BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja's best small big town, or is it big small town?
MH_Stevens
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 06:56 PM
Baja's best small big town, or is it big small town?

There are very expensive and developed resort towns like Cabot and there are towns isolated with not even an old adobe shack and nothing to do. I'm asking what town best represents the middle ground. The best town with enough facilities to be livable and not get boring but with the old world Baja flavor not yet destroyed.

Cheers,

Mike Stevens
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 07:02 PM

Mike

You can't have it both ways, if you don't want to get bored and have things to do, and all the facilities to be liveable, you won't get the old mexican town atmosphere.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 07:10 PM

Mike
I hope this wont sound hard but you need to get your butt down here and find out for yourself what it is all about. Other people cant answer your questions for you.
Come on down and check it out for yourself. It is not for everyone.

PS dont bring a gun!

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 07:17 PM

And stay away from Loreto:bounce::bounce::bounce:
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 08:24 PM

Wow-that's a tough one....I really enjoy Bahia Tortuga and Bahia Asuncion out on Pt. Eugenia...but they're both pretty isolated. I suppose it all depends on what you're looking for....weather, ex-pats, large grocery stores....

Zac

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 09:29 PM

Too many variables on this for a quick answer. Like how well do you get along in Spanish [which doesn't necessarily require fluency). Would it bother you to have people staring at you--and sometimes giggling--every time you appear in public [this one relevant only in small towns]. Can you adjust to shopping for meat in places that have only cuts you've never seen before? Would it bother you a lot if, after having done something, you find out that local people consider you to be totally stupid?

These are things only you can evaluate.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
MH_Stevens
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 12:51 AM

My answers to Bajalera are no. I love meat and food I can't identify and virtually nothing bothers me. I can find all I want to eat in one of those front room stores like Jose's in Santo Thomas and a few street cart vendors. Don't really want to meet any uncool Americans either.

Bajajudy of course is also right - I no need get my but down there, but as some of you know I need get my bypasses replaced before I can travel and I'm just itching to go so I'm asking stupid questions.

Cheers,

Mike Stevens
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 01:48 AM

Sounds like you'll make out okay. Really, the only way to find out if you'd like living in a Mexican town is to go to Mexico and live in a town. Wiithout burning bridges behind you.

Give it a year, and if it doesn't work out, take the bridges back. You'll have gained an experience to talk about the rest of your life. [But do be kind to the uncool Gringos you're bound to run into. We can't all be hep.]

For a small town I'd recommend San Ignacio, and Leree's Inn [which now has another name) would be a great place to recuperate. For a larger town, La Paz is still oriented more toward Mexican tourists than to Americans, and has amenities that are lacking elsewhere.

Your questions aren't stupid, so keep right on asking them when you feel the need.

And good luck!

Lera

[Edited on 11-7-2005 by bajalera]

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Would it bother you to have people staring at you--and sometimes giggling--every time you appear in public [this one relevant only in small towns].

Still wearing those purple tennis shoes?

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 11:19 PM

Ah, so the purple tennies are why they giggle. I had been blaming it on the blouses that show my navel.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Ah, so the purple tennies are why they giggle. I had been blaming it on the blouses that show my navel.

Innie or outie?

Yeah, that'll do it. Put the two together and it would be ROTF instead of just giggles.

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2005 at 09:19 PM

And stay away from Loreto

Vandenberg: Why do you say to stay away. Loreto must appeal to some people or it wouldn't be growing so fast. I have loved Loreto for 35 years now....but some would not like it there. Some (in fact, many) love Cabo San Lucas---but, its not for everyone. So, please, tell me what you don't like about Loreto.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2005 at 11:35 PM

all and all i think loreto is just what the doc ordered for me have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 11-11-2005 at 10:53 AM

We have all the bad stuff in Muleg?.....
Go Away
Nothing good here..............

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2005 at 03:04 PM

Sharky

After I reread my post, I realised that it didn't sound the way I intended. It was supposed to be a little " Tongue in cheek " I've been here since the 80's and would like for the place to stay like in those days, therefor my post. An impossibility of course, but sure would be nice. The way we're going , we will be another Cabo or Cancun. It's like starting a wildfire.
Again, apology for my bad post.:no::no::no:
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

tongue.gif posted on 11-11-2005 at 09:25 PM
Vandenberg

Sorry--I took it wrong too. I, like you, would like Loreto to stay the same forever, but, it just can't be. Progress is everywhere. Mexico, here in the U.S. Like they say "you can't go home". No apology needed---I was just curious.;D

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 06:13 AM

whistler

when ya comin home?
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 12:55 PM

Whistler

I like your once in 20 years philosophy. Make it once in every 30 years we, in Loreto, will like you even better:P:P:P
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 04:08 PM

Elias calles, nothing there, no restaurants (locals will cook something up for you if you stop by), no electricity, water most times, nice people, population about 75. Lived there full time for about 8 years, still go down to our place every few months. Heaven on earth

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
[But do be kind to the uncool Gringos you're bound to run into. We can't all be hep.]
[Edited on 11-7-2005 by bajalera]

"Hep"? Jijos, Lera. I'm too much of a gent to ever ask a lady her age and I ain't no spring chicken myself, but that one is from my parents' era. What's next, 23 skidoo or cat's pajamas?:lol:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.