BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good Books and Resources for Baja Backpack Trips?
LoretoBound
Junior Nomad

Mood: excepcional

thumbup.gif posted on 11-5-2005 at 10:30 PM
Good Books and Resources for Baja Backpack Trips?

I've started researching good backpacking trips for Baja and thought you folks out there already have a lot of experience and sources. I'm especially interested in the Laguna mountains.

Thanks in advance...happy trails!:D

Longing for Loreto
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 10:15 AM
Cave Paintings

Checkout Harry Crosby's book Cave Paintings of Baja California"..Great maps-locations of many sites to get to in the local mountains..

HAPPY TRAILS...
dug
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 10:26 AM

Graham Mackintosh's Into a Desert Place and Journey with a Baja Burro will inspire you even though they aren't specific to your area if interest.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 10:43 AM

The Baja Adventure Book by Walt Peterson, Camping and Climbing in Baja (a La Siesta Press book), The King's Highway in Baja California by Harry Crosby (riding the mission trail on mules)... Photos of most of these books in the Baja Nomad Literature & Historic Interest Forum!

PS: Already mentioned, but do get Graham Mackintosh's books! http://www.grahammackintosh.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 12:35 PM

We have all kinds of adventure books on Baja.
One is about hiking around Punta Chivato.
Check out our website!

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 10:11 AM
La Laguna

In the past several years it is a requirement to have a permit to hike up to La Laguna above Todos Santos/Pescadero. It is a great hike as this mountain range is an "island" of endemic species left over from when Baja was much wetter. Allow a day to get up and a day down, then enjoy the time up there. Amazing area of oaks and pines and water year-round. Not a lagoon up there, but a big meadow with a stream running through it. There are usually some park ranger(s) in the area as this is an important watershed and protected area. Permits are available in La Paz, possibly in Todos Santos. Somewhere I have the La Paz tel # for the permit and will post it if you are interested.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 11:06 AM

Jack
I would be interested in that number too!
Thanks

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 11:09 AM

I've backpacked to Mission Santa Maria. There are 3 sources of water along the way (one at the end, of course), so that makes the trip comfortable. Generally speaking, if you are knowledgeable about the terrain (passable?, features of interest, water availability), can use a map and compass (cross-country trek) and have good lightweight backpacking equipment, the peninsula is yours. I've often thought about backpacking around the cerros in the Sierra de la Giganta - the region before San Xavier seems like a good place to go out a few miles - some of the prettiest Baja landscape I've seen. And the great murals region (Sierra San Francisco) is another trip - permit, guide required, but certainly a custom backpack trip could be arranged as well. Laguna Hansen; Sierra San Pedro Martir.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 01:22 PM
La Sierra de La Laguna-Permit info

OK, here 'tis. Hope it is still current.

CANACO, La Reserva de la Bi?sfera
Phone (112) 2 68 90 or new system 01 (612) 122 6890

Address: Isabel La Cat?lica No. 985
La Paz, BCS CP 23000

We won't be down for a month and then doing boat stuff, so if anyone has better info for obtaining the permit to hike La Laguna, please post it. I'll get over to the office to verify it when we get down to La Paz, but with the ma?ana infection it may be a while.

An old e-mail possibility is bosnews@cabotel.com.mx and of course, www.ine.gob.mx which is Instituto Nacional de Ecologia. But these tend to be out of date and needlessly complex.

Let us know of any trip up there and other contacts. Fascinating area with lots to see and do!!
LoretoBound
Junior Nomad

Mood: excepcional

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 03:08 PM

Thanks Jack! This area is of high interest to me and I appreciate everyone's suggestions. 8 days and counting!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
OK, here 'tis. Hope it is still current.

CANACO, La Reserva de la Bi?sfera
Phone (112) 2 68 90 or new system 01 (612) 122 6890

Address: Isabel La Cat?lica No. 985
La Paz, BCS CP 23000

We won't be down for a month and then doing boat stuff, so if anyone has better info for obtaining the permit to hike La Laguna, please post it. I'll get over to the office to verify it when we get down to La Paz, but with the ma?ana infection it may be a while.

An old e-mail possibility is bosnews@cabotel.com.mx and of course, www.ine.gob.mx which is Instituto Nacional de Ecologia. But these tend to be out of date and needlessly complex.

Let us know of any trip up there and other contacts. Fascinating area with lots to see and do!!

Longing for Loreto

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.