Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Escalera Nautica renamed
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2005 at 01:24 PM
Escalera Nautica renamed

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/20051030-9999-1m30...

IMHO, interesting article.

Diane

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2005 at 01:45 PM

Very interesting. Thanks, Diane.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Markitos21
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 07:10 AM

I wonder what california would be like with no marinas.
Do you think the mega rich would let the enviormentalist stop them? Besides Cabo I dout baja will turn in to Newport Beach.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 12:45 PM

(1) California is not a peninsula; (2) the marinas along the California coast were built with municipal funds; (3) the California marinas were secondary to already established populations and need - not first created and then hoped that they would be used; (4) the "mega rich" have little to do with controlling the construction of marinas in California; (5) FONATUR definitely wants Bahia de Los Angeles to become a Newport Beach - just look at Cancun and Akumal - but more intelligent people have already protected much of the area ; (6) the new name for Escalera Nautica is still the same ill-conceived plan - still the same flaws, lack of solid data to support the concept; and (7) the marinas in California are primarily filled with boats which reside there - not boats in transit. For many of the boats in transit, there are simple bouys with day fees - no dock or marina at all - so why would a marina, in and of itself, bring more boats south. They don't come because it's a difficult sail on the return trip. That won't change.
Do you really think that people sailing south into Sta Rosallalita in their $50,000 sailboats will want to hoist them out of the water, put them on a trailer and drive them over to Bahia de los Angeles on a narrow highway, and then hoist them into the bay over there? Do you think the hoist equipment, the trailers, manpower to get the job done, etc. will be cheap? Why incur the extra expense? Twice (how else would they sail back home)? If they can sail around the cape to get back home, they can sail around the cape in the first place. Who is responsible if the hoist breaks, the trailer driver crashes into a military jeep going too fast around a corner, or if any damage at all is incurred? If Fox wants hospitals and schools in these towns, then he should provide the funds for hospitals and schools. Hospitals and schools need employees too. Why hasn't enough support through the Mexican government been forthcoming in the past for these poorer towns in Baja California? There is something fundamentally wrong here.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 12:58 PM

Ever since I heard about the project, I thought it was very ill-conceived and would not work, at least not in my lifetime.

That is why I found the article so interesting. The plan wasn't working under the old name, so give it a new name and try again!

In the future, I do believe Baja will become VERY developed, but again, not in my lifetime. :tumble: And, IMHO this idea of build it and they will come only works well in the movies.

Wilderone,
I couldn't agree more with your last statement!

Diane

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 01:02 PM
Wilderone,

I have always been skeptical of the E. N. in it's original, grand form. But the one aspect of it that seemed to make the most sense was the land bridge. The amount of aggrevation saved by not having to sail or motor around the cape (and back, god forbid) will probably appeal to a significant number of people.

Of course, this is dependent on what they might charge. But if they charge too much, then the word will get out and the gringos won't come. I would expect the free market to have a say in that.

I don't look forward to the land bridge's completion for rather selfish reasons. If it happens, there will be a tendency for those who utilize the hauling service to want to stay in the Cortez for a significantly longer period than the average trailerboater. That is going to put a premium on the small anchorage spots that we all love.

I predict the land bridge portion WILL happen. The string of marinas south of there are much less likely.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 09:32 AM

good points hook. I also think the ladder is coming, how long? the gulf is a great destination for small to medium cruisers, but the trip around the tip is a problem. it will increase the visitors, but I dont believe it to have a large effect, just my opinoin.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 09:54 AM

A land bridge would be awesome. I'd be the first to go from LA to San Carlos, Sonora.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 09:54 AM

I've always considered the Escaleras to be the marine equivalent of those white-elephant paradores along Highway One--facilities planned by Chilangos who don't know squat about what Gringo aficionados of Baja California are looking for when they visit the place.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 11:29 AM

Do you really think that enough American Boaters will put their expensive boats on Mexican trucks for a trip on Mexican roads??
It seams a shaky situation to me especially when you consider the Baja winds, roads,
, trucks and the equipment that they usually use in Baja.
To sustain this operation they are going to have to move a lot of boats

They can?t even keep a ferry running regularly, and the Motorcycle riders that use it
Say you should bring you own tie downs and tie you bike yourself.

How about tying your own boat down.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 02:38 PM

Who said they would be using trucks.
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 02:47 PM

Their Plans
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 05:02 PM
Well, A.G.

Its not like their talking about driving the whole length of the peninsula. They could widen just the area between P. S. R. and BOLA. We have all seen the new turnouts on the BOLA road; I assume that is to allow passage around the wide loads.

I think I would probably trust the service....but right now I only own boats that I am able to tow w/o a service. I thought the last I heard was that the Grossmans (of San Carlos Marina fame) was the likely candidate for the hauling service. Based on the S.C. Marina, Marina Seca and his mainland hauling service, I have no doubt it would be a topnotch operation. Bonded and insured and all that.

The problematic thing will be providing water at both ends of the "bridge' for the employees, for the gringos in slips and the resulting infrastructure needed. THAT might be the biggest challenge.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 06:23 PM

Here is one of the turnouts recently installed along the 41 mile L.A. Bay highway... they are about every 3 miles.

[Edited on 11-3-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 06:34 PM

So much for the old days of heading to Bahia, turning off the highway, looking forward to stopping to pee in a pothole.

At least if I make my own pothole there will be turn out spaces for boats to pass me by while I conduct my business for ol' time's sake...

P.<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 07:09 PM
I like a woman

that's willing to pee in a pothole. My wife is. That was part of our unofficial marriage contract.

Can you imagine bringing a city girl to Baja and having to find her a clean john?

Many arroyos to cross.......
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 07:56 PM

Hook,
Sounds like you have a real baja tested and proven woman.
A real baja woman won't be afraid to help fill all those arroyos in, or at least give it a fighting shot!

Saludos!
P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 08:31 PM

Akumal is no Newport Beach, maybe a small Shell Beach...... nor is Cancun. Maybe Puerto Adventuras but still way too small. But, they are all very beautiful and much different than anything in baja.

aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 02:15 AM

I hate to sound like a cynic but avoiding Oncoming 8 ft. wide big rigs are bad enough to try to maneuver away from a head on. Now imagine the humiliation of being RAMED by a 60MPH, 10 ft. beam sailboat on friggin' dry land!! I Don't think E.N. will ever pan out economically. Another Mongolian cluster flock pipe dream. Typical.
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 02:18 AM

I am however, very happy about the road improvements.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.