BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HUGO LOPEZ's BACKPACK THE BAJA COAST (July 2006)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 11:00 AM
HUGO LOPEZ's BACKPACK THE BAJA COAST (July 2006)

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
"...He wants to walk the coast with others for the next Baja-Rosario Cultutral Festival."
David, tell us more!! Backpacking? I'm there!!

OK, sure... and Hugo would welcome others to join him...
The next Baja-Rosario Festival (July, 2006) will have some serious athletic event(s) like a mini olympics. This is to get the kids in town away from that tendancy to use drugs or get/cause pregnant at too young an age. Antonio told me that making sports part of the next festival will get the kids even more involved in positive activities (good on you Antonio). One of the Baja Nomads is helping get professional U.S. team support for one of the events! (I will let that Nomad ID himself if and when he wishes).

Anyway, a backpacking walk (ala Graham Mackintosh) along the coast from Guerrero Negro north to El Rosario, completed at the start of the fesival is a desire of 55(?) year old Hugo Lopez (who paints those beautiful works of art at his 'Tacos Mision' cafe).

I have met with Graham and told him about Hugo's plan... Graham's advice was to take a tea kettle pot and some aluminium tubbing to fashion a sea water still like he did in his first book, because (said Graham) water will be the only problem... Food is abundant, but man needs water constantly while hiking.

I offered to take Hugo on a research trip from Santa Rosalillita north over the Thanksgiving holiday (Fri-Sun), so he could see the area and check on what fish camps are along there so he can leave caches of food and water ahead of the hike.

It is very possible that many Nomads and Baja people may want to participate in this walk the coast with Hugo event? Baja Cactus may be able to arrange it as one of the Festival events and insure that enough caches of food and water are placed along the coast so the hikers can reduce their load (water is heavy, afterall)...

Wilderone, if this gets interesting to a lot of folks, I will make a new thread so these posts don't get burried in my weekend trip post.

Hugo is a small fellow, here he is behind one of the pieces that now hangs in the Baja Cactus lobby...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 08:58 PM

Is the research trip open for others to join?...that would be a nice ride....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.