Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Got pulled over today in TJ
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-25-2005 at 07:30 PM
Got pulled over today in TJ

Took the wife down to have some dental work and her brother had some furniture to take to his house so we loaded it up and headed down. On the way back to the border we were heading for the SENTRI lane and there are several gloriettas that you have to negotiate. At the last one I pulled up to the stop sign and noticed a police car to our right waiting to enter the round about from the adjacent street. I waited for several cars to go thru until it was obviously clear. During that time the cop car did not move even though 3 or 4 cars had passed directly by him on both the left and right. I said to my wife and her brother that this guy is waiting for gringo in big truck, that he must have dinner plans at Hacienda de Tijuana and he wants us to buy. I then proceeded slowly off the line and around the statue of the nude gal shooting the arrow and here he comes lights flashing. We pull over. He gets out and pretends he is talking into his radio calling in our license plate. Then he walks up to the window and says in spanish that we have three people in the front seat (F-250) that's against the law. I point to the wife's seatbelt around her waist and say "como?" He looks disappointed and waves for us to go and I slam it in drive and hammer it to the SENTRI lane.

This has to be at least a dozen times I have been pulled over in the last 6-7 years. Once I got a ticket for going the wrong way in La Paz the fine was $ 11.26 US. That is all the money I have ever had to part with to date.

VIVA MEXICO!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 08:27 PM
It's not too early.....

....for them to be thinking about Christmas shopping money.:lol:
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 08:51 PM

Thanks for the laugh hook.....:lol:
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 11:27 PM

Maybe I'll make a trip to TJ and see if I can support their cause. Never been stopped there, but I've been followed a few times.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 04:11 AM

bastards....glad i fly.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 05:09 AM

Good, no mordida.
Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 05:10 AM

I've been stopped a couple of times over the years. I have heard acting really dumb works getting off.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 07:14 AM

Qualifies me, don't even have to act:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 07:32 AM

Drivin' through TJ for over 40 years and never stopped.

Guess it is the older vehicles I prefer to drive in Baja--the best one was an old Toyota with a cow catcher and a few dings--even the women drivers would not tangle with that baby.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 08:19 AM

BTW, the "nude gal" is Diana, goddess of the hunt. It's a copy of the one in Mexico City on Paseo de La Reforma at the foot of Chapultepec Castle.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 08:46 AM

I love the reasons they stop you. I got pulled over for not coming to a complete stop in a residential neighborhood. Its probably true that my wheels were still moving but a snail could have had time to get out of the way of my tire. I wait for my wife all the time when she has something to do in Ensenada and I count the cars that do not come to a complete stop. it keeps me occupied. In La Paz if you stop at a stop sign you WILL get rear ended.Three people in the front seat, thats a good one. I also like the "You are not wearing a seat belt". That's a classic, or you have a tail light out, or your tags have expired, or your window is broken and your girlfriend is flat chested. Is there a Police Handbook for cops in Mexico with all of these Gringo infractions?

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 09:07 AM
Full and Complete Stop

Years back, in the U.S., I received a ticket for not coming to a complete stop at a traffic sign. Signed up and went to traffic school. The instructor was a CHP officer. When discussing that offense, he said that he focuses on the front wheel of the vehicle and if he notes ANY movement at all, it is a violation. My reply was "so, you're one of those [buttcracks] that I <b-tch> about". Luckily, it wasn't possible to be failed from traffic school as long as you showed up. Otherwise, I'd have been dead meat.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

puzzled.gif posted on 10-26-2005 at 10:04 AM
Please, you've got to be kidding

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
I love the reasons they stop you. I got pulled over for not coming to a complete stop in a residential neighborhood. Its probably true that my wheels were still moving but a snail could have had time to get out of the way of my tire. I wait for my wife all the time when she has something to do in Ensenada and I count the cars that do not come to a complete stop. it keeps me occupied. In La Paz if you stop at a stop sign you WILL get rear ended.Three people in the front seat, thats a good one. I also like the "You are not wearing a seat belt". That's a classic, or you have a tail light out, or your tags have expired, or your window is broken and your girlfriend is flat chested. Is there a Police Handbook for cops in Mexico with all of these Gringo infractions?
:?:
Wile I agree with you in the part of comming to a complete stop in La Paz can be a cause to get rear ended, I dissagree that the others you mention are gringo infractions. They are just infractions that apply to all of us. elgatoloco's response was correct and showed him the seat belt so the cop was mistaken and waved him to go, you can find that in http://www.tijuana.gob.mx/Reglamentos/ReglamentoDeTransito/R... # 56 fraccion VII. I was pulled over for my got baja? sticker in the back and I had to prove that it was not obstructing visibility, that would be Articulo #36 of the same handbook you asked for. Now if I go to California, there is also a handbook or law for that state that has all or more of the same Mexicano Infractions listed. It probably does'nt have a flat chested girlfriend rule but it might have a vieja nalgona one :lol:
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 11:08 AM

Please you've got to be kidding?

fdt, I assume that you believe everything you read in that book you are referring to. All you have to do is take a drive through the streets of TJ or Ensenada and see all of the cars with Mexican drivers that do not have current registration or for that matter even a license plate, with broken windows, and tails lights out and are they pulled over for an infraction? But if a gringo has any of these he will be singled out, pulled over, and hit up for mordita. Please tell me Im wrong, please......That was my intent on posting that message. How many times do you see a vehicle making a right turn or left turn from the lane next to the indicated lane. In Mexico, all the time. I did it once but because I had Cali license plates I was singled out and paid the fine. While the cop was talking to me at least 20 cars did the same thing while we were there. Did he remain to ticket others NO. Just me.

So whats your point fdt? That the traffic laws in Mexico are for everyone? Well in essence they are but thye are largely overlooked if you have Baja plates.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 11:13 AM

I was stopped for speeding near Rio Hardy heading to Mexicali. A car with Baja plates was also stopped. The Fed Hghy officer got the registration & dr. lic. from the driver of the other car and then came to me (carring the papers from the BC car). Told me I was speeding and to drive slower in the future and Ok to go-. Headed back to the BC car and started writing.?????

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 11:55 AM

bajalou, I am not suggesting that every single instance or occurance when you are pulled over that the cop is profileing. That was not my intent for my post. My Brother in Law is a Captian for the Federal de Caminos and he agrees with me what happens with respect to what I wrote. Now I assume we will hear from everyone who has had a good experience with the Mexican Police. Well, I have had several good stories to tell as well, but more of the kind where I was profiled because of who I am and what I drive. I also have the story of when I was beaten unconscience by the Mexican Police for something I did not do....Thats for another time.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 12:13 PM

lizardlips,l I don't doubt your experiences at all, just sharing one of mine. I haven't experienced what you have, but certainly believe you. I have paid fines several times for speeding and not stopping at stop signs - and I was always guilty as charged. Like someone else said, I drive older pickups - nothing fancy so probably am less of a target.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
neilmac
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 01:05 PM
What a place!

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
BTW, the "nude gal" is Diana, goddess of the hunt. It's a copy of the one in Mexico City on Paseo de La Reforma at the foot of Chapultepec Castle.

Coed nekkid bowhuntin!... and the family wonders why I love Mexico!

Neil
Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 01:39 PM

Some good stories here, some not so good.
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 03:05 PM

Five years ago I made a bad passing move on Highway 200 in Nayarit---I started passing a car and ended up finishing the pass on a curve. A Federal de Caminos was coming in the opposite direction and had to pull over. He turned around and pulled me over several miles later. I thought I was in big trouble, but after carefully going over my papers, he advised me to drive more carefully and wished me a good day.

I guess there is a wide range of experiences.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.