:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 07:38 PM

From the Pacific northwest, how about Halibut tacos. And from the Midwest, catfish tacos.
Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 07:39 PM

Oh, almost forgot, from Texas, BBQ rib tacos, make sure to take out the bone.
Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 07:40 PM

Here's another, from Washington State, Dungeness Crab Taco!!!!
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 07:55 PM
hey Mike you can get the real yellow corn tort's

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Supino
I've found that GOOD corn tortillas need to be made with REAL yellow corn for flavor.
They are getting harder to find lately in So. Cal.; there seems to be a switch to the white corn tortillas with much less flavor.
From what I'm told, the white corn is for the aristocrates and the yellow corn is for everyday folks.
Maybe someone could elaborate on this for me.
at Trader Joes here in So. Cal.,theyre pretty cheap too;D

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 11:16 PM

Gracias to all, lets keep this thread alive, so many good ideas, the hawaiian taco, the cuitlacoche, the bbq, i guess i am going to owe you guys a lot, so later i am going to post a great marinade i use for carne asada.

Saludos
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 06:50 AM
Its all in the corn

I agree that the most important part is the tortilla.
I dont care what you put on an old tortilla, it tastes like....doo doo.

There used to be a place in Oakland that we went to regularly and while you were sitting in the restaurant waiting for your food, you could hear mama in the back patting and slapping the masa to make the tortillas. It made the entire meal taste better to know that those tortillas had just been made to order!

So I vote for fresh handmade tortillas

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 07:32 AM

^Taco Valladolid (Yucatan style)

Chicken w/a drizzel of chinese duck sauce, lettuce, salsa made from tomato,papaya, banana topped w/sour cream.

Duck sauce can be subsittuted w/an appropriate Mexican sauce.
Jesse. with both of the tacos I submitted you could add mango or substitute, I'm sure that you will want to experiment I think you will come up with something exotic.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 07:33 AM

Use a sweetened flour tortilla with chocolate and pastry cream and roll an eclair - or with sweetened apple to make an apple turnover type deal.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.