Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cien Fuegos
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2005 at 09:04 AM
Cien Fuegos

The Search for Cien Fuegos

My early Baja runs were from Las Vegas to San Felipe and beyond. In those early, salad days I drove a little too fast ? anxious to get to Mexico; really the liquor store in San Felipe. I would literally run from the truck to the front door, eager to see if my favorite tequila, Cien Fuegos was still on the shelf.

For many years I was not disappointed. There it was, the distinctive label captured me like no schmaltzy Madison Avenue ad. Simple, distinctive, descriptive ? Hundred Fires; a pastoral scene of Mexican field hands burning the agave heads in the field, getting them ready for the big wagons to haul them to the distillery.

I would load up on the sweet stuff, let the air in the tires down to 19 pounds, bounce and slide my way to the first night?s campsite on the beach. With plenty of ice and gas and provisions I could take my time setting up camp, picking out just the right tunes, laying out the stuff for a nice evening meal. Then it was time for Cien Fuegos. Back then I always had two or three salt shakers, at least one bag of fresh limes, the fancy shot glasses from the gift shops. There was lots of ceremony to the thing. I took my time. The first taste was like electric sugar ? the burn (if there was one) was not pain but some teasing titillation to the tongue and palate. As much as I loved the taste, the sensation, the ceremony meant I took the elixir in small, neat sips and usually by dinner time I really had not put much of a dent in the big bottle.

And so it went. I rarely missed a meal because of my love of the stuff; I will admit to some sloppy midnight dinners but back then that was just part of the deal.

Then came the fateful day in San Felipe that my Cien Fuegos was not on the shelf. I bought some Herradura Blanca and went sadly on my way. The nights were just as misty warm, the sunrises just as breathtaking but something was missing. At each little pueblo or store at a road crossing I would look for my favorite, ask the counterman if they still make it, can he get it, when was the last he saw it, etc.

Over the years my romance with rustic Mexico waned and my love of sportfishing changed the way I visited Baja California. No more camping. Airplanes to where the fish were biting. Sleeping in beds, in air conditioned rooms. Drinks at ?the bar?. When I asked the bartenders about Cien Fuegos their eyes glazed over, they shook their heads and laughed at the funny gringo.

Things change. Now that I?ve moved to Baja Sur I buy Herradura Hornitos at Costco, sip it from any handy cup ? no salt, no lime.

The music stayed. That part of the ceremony will never die ? it goes with the smoky taste, the sound of the surf, the starlight from my hammock on the patio. If I close my eyes I can almost smell the acrid smoke from fires in some far off field.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-16-2005 at 04:40 PM

Quote:

I would load up on the sweet stuff, let the air in the tires down to 19 pounds, bounce and slide my way to the first night?s campsite on the beach. With plenty of ice and gas and provisions I could take my time setting up camp, picking out just the right tunes, laying out the stuff for a nice evening meal. Then it was time for Cien Fuegos.

DAMN GOOD!!!!

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 11-16-2005 at 04:53 PM

Another good one, Seahawk! Keep writing.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2005 at 10:22 AM

I've read every post you've made and this is my personal favorite.

Thank you!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2005 at 10:39 AM

Excellent story. Tequila always tastes better on a beach in Baja.

Thanks for sharing!

Never heard of Cien Fuegos but it sounds great!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2005 at 11:39 AM

I'll keep an eye out for Cien Fuegos for you, Osprey.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 11-17-2005 at 12:01 PM

Wonderful story and insight to a Baja experience that I would want to experience. I too will look for it when I am looking for my favorite, Real Hacienda. It is difficult to find also. You can have more then one favorite right?
Al G

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 11-17-2005 at 12:13 PM

Not much on net search for Cien Fuegos, but this looked like fun. maybe try with tequila
http://www.droogle.ca/drinks/24857/

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-18-2005 at 04:26 AM

why is it called 100 fires?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2005 at 08:02 AM

Mike

Dunno. Could be the lable picture showing a vast stand of agave, lots of fires meant that the company was large and responsible. And/or a Hundred Fires burns a dollar's worth when you drink it. Panchos in San Lucas boasts over 100 tequila brands but they never heard of this one.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.