Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rolls Royce Mystery
okiegumbo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 02:48 PM
Rolls Royce Mystery

Does anyone know the story behind the Rolls Royce that was parked for years behind the gas station/motel at Santo Tomas? Is it still there?

Okiegumbo
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 10:30 PM
Don't know that one, but....

I know a truly wonderful story about a Rolls Royce parked in front of La Perla in La Paz for a few days, some 30 years back.
Has to do with a failed Mexican 1000 race run, a despoiled Texas judge, a 'lady of the night' and other nefarious characters.
It will take some arm twisting, but I just might empart the tale if so persuaded.... and yes, it is a lengthy story....
And yes, I was there for the whole thing..............
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 12:46 AM
thebajarunner

Please:yes::yes::yes:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 07:21 AM

I Heartily Suggest that you tell theStory.
Were you by any chance the "character who Tore Up the "Cat Ranch"? shortly after the Race?

Skeet
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 08:50 AM

:D We're waiting:)

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 03:25 PM

I want to read this one!
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 04:35 PM

http://www.forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=3949#pid2...

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 07:02 PM
Good find, Tucker!

I had totally forgotten that I had previously told that story.
Actually, there are some postscripts that I will add when I can find a few minutes.

As to the "Cat House" event....

Wellllllllll (or as my Mexico born wife sez, "Pues")

Gotta think about how to respond to that one.

I ain't admitting nuthin' at this point, but I do have some very distinct memories.....
but no, I was not there for the "tearing up" event.

Mebbe I will try to think of a sanitized version of my one and only visit there,
then again, mebbe not....

tbr

ps. I was only a spectator!!!! That's my story, I'm stickin' with it!!!!!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 07:09 PM

Yea Tucker...great find

Runner.....come on, we wont tell;D

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2005 at 08:31 PM

Couple more RR comments from my good old buddy Don.
(you need to go back to the referenced post and re-read the story to appreciate these comments-)
http://www.forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=3949#pid2...

anyway, Don always wanted to race one of his Rolls in the Baja. He had bought an old burnout Rolls and had it stashed behind his shop. His plan was to sandblast it down, install some drive train and try to get it past the NORRA inspectors. About that time his business started failing, he got to drinking, and SCORE took over, so that dream just sort of died away.
Too bad, because for all the publicity that Pete Torres got with the Edsel, think of the press that would have followed Don in the Rolls.
(1972 1000, Pete passed us on the San Felipe pavement in the Edsel, really hauling the mail with his NASCAR motor, then the whole thing went up in a fireball right in front of us- I was sure that we would get into the oil on the pavement and spin out, but we motored on past and finished second)

The other sad post script to Don and the Rolls collection was all the bad drinking that he got into. He actually got a DUI while he was home from prison awaiting a trial on yet another DUI..... man, the guy just piled 'em one on top of another! He is up at Pelican Bay State Prison (the really 'hard duty' place in California) for life for all the drunk driving convictions. (A local judge friend of mine called me one day a couple years back and said, "If you want to see your old Baja Buddy, he is sitting in the front row of my courtroom.") And, he left a couple dozen Rolls behind, all of which expired in a mysterious shop fire while he was "away."

So much for my Rolls in Baja stories.

Now, on the the "Cat House" subject.
Actually, we need to move this to a new thread, which I will do after I contemplate how much I wish to reveal.
Great stuff, but gotta be careful how you tell it.
Oh yeah, and I cannot wait for Doug to pull the plug on a thread pertaining to "Puta Casas en Baja."
Stay tuned....
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2005 at 08:07 AM

Please tell the Story, but be careful about Absolute Names. One of the Young Ladies at some of the event is now a very important Lady in la paz!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.