Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Skype vs CrystalVoice
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 11-19-2005 at 06:10 PM

Most folks will not have both.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Skype is free to join, CrystalVoice costs.

Skype deposit is lost if not renewed, CrysalVoice just carries on.

Both cost about the same to use. A little less than 3 cents per minute except to anothe user of the same system on a computer, then its free.
However, a skype user cannot connect with a crystalvoice user pc to pc. PC to hard line is fine.

I personally use Crystalvoice, have done so for several years. Am very happy with the latency lag (you cannot escape that if using Satellite internet). If using a hardline here in Mexico, like Prodigy.net.mx there is no apparent lag.

I am sure that the users of Skype will help with their words and experience on that system.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-20-2005 at 11:21 AM
Comparisons on DirecWay

I've been using Crystal Voice since January on DirecWay with mixed results. Setting aside the propagation delay inherent in a Satellite feed, I've had a lot of calls where the quality varied during the call and some breakups. Not having an alternate for comparison, I couldn't say whether the quality problems were attributable to Crystal Voice or DirecWay.

Three days ago, I loaded Skype on the same computer and have been using it for numerous calls. The same problems seem to be resident within Skype that I encountered with Crystal Voice. Some of the quality degrading is no doubt involved with the numerous gateways that the call must go through. I say this because the setup allows you to make a test call to their server and then listen to it afterwards. THAT call voice quality was perfect, however, in real life calling I encountered background hum, static, etc. However, once both parties adapt to the shortcomings, a satisfactory conversation can occur.

There is little doubt that the erratic uploading on DirecWay contributes to this. That uploading usually varies between 19K and 38K. If it were to remain at the higher level, it would probably work fine since I've tried Crystal Voice on a dialup in the region of 38K and the quality problems were not apparent.

The bottom line for Satellite use is that BOTH are fairly equal. You can utilize them for acceptable, if not great, conversations.

If you're on DSL, it's a whole different game and you'll probably be happy with either. The per minute charge is about the same (2 cents per minute), but Crystal Voice has a yearly fee and Skype does not.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2005 at 11:31 AM

Thanks for comparing them - I've used Skype for a year or so and been relatively happy with it - so now don't have to wonder if CrystalVoice is better.

Oh, and I've had money credit with Skype for over a year and they do not confiscate it at any time.

[Edited on 11-20-2005 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 11-20-2005 at 11:42 AM

I've been using Skype with a land line. The quality of the calls are the same as with a regular phone. I've never had my credits confiscated, but then my wife is on the phone all the time and uses them up quite regularly. The cost is about a penny and a half a minute. Of course skype to skype is free.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
niknas

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 11-20-2005 at 12:23 PM

The money credit only goes away if you don't use Skype at all for six months. I have been using Skype calling out of Los Barrilies and the sound quality is very good. Skype to Skype is free and works.

Nik :cool:
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2005 at 02:26 PM

I have CrystalVoice on a land line. Little or no lag and good, dependable service. Last year my daughter was in England and my son in France. I could get them both on a 3-way and we could talk Mexico/France/England for 5.8 cents per minute.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-20-2005 at 03:39 PM

There should be no problem using SkypeOut to call MX. I do it all the time. User error somewhere.

Skype is good stuff.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2005 at 03:49 PM

I have called Mex (San Felipe) with Skype from US a few times - it's not the 2 cents a min but got thru OK.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-20-2005 at 08:23 PM

Your the very first person I've ever seen bash Skype. Most think it is awesome. It was user error.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-20-2005 at 08:41 PM

JZ

My turn, wouldn't it be better to say you might not have had it configuired corrrectly. But then again since he runs an ISP he should know how to configure.:bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 11-21-2005 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 04:18 PM

Anyone try the new netzero service, I am getting good reports for service over sat. $14.99 unlimited calls and the 1st 3 months free.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 05:08 PM
You get what you Pay For.

If you've got DSL or even a Good Dialup ISP, Skype and Crystal Voice both are probably fine. On DirecWay, they're worth the two cents per minute. Period. I'm running both since I had to buy 10 Euros worth of credit to try out Skype and they both seem to be about the same as far as quality and delay.

Since I'm not addicted to talking on the Telephone, I check my voicemails via Satellite and use my Telcel Cellular when I want a clear, dependable connection. Putting 100 pesos every sixty days on my Telcel account, I've accumulated a residual of 550 pesos. Telephone calls are not a big expense for me.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2005 at 11:15 AM
Update - Crystal Voice 1 Skype 0

I just attempted to use Skype to access my voicemails using the Tone keypad. No luck after 4 tries. Tones sounded OK on my end, but not recognized properly by distant end. Tried the same with Crystal Voice. No problem. Worked fine.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.