BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Start of race in Ensenada
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2005 at 08:34 AM

You might be able to get a room in one of the smaller out of the way motel/hotels. Just drive around and check them out. However be prepared to camp. If your following the race out of town be aware that there will be lots of traffic going out hwy 3 and Ojos Negros will be a mad house early in the race and maybe later when the racers start back to the finish. If you don't have one yet, maps are on the Score site at www.score-international.com and on the RLH site at www.rlhcomm.com. Have a great time but be carefull driving, take your time. There will be a lot of crazy people out there, especially after a few drinks.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2005 at 09:26 AM

Ensenada is most likely "full" as far as rooms go....if you watch the start and plan on following the race at all be prepared for LOTS of traffic heading east on Hwy 3 ....if you don't mind missing the start you will be better off going to OJOS area...camping will be fine there....from there the drive east will be easier somewhat to follow the race.....I will be at OJOS probably (or mile 75 crossing for the start... )
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-10-2005 at 10:00 AM

There very well could be last minute room cancellations, if any team fails to start or breaks early. Check the hotels the evening of the race.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2005 at 10:53 AM

Yes indeed....and if you can stay awake long enough, see the winners finish 14-24 hours after they start!

Have fun D'Rat and Br'er Rabbit!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2005 at 04:07 PM

D-Rat
I'll be in Ensenada sometime Saturday morning hopefully at the finish line. Look for our quad 96 A if you guys are up that early come start time. I'll be on the esatside of baja waiting at race mile 155 or so for my turn.
Also, I'll be going to Ensenada Thursday morning from El Centro for registration. Call me if I can be any assistance for you guys. Paul
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2005 at 04:33 PM

DR,

Here's the site on SCORE where there is a Schedule as well as a list of hotels.

http://www.score-international.com/baja1000/index.ihtml

Try to get down to Ensenada for "Contingency" on Thursday evening. Many of the riders/drivers make themselves available for questions, autographs, and such.

I know Andy Grider (Dust to Glory) will be there, and I'll bet others from the movie will be too.

If you have no luck, shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send you a poster with a few autographs on it for your son.

Have a great time!

Go 6X!

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2005 at 07:57 PM

Desert Rat,

Camping out might be your best bet. We are going to have a house full, heading out on the 15th, and will be camping out on the course for 4 days. A place you might consider camping out at would be Campo La Jolla or Villarinos, both located in Punta Banda, about 20 minutes south of Ensenada, on the road to La Bufadora. You and your son could camp there and easily drive into town Thurs. for Contingency and again on Fri. morning for the start of the race.
We'll be back home on the 19th, later in the afternoon/evening. It would be nice to see you again. I still have the directions to the top of Mike's Mountain that you wrote for me a few years back that I have yet to put into gear. I keep saying one of these years...

Saludos!
Paulina

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-11-2005 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Rat
Thanks for the info, Bufeo and Paulina. We plan to be in Baja this Monday and will make a quick run up to San Pedro Martir to search for Blue Bottle Mountain, and the trail that leads down into Diablo Canyon. If there is no snow and there is enough time, we might make an attempt to climb Picacho.

No snow yet, are you going to try and find the cooking cup you lost up there :O

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 06:56 PM

"Mom" and I will be at the Ojos Negros Hospitality Tent. Stop by and say "Hi"

Therianthropic
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 07:55 PM

Awesome trip you had there D'rat!

How much paving was in past the Meling Ranch road... if you recall?

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 08:02 PM

D-Rat,

Sounds like you had an awesome time at the races. Any chance you can give me a little beta on the Blue Bottle trail? Any landmarks or waypoints? I'm going to try for a springtime trip to Diablo in '06. (I know, I know... I said that LAST year too. But this time I MEAN it.)

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 08:27 PM

So, the pavement is well beyond the ranger station/ park entrance?

Look for a big increase in people visiting which can bring in trash, grafitti, fires, etc.

Like Mama Espinoza says "Bad roads = Good People... Good Roads = All Kinds of People"

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-27-2005 at 08:21 PM

Desert Rat,

Thanks for the info. You may u2u me if you like, or simply post what you have here on the boards.

By the way, interested in a possible March trip to Diablo?

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.