[*] posted on 11-23-2005 at 07:34 PM
Baja Expedition Topo Map Review

Map Available ($89) From: http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/baja_gps_map.htm
or
http://www.lbmaps.com/baja_exp_.htm

Screen shots of larger cities:
http://www.lbmaps.com/exp_screshots.htm

Now that I have been to Baja a few days with the map installed on a Garmin 176C here is the final review:

Pros:
1. It is probably the best Baja map you can get to load into your Garmin GPS.
2. Its detail is somewhere between the AAA map and the Baja Almanac map.
A. It has topo lines and when you put the cursor on any unidentified elevation line, it shows the elevation of that line.
B. A large number of Rancho?s are named.
C. A large number of Peaks are named.
D. A large number of Arroyo?s are named.
E. Many dirt two track roads are shown (cursor ID?s them as Trail).
F. It has ?Snap to Highway? when enabled by your GPS (when 500 feet or so from a major highway, the moving map ?car? jumps to the road.). It does not snap to dirt roads (good).
G. Hwy. One is in the right place in the Catavina area ? but the old road is not shown.
H. Large City streets are great.

Cons:
1. It is a work in progress, it has several amateurish flaws.
A. Several towns were left out; San Felipe is a blank spot with the roads not connected, Catavina is missing (Rancho Inez and airport are there); El Marmol is missing, etc.
B. Several fairly major roads are missing, the road to BOLA stops short a few miles of getting there, the road to El Marmol is missing, the normal road to Desengano (Mile 7 off the BOLA road) is not shown, the one a few miles east is etc.
C. When you drive on the BOLA road, your ?bread crumb trail? erases the nice heavy red line of the pavement and leaves the fainter dotted line. Minor annoyance.
D. The normal road to Desengano (Mile 7 off the BOLA road) is not shown. The one a few miles east is shown.

Summary:
Recommended. I?m glad I bought it. When you travel over a road that is not on the map, you will leave a track that will ?stick? to the Garmin map managing program MapSource, so one day I will have the perfect map. Ha!

If a town is not on the map, create a Waypoint and name it ?Catavina? or whatever and it is labeled forevermore.

Other Alternatives:
Use a laptop or PDA with a GPS connected with scanned Baja Almanac (or whatever) maps in combination with OziExplorer mapping software.
http://www.oziexplorer.com

Sample of travels around El Marmol area with tracks:

[Edited on 11-24-2005 by Neal Johns]

[Edited on 11-24-2005 by Neal Johns]

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 11-23-2005 at 08:16 PM
Thanks for the update...very interesting!

...looks like it has possibilities...

BTW, shouldn't you be out in the bodega 'stuffing the turkey'....on this Turkey-Day, eve?....;D

Hope you and all the other 'Nomads' have a happy Thanksgiving Holiday!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
Hope you and all the other 'Nomads' have a happy Thanksgiving Holiday!

Audrey and I are lifting our glass to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and Pat. And, maybe a cigar too! Hah. :spingrin:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns

Map Available ($89) From: http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/baja_gps_map.htmBaja
or
http://www.lbmaps.com/baja_exp_.htm

Screen shots of larger cities:
http://www.lbmaps.com/exp_screshots.htm

I bought the other version of their baja map, LBMaps.com Baja V1.1 about a year ago. It was around $30 if I remember correctly. It is ok but does not have the detail you show. Below is a zoom of San Felipe. Looks like I might wait for version 2 of the topo. Thanks for the info.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

thumbup.gif posted on 11-24-2005 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns

Cons:
1. It is a work in progress, it has several amateurish flaws.
A. Several towns were left out; San Felipe is a blank spot with the roads not connected, Catavina is missing (Rancho Inez and airport are there); El Marmol is missing, etc.
B. Several fairly major roads are missing, the road to BOLA stops short a few miles of getting there, the road to El Marmol is missing, the normal road to Desengano (Mile 7 off the BOLA road) is not shown, the one a few miles east is etc.
C. When you drive on the BOLA road, your ?bread crumb trail? erases the nice heavy red line of the pavement and leaves the fainter dotted line. Minor annoyance.
D. The normal road to Desengano (Mile 7 off the BOLA road) is not shown. The one a few miles east is shown.

Thanks for the great review Neal.
I would suggest you email your "negative" findings to the company, so they can work in updating in their next version. You can't improve something you don't know is broken.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 08:41 AM

Does it have an automatic "notify of error" function to let the company know where the problems are, like S&T?

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 08:55 AM

T&T, I don't think so....:lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 09:07 AM
This is super---thanks, Neal----

On your sample map--------is the waypoint on the far right side of the map labelled "broke" what I think it is???-----the actual location of the famous Toyota "breakdown"?:lol:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 09:49 AM

You're a bunch of ???????

Bound and determined to make me buy another GPSr aren't you. You know my faithful old 12XL won't show all this stuff so you just have to keep tempting me Grrrrrrr

Oh well, Ebay here I come.

:mad:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 11:34 AM

Barry A.
That is indeed where the front suspension ball joint seperated!

BajaLou,
Wait a few months until Garmin refreshes their line with the new SirfStar III chip. It is a real wonder. I have a Holux Bluetooth GPS with it and get seven satellites in the living room of a two story house, and works great in canyons. Garmin announced a couple of months ago they were now in bed with Sirf and some of their new models have it inside.

I will be going to CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in Las Vegas in January and will smoose with the Garmin reps and see what is coming up. (I have a fake company - Crabill-Johns, Inc. named after my old girl friend, that gets me in. Don't tell Marian):lol:

That said, I have a severe case of GPS Envy after seeing buddy Jay's (TacoFeliz) Lowrence Baja 5" color screen in his Tundra. Size counts. It's so bright my eyes still hurt!:lol:
But it won't take the Baja Topo map (for Garmin only). Hee Hee Hee

My motto:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 11:45 AM

I'm waiting for you reports Neal - thanks

:?:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

willieb

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 11:58 AM

Don't know if this helps, but a freind of mine wrote a book on making your own gps maps.

Some free sites and maps in the book for down loading.

I just got the book and have not had a chance to look at it yet.

Sorry if I spoke with out looking into it better.

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

Dan

P.S If the book is of interest to anyone I will be on my way down in jan to L.B
could bring them down for someone
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 01:47 PM

Yeah, Willib, I have watched the Garmin Map crack teams at work for years and confess that it is completely beyond my capabilities to use their tools to make maps for the Garmin.:(

If anyone wants to try, the links to the tools are in the Bicimapas web site.

My motto:
willieb

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 12:15 PM

Hi Neal, I well understand, it sounds over my head too. Got the book just because he is my freind. But I thought I would share some of the free resources.

www.jdcox.com

www.gpsinformation.net/waas/maps/usaphoto.html

www.digitalgrove.net/USAPhotoMaps_Instructions.htm

www.kimdara.com/usaphotomaps/index.html

For free maps online

www.gpsy.com/maps

For vector data

data.geocomm.com

There are more if anybody wants them

best regards
Dan
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 05:44 PM

Hey Lou, get you checkbook out:

Noticed that Bass Pro Shop is listing Garmin 60 & 76 C(S)x models that are similar to the corresponding current ones but with the Sirf III GPS chip and a TransFlash memory card.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=736...

[Edited on 11-27-2005 by wornout]

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 08:37 PM

Those are looking good Wornout, and not quite as pricey as I expected - now just get someone to buy the 1600 Single Port long block I've got in the garage and I'll get my order in.

By the way, jdmcox is the producer of USAPhotoMaps - a great program for downloading TerraServer data - which is only of the USA. Sure wish they had Mexico.

:o

No Bad Days

LarryB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2005 at 09:25 PM

Neal
If you can send me some of them tracks you are laying I can work them into the next version.

By far the hardest part of producing Baja GPS maps is finding data. In the US we have so much information we are tripping over it. The government agencies give it away for free.

Mexico is a bit different. The Mexican government wants a large amount of money for what little data there is, especially Baja data. The topo data used to make the "Expeditioner" was gathered by US satellites and given to the Mexican government, who will not, without royalties, allow anyone to use it. That is the biggest reason for the high price relative for what one can buy in US maps. The other big reason is the relatively low demand for Baja GPS maps. But the demand is growing.

Anyway, it's nice to see a real world review.
Thank,
Larry
www.LBMaps.com

[Edited on 11-28-2005 by LarryB]
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2005 at 09:41 PM

I just emailed lbmaps to ask about Magellan and then saw your post LarryB. Any chance you'll have some software soon that will work with magellan's MapSend software? I have a Magellan Explorist 600. Thanks!
LarryB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2005 at 09:50 PM

As of now there is nothing available. Magellen had requested a while back that we stop using their proprietary file structure. So we stopped developing maps for their GPS units. However, lately there are a few new things developing with them that I should know more about soon. Watch our websites.

Larry
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 11-28-2005 at 12:00 AM
LarryB...Question for you...

I've got a couple of Garmin GPS handheld units, but just recently bought the new 'Garmin GPS 18 USB' set that provides a US Mapsource Data CD, along with with a Garmin GPS 'puck' antenna for use with a Laptop PC...

Threw it on my old Compaq Laptop, stuck the 'puck' to the inside of my windshield and started navigating around my Northern California neighborhood...works great right out of the box, and the positions shown on their Mapsource maps seems to be right on target! Lots of good features for routing, finding places in urban areas, has audio alerts on established tracks, etc, etc...and my 15 inch laptop screen is a lot easier to read than any smaller unit.

Now the big question....can I install your Baja files (software) on my laptop and navigate around below the border with my new Garmin 'puck' showing the way?

I like what Neal has shown above...Thanks.

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.