BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: What's your Baja Drive???
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 04:00 PM

Phils

Theres a VW Safari 1974 in Cabo Listed Gringo Gazette.

$3500 Phone 143 6875.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
msenior

shocked.gif posted on 11-4-2005 at 04:05 PM

Phil S

Heres one...

1974 Volkswagen Thing
Description ? $1,200, VW (2) '74 Things & (1) Thing body for parts. (1) good eng. $1200 obo (843) 333-1568

Mike
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 04:12 PM

two of a few:coolup:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 04:45 PM
Lucille, the red haired woman

We had to buy this jeep so we had something for my mother-in-law to ride around in. Lucita Burrita is really the dog car now.
We took this jeep from San Javier to Comondu about 2 years ago. All along the way we kept seeing Baja 1000 signs. By the time we got back she was riding pretty rough. When we took her into Mike Quade, our mechanico, he said, "Where in the hell have you been?"
We told him, "Following the 1000 trail" We had bent something, I think it was a tie rod(mechanics are not my strong suit) so badly that he was surprised that it still rolled.
On the trip we averaged 15 km per hour....big fun.

We also have a 91 GMC long bed crew cab w/o 4x4 which we used to use in our business in the states since you always seem to need a pickup truck for something, we have kept it. It is still my favorite vehicle to drive. People are always amazed that I can parellel park this monster.....19 1/2 feet stem to stern

lucille.jpg - 41kB

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
My uncle flipped his Samari, no alcohol, speeding or being young involved, but, that was years and years ago. I think his was a early 80's rig, they had to have dealt with the roll over problem by now?

My Baja rig is a 4Runner and since I got all the problems fixed (2 engine rebuilds, new tranny, wiring problem, back window computer (that alone cost me $615, $450 for the plug in part and $165 to plug it in, geeze I hate car mechanic's! It now runs like a dream and I comfortable for the long drive south. I love that rig!

I don't know how to post pics. but, maybe DK will do that for me, he has pics. from one of our trips.

Here is all I have... your 4Runner next to my truck at Las Animas, July '04:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 06:48 PM

Pompano. That surely beats a refer for "cargo". He wasn't planning on trying to "float" the thing was he? Wonder if it could have been done?

Baja Lou. Your right about that. Reason I'd want one that hasn't been "beat up".
Phil S
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 06:57 PM

comitan. I'll call the Cabo number when I get down there. Hopefully will still be available. Thanks for the number.

msenior. Mike. I called him and he said all three would make one good "thing". Since I'm not mechanically inclined, I passed. But thanks for sharing that phone number. For a mechanic, that's a good price I think.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 07:14 PM

I think that sounded like a good deal for the price - but it's aways away from Baja - and I already have 5 rails, 2 BajaBugs, I VW van and a 68 beetle. Some think that's enough for mne???

:saint:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 08:20 PM
Had a flat...

...and by the time I got back, there were plants growing in the 'bed'...Mulege, on the North side of the 'river'...

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 09:01 PM
El Boogy Rojo

He's always ready to go looking for waves. Strap rods on to the roll bar and the fish-bucket fits perfectly between the seats. Throw dirftwood up on the rack, and rocks and shells in the backseat.

If you sweet-talk him, he'll tow the trailer to that ugly place called the dump.

After the "fire incident", his electricals were miraculously salvaged by Antonio who rewired him with all black wire.

The headlights are long gone, so remember to bring the flashlights if out after dark. Sometimes he'll even shift in to Reverse for you, but don't expect any sudden stops since there's just a sliver of a brake pad.

Never had a gas gauge but there's a special palm tallo next to the driver's seat that's just as reliable when dunked in to the tank.

Yeah, he rides a little low and we bottom out on lava rocks occasionaly, but he glides across the beach and over the dunes like a hovercraft and he's taken us on some of the best adventures of our lives.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 09:13 PM

Looks like a good ride - and yess, a little low--:o

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 09:40 PM

Hey Bajalou, tell me about the rack on top of your bay window bus. And what is that, a washing machine drum? :o

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 11:14 PM

It looks like an aluminum propane tank. Check out this ebay site and scroll down to the white Suburban with the full length rack. I would love to have this guy make me a full length rack for my VW van.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/72-X-44-X-6-Custom-Welded-Ste...
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 07:27 AM

the best Baja hauler I ever saw was in a Pemex in front of me somewhere outside of La Paz: a mid-seventies 4X4 Suburban with the inside gutted to bare metal, just 2 seats in front, and a rubber mat covering the entire floor. The guy had painted the entire rig, inside and out. He had the back doors open with at least twenty 10-gallon fuel tanks he was filling up to take back to the marina. You could haul a huge amount of stuff, secure and out of the weather, and still have a comfy ride.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 07:44 AM

Santiago

You must be talking about my Mogote Bus, It will go anywhere. I will take a picture of and try to post.

[Edited on 11-5-2005 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 11:10 AM
monster bug

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
Check out this ebay site and scroll down to the white Suburban with the full length rack. I would love to have this guy make me a full length rack for my VW van.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/72-X-44-X-6-Custom-Welded-Ste...

If you guys in Baja are interested in a rack like this, I just got an e-mail from him.
He is very close to me.
I could pick it up for you and deliver.
Another reason to go to Baja.
It might cost you a soda and dinner.

Corky :lol: :lol:

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 05:48 PM
The Bull (front)

Glenn Horn spends a lot of time traveling to the various surf breaks in Baja with the "Red Bull". One of his annual stops is out front at three and halfs in San Juanico. If you ever see him, be sure to say, "Hi"... one heck of a great guy!
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 05:50 PM
The Bull (rear)

This tail is always happy!
roverdude
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days, Mornings Maybe...

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by turtleandtoad
I'm more interested in how it would handle crossing a steep hill, perpendicular to the slope, with a 45 lb load strapped to the top.

Definitely more than 45lbs on top. Here, I'm off-camber, heading to Mission Santa Maria...
http://roverdude.com/images/600_baja_32_.JPG
I can even sleep up there. Here I'm at Guadalupe Hot Springs...
http://baja4x4.com/mediac/400_0/media/IMG_7664.JPG

I call it the Dudemobile.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.