BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: In the margarita rut? I like a different kind now and then...
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 09:41 AM

Old fashion glass, fill with ice, pour generous amount of scotch, emit triple sec and margarita mix and voila, my favorite drink:bounce::bounce::bounce::yes::yes::yes:
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 12:09 PM

Mango

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Monia
Junior Nomad

Mood: Peacefully Remaining

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 01:34 PM

How do you make your own margarita mix?
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I have some Glenlivets at my disposal.

Don't you dare! :(

Please,PLEASE, if it has other ingrediants than what a margarita has...CALL IT SOMETHING ELSE!

It's difficult enough (re) educating bartenders about martinis.

(No as*hole, I don't want it made with vodka.)

elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 05:17 PM

I don't much mess with perfection...which means I drink my Jack Daniels straight...and don't add odd things to a margarita. My recipe for a margarita does not include sugar, sugar syrup, or prepared mixes. I just use tequila, citronge, and fresh lime juice (preferably the small mexican or key lime) and serve it on the rocks with a salted rim...una margarita sin sal es como un amor sin besos!!!

I do drink limeade with a shot of tequila and a little hit of citronge from time to time, but I don't consider it a form of margarita.
Monia
Junior Nomad

Mood: Peacefully Remaining

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 05:29 PM

Thanks Pompano. That sounds like a good party punch recipe as well. Have you ever tried Sotol instead of Tequila?
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 05:38 PM

I'm with you Eliz. and Pompano ... Jack Daniels with water on the side YES!!
My husband would rahter die than put anything other that a few drops of water in his Glenlivet:tumble: !
My favorite martini in Baja is 1.5oz Tequila, 1/4 oz damiana, 1/4 oz triple sec or cointreau, 1oz sugar water and 3 limons squeezed. Shake over ice and VOILA!!!
(those measurements are aprox. I have trouble measuring anything!!)
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 07:24 PM

Vodka should, indeed, be kept in the freezer. However, don't think Grey Goose, think Chopin (made with potatoes, not grain). There's a Polish restaurant in my town that serves an incredible cold shot of buffalo grass-infused potato vodka. Don't seem to be able to recall the brand name, however . . . memory's a bit vague from that night. Maybe too much polka music.

Anyway, back on topic, for a margarita variation, try adding a tablespoon or two of freshly strained passion fruit nectar to the standard recipe of three parts tequila (I like Orendain blanco for mixing, but Hornitos or better is good) to one or two parts fresh lime juice (depends on your taste) and a splash or two of Cointreau/Controy. Shake well with ice in a martini shaker and strain into chilled martini glasses rimmed with salt. Passion fruit are seasonal and can be hard to find, but since a little of the nectar goes a long way, you can make ice cubes out of it. Then, in the dead of winter, pop a couple out to remind yourself what paradise tastes like.
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 08:01 PM

Glenlivit..........OK, how about Dalwhinie?
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 08:36 PM

POMPANO

For a turkey living in the far northern tundra, you sure seem to know a great deal about civilized societies greatest passtime, boozing it up. Run for president and you'll have my vote. Of course I would have given it to a chimpanzee in the last election.:lol::lol::lol:
BTW, love your posts.!!
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 10:52 PM

Quote:
Arrrgghhh..... A true Martini should be composed of nothing other than gin and vermouth. The only acceptable garnishes should be either olives, lemon peels, or pearl onions. This will hold true until the Martini Inquisition.

A martini always gets an olive. With an onion it's called a Gibson. I don't know about a twist.

Just found out that my favorite gin, (Genever) is no longer being imported. :(

Anyone going across the pond? ;D

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 09:09 AM

Pompano

I was weened on that stuff!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Our daughter comes across the pond now and then. Christmas at the latest. I will ask her about the oulde Genever and could drop it off on our way through Baja.

WOW!

That would be the bestest Christmas ever!

THE BEST MARTINI (For the mixology challenged)

3 oz Genever (straight from the freezer)

2 Nicoise olives. (marinated in vermouth)

That's it! No mixing, stirring, shaking...just drinking.;D

(Formal wear optional)

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 02:42 PM

BOKMA old genever ( oude jenever ), can't be beat:P:P:P
PabloS
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 11:25 PM

I'll second that :bounce:, have not seen Bokma for sale anywhere for years :no:
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 11:35 PM

Martini. Gin, of course. Glass in the freezer. Gin in the freezer (bombay sapphire is nice). Olive choices are personal preference. I like standard ones and from time to time exotics like Jalepeno stuffe, garlic suffed or blu cheese stuffed.

Remove glass from freezer. Pour a bit of Vermouth in glass and swish around to coat the inside. Then pour in gin from freezer.. NO ICE
Favorite garnish....Viola! My Martini.

Bill:smug:
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 11:30 PM

as far as the margarita rut.....I always like to add Damiana in my Margarita a little something I learned while in San Jose Del Cabo many years ago and as far as martini's I like mine a little dirty......just add a touch of the juice of the green olive or with the gibson....some of the onion juice....just seems to give them a bit more flavor.......yummmmy a nice dirty martinin sounds really good right now ......delicious...
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Arrrgghhh..... A true Martini should be composed of nothing other than gin and vermouth. The only acceptable garnishes should be either olives, lemon peels, or pearl onions. This will hold true until the Martini Inquisition.

A martini always gets an olive. With an onion it's called a Gibson. I don't know about a twist.

Just found out that my favorite gin, (Genever) is no longer being imported. :(

Anyone going across the pond? ;D

DAVE:
With the new regulations for Handluggage - one would end up in troubles. And I daubt it, the bottle would survive in the checked in luggage. So - you'll have to cross the pond yourself, and get a drink here!!!:rolleyes: SORRY 4 U

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.