Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Shrimp
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

sad.gif posted on 10-20-2003 at 07:14 PM
Baja Shrimp

After watching a National Geographic or PBS special on the Sea of Cortez narrated by Edward James Olmos about 10 years ago I never eat Baja shrimp.

It featured footage from a trawler showing the bottom of the sea being dragged, bringing up everything in the trawler's path. The catch: about 500 lbs. of living things and about 5 pounds of shrimp. The shrimp was kept and the rest dumped into the ocean to die.

Have not eaten a Baja shrimp in years.:(

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 09:48 PM
baja shrimp

I travel a lot with Baja Vida...
Believe me, he will eat anything, absolutely anything.
Of course that is usually after the evening c-cktail hour (which generally starts around 2 pm)

Baja Vida!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 10:51 PM

I am wondering if Gulf of California shrimp is harvested in such a poor manner that boycotting is recommended as a way to change it... then change it to what?

How are Gulf of Mexico shrimp harvested? I saw Forrest Gump several times, but didn't learn of a differnt way.

If there is a better way, then why don't the Gulf of California fishermen do it that way?

Thanks... I want to learn something!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 07:04 AM

Bycatch Reduction Devices are quickly becoming mandatory in all American and European shrimp fisheries. They usually work by deflecting larger "bycatch" species away from the trawl net. They are effective in reducing bycatch by 60-90% and reduce the take of shrimp by around 10% per drag and pull.
Market dynamics are changing the way all fisheries operate. Regulation, boycotts and competition from "farm fish" are all factors in the equation. Don't we all remember when San Felipe was the Shrimp Capital of Mexico! Real butter with mine, please!
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 09:26 AM

I wonder if that documentary was done about the time that the japanese had just about wiped out the cortez shrimp population, and the mex boats were doing whatever it took to survive? Or possibly a pbs documentary giving their slant on how it's done.
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 05:39 PM
Only what I saw

From the mid 80s I made several trips a year to KINO BAY. In the begining I would see four or five lights on the water at night (shrimpers). By the mid 90s I could count 60 to 100 boats a night. The last two years I haven't seen one shrimper. I think there may be three reasons that come to mind. 1. There very few shrimp left. 2. The Mexican Gov is doing a better job of policeing the season which should be over went I'm normally there in May and November. And finally the Seri Indians now have fast boats and guns and if there's commercial fishing going on in thier area. they board and take. It's been a big hassel for the Mexican Navy
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 07:26 PM
But Bajarunner, have you ever seen me eat Baja shrimp?

I don't know how Gulf of Mexico shrimp is harvested, but seems that a lot we see these days are farm raised.

Now about the PBS slant--the pictures did not lie.

Could have been when the Japanese had a run on shrimp, but I recall it was a Mexican boat.

Has anyone seen the program?

[Edited on 10-22-2003 by BajaVida]

No se apure y dure.

M_Man
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 07:59 PM
Trouble With Shrimp

God Almighty know how I love those delectible decopods!

I jumped for joy a few years back when "farmed" shrimp became commonplace!

Then I read a little article about Shrimp farming in Thailand. Seems they just built a dam out front of the mangroves and installed a pumping system and seeded it with shrimp larve.

Those mangroves were destroyed as seafood nurseries, no more fish, crab, or lobsters were growing up there.

A few years back the farmed shrimp crop failed worldwide. I never heard weather scientists figured out why.
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 09:08 PM
Think they are suceptable to disease and pollution.

I miss those guys.

No se apure y dure.

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 09:59 AM
shrimp,hecho en Baja?

I'v been on beaches where the by products of the shrimp harvest float in during the night,it's not a pretty site,but how do you tell if it's a wild shrimp or one that is farm raised out side of LaPaz on the road to Tecalote?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 01:24 PM

I have also given up eating Baja Shrimp. In fact, I gave it up
last night when I finished the last that I had brought back on Tuesday.
The great taste of the little buggers was dampened somewhat by the
Yankees losing, though. Fortunately, I've got a few kilos sitting in
the Sun Frost waiting for my return this weekend.
No question about the side effects. Right now the beaches are covered
with dead fish.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-12-2003 at 12:50 PM

Just got back from the Shrimp Festival in San Felipe. Ate shrimp and drank beer almost every meal. God it was good!! Brought home 30 kilos, @ $14.00 ea. Wayno
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2003 at 08:00 PM

Vida: You should be aware that the Shrimpers stopped about 10 years ago and the Shrimp are thriving and well in and around Loret. The boats are not allowed and I have seen with my eyes on everal occasions the taking of an illegal
Shrimper.
If you would like to take the chance for some good Shrimp again go down to 9oo Ft. just North of the Tip of Lower Carmen island. Take several cans of Dog food with a small Shrimp, trap. Take a few for Lunch ,there will be no killing of by Catch. Skeet.Loreto

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.