BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: THEFT is up 56%..... I, know.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2005 at 07:31 PM
THEFT is up 56%..... I, know.

According to our local PD thefts are up over last year by 56%. The Holiday season is Always the high crime time, but an over all increase of this size is unsettling. I think my personal property is safer in Baja than O.C. But, Now is not the time to let your gurad down, here or in Baja.

And to add fodder to the fire......we had a burglary this week and I had to listen to a young ins agent tell me I had to do more paperwork......sheeesh.

We had our Motorhome broken into on Monday 11/14/05. I called Progressive insurance on the following Tuesday. The claims adjuster/inspector said he would inspect the vehicle on Wednesday the 16th. He never showed up on Wednesday, he finally did appear without appointment or notifying me, on Thursday the 17th. Then called my office and left a message at 5 p.m. and said he would be available to receive my phone call until 7:00 p.m. that night. Unfortunately, I was unavailable to return his call that evening. I called him the next day on Friday when he informed me that Progressive would cover the broken glass on the coach but, I had to contact my Homeowners insurance to get the stolen property replaced. Burglars stole a 17" flat screen tv, 40 or more DVD's, the wall mount for the tv, assorted cables, remote control for the Satellite dish and other small items. All of the items add up to less than $2,000.

I am extremely disappointed in Progressive's less than timely handling of this unfortunate theft. On Friday the agent informed us that Progressive would only cover the broken window and I had to file a claim with my homeowners insurance. I am disappointed that I now have to contact "My Homeowners" insurance to cover what I ASSumed I was paying Progressive for. I will investigate other RV insurers and make an evaluation of this practice.

I haven't had a car break in EVER. So I'm pretty uninformed on who pays for what. Is it normal if your car is broken into that the car insurance makes you defer the claim to the Homeowners policy? The motorhome was not parked at my home. It was in the parking lot of my retail business, a fairly secure lot.

Any and all comments are appreciated
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-18-2005 at 07:48 PM
Lo siento

...I feel your pain about the violation and inconvenience.

Opportunistic burglaries are on the rise, especially at this time of year.

I can't comment knowledgebly about U.S. neighborhoods now, but, here, in SoRo (South of Rosarito) we know that November/December brings the prowling opportunistists.

We have been burglarized three times in the years since we built our house, but we have never had a problem since we brought big, noisy dogs into our home.

An alarm company is also a good thing, but a cold wet nose that says, "I love you and will lay my life down to protect you." is another thing on its own.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2005 at 07:52 PM

Bedman-

Sorry to hear about the break-in. I had my share with my old Toyota truck. I never turned them into insurance as the loss was not worth the hassle. But, the hassle sure did pee me off.

From what I understand, some auto policies cover your personal belongings in your car. In your case, you might have had to tell them about the tv and had it included in the coverage. For example, I just bought a shell for my new truck and will have my insurance company include it under our policy.

But, most homeowners policies cover your personal belongings in your car. I don't understand the logic behind this, though.

Good luck-

Zac

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 11-18-2005 at 10:02 PM

Bedman,
If it was attached to the RV it is covered! Challenge them, you may or may not win, but make them prove you are not covered. Content coverage is a separate policy. I am interested as I was considering Progressive. Hard to beat Good Sam though.
Albert
I forgot to tell you the question to ask them.
"So you are saying if my refrigerator or bed is stolen it's not cover either??"

[Edited on 11-19-2005 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2005 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bedman
Burglars stole a 17" flat screen tv, 40 or more DVD's, the wall mount for the tv, assorted cables, remote control for the Satellite dish and other small items. All of the items add up to less than $2,000.

I am disappointed that I now have to contact "My Homeowners" insurance to cover what I ASSumed I was paying Progressive for.

Can I move in? I never thought that living in a "van down by the river" would be so sweet. Of course, I wouldn't even consider it unless you replaced the remote control...I have a bad back. ;D

And could you post an itimized list of all DVD's?

(Got any XXX?)

Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2005 at 12:59 AM
As the plot thickens

Upon arriving at home tonight I opened a letter from the Progressive agent. First I must tell you all that the Agent in question is "in question". I'm beginning to wonder if he is capable of performing his duties.

First he sent the letter to the wrong address,(my neighbor was kind enough to bring it to me) and his handwriting is so horrid I can only make out a few letters, let alone a whole word. Seriously, I nor my wife are capable of deciphering a single word.

Second, included in this scenario now is a SR1 form. The SR1 form is to be completed by anyone involved in a traffic accident where damages exceed $750.00 and goes to the DMV. Does he not know, This wasn't a traffic accident?

I'll do my best to get answers to these perplexing questions.

Bajaboy;
The Flat screen TV was in the coach befor I signed on the dotted line with Progressive and they provided no questionaire re: same or other amenities. I do think that "Personal items" IE clothing, fishing rods, cooking utensils etc. could possibly be construed as Personal Items. I don't understand it either?? And they are not covering the remote for the Satellite box. Would they cover the In Motion Satellite dish if it were stolen?

Jan;
You are absolutely right about the dog. We have Daisy the Wonder Dog. She may not bite them, but they will be SOOoo wet from all the licks they'll never do it again. (Also it's a bit tough on her being locked up a month or two at a time by herself in the motorhome while were not traveling.)

Al G;
I concur with you. If it's attached they should cover it. We'll see what they will do. Some information for you, the max allowable by Progressive for this type of coverage is $2,000. I believe Good Sam offers "Total" coverage of All personal property. But read the fine print befor you sign.

Dave;
Your Welcome anytime, Bring Beer!

I'll post as I get information.

As always,

Bedman
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 10:02 AM

Read your policy and see what it covers. Regardless of others' opinions here, your policy will tell you what it covers and doesn't cover. If you believe a loss should be covered, then provide them with the applicable policy provisions. An insurance company's first response is to attempt to deny coverage. If you have homeowners' insurance that covers other losses, then that is what you bought it for, so be glad you have it even if you must jump through more hoops. Also check to see if you have "secondary" coverage with either one of these, which may cover the deductible from the other.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 11:16 AM
Crime still low in many parts of OC

Three cities from OC make the top 20 as the safest cities in the nation. Irvine, Mission Viejo and Lake Forest.

And, boy, are those exciting places to live........:lol:

This probably excludes theft, though.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 11:29 AM

Lake Forest is mainly comprised of Seizure World residents....Mission Pendejo is mostly Yuppies.:lol:

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cincodemayo
Lake Forest is mainly comprised of Seizure World residents....Mission Pendejo is mostly Yuppies.:lol:

I think that you may be refering to Laguna Woods rather than Lake Forest.

Therianthropic
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 11:47 AM

Mike...not unless they renamed it since I was with the Fire Dept in Laguna Beach...it was always referred as Siezure World....as in Leisure World.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 11:53 AM

El Toro was renamed a few years ago to Lake Forest; part of Laguna Hills was renamed Laguna Woods < the Seizure World area.

Therianthropic
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 11:57 AM

Mike...thanks for the info. Moved up to the Seattle area in 92...sure miss IN-N-OUT. I'd kill for a Double Double and fries.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 04:11 PM
Watch out

Bedman, if you're going to make a claim on your homeowners' insurance, you should first try (anonymously) to find out how much they'll jack up your premiums for making a claim. We had a break in in our house in the States -- while we were down in Baja, how's that for irony -- and my agent found out that my carrier would raise the homeowner's premium by 25 to 35% if we made a claim. Just wasn't worth it. Obviously, they think homeowners' coverage is really intended for catastrophic loss and liability (although I can't remember reading that anywhere when I signed up). Bastards.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 06:54 PM

Thanks all for the recomendations.

I talked with my homeowneres agent today, a personal friend. He asked me to send him a copy of the policy. Now I like that kind of attitude. Pitting my guy against there guy.

By the way, I do pay Progressive a fee to Specifically cover my "Personell Property" up to $2000. I guess ALL Insurance companies lie to there clients?? <--- Just a peey comment on my part, but I'm in a peey Mood.

My homeowners agent said that my homeownneres would go up....about 10% to 15%, because I would lose my status of "no claims in 15 years".
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 08:31 PM
Get used to having to call your insurance company out!

Especially health or dental insurance. The bastards must know the % of people who will roll over and play dead when they refuse to honor their agreements.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2005 at 07:26 AM

with all this crime ,san francisco makes it illeagal to own and posses a hand gun. now i will join national rifle as. and i should have done it a long time ago. i insure with SMITH AND WESSON, RUGER AND REMINGTON and youd better ring the door bell before entering my house. sorry to hear about your breakin steve but now you have to deal with the other thieves, there called the insurance companys. will see you in dec.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-22-2005 at 10:47 AM
Lake Forest ??

The one time I had occasion to be in Lake Forest, there appeared to be a lot of younger "yuppie" types. In fact, the reason I was there was to purchase my first Samurai from a computer Engineer who lived there.

The thing I remember most about Lake Forest was taking a test drive of the Zuki and driving past all of these business parks that were completely vacant. I was told that they were all part of the Dot Com Boom and Bust.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 05:52 PM

A short update:

It's 12/01 and Progressive still hasn't repaired the window or cut me a check. It's supposed to rain tonight. I asked my Progressive agent "What if the interior is damaged by the rain?" He informed me it is MY responsibility to protect the coach from any further damage. If someone breaks in through the already broken window or if there is damage caused by rain coming in from the broken window, it is my fault and I will have to pay to have the damages repaired, not Progressive.

I still can't believe the lack of concern or lack of expediency on there part. 17 days and counting.

Bedman
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 06:00 PM

i have a friend who has had similarly poor service with progressive. i'll never use 'em.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.