Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FM Transmitters ??
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 10:48 AM
FM Transmitters ??

Anyone have any knowledge of a good (and reasonably priced) FM transmitter (assembled or kit) in the 3 to 5 watt power range ?

I'm looking for one to plug my XM output into so I can listen to it on any FM radio within a mile or so range.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 11:37 AM

Bill

I think they are called modulators, when I was last in costco San Diego they had them for $28.00 don't know the wattage.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 11:43 AM

They don't work well in Southern California

too many stations

but fine in Mexico

Ebay....$13
http://cgi.ebay.com/Delphi-Skyfi-Wireless-FM-Modulator-SA100...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 05:50 PM

RF Modulators from XM radio work well in the car, especially with the antenna removed to eliminate local station interference. But, these will radiate a signal only 20 feet or so. Ramsey Electronics carries much more powerful FM transmitters. See http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/hk/default.asp?page=amfm

I hope you enjoy the same channels on XM that I do so I can tune in! My dockmate in Marina de La Paz tunes into my XM RF modulator with his regular FM radio.
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 05:58 PM

I have the iRock 300w and I see in the link below they have a newer model. If it is for XM, now matter which you buy, get the one with the 12v power option. I have had iRock's for 3 years now, the first was only 2 AAA batteries and only lasted to 20 some hours. Now I have the 12v iRock and love it. Mine broadcasts about 300' if outdoors (as in working in the garden and carrying a portable radio). Got my last one at Radio Shack for somewhere around $30. My first one quit working (the battery kind) on one side and iRock sent me a replacement, after the warranty had expired, for free. This was all done via email and the internet.

http://www.myirock.com/players/irock400fm.asp

One other thing: On our last trip from San Felipe to Cabo, there were three vehicles in all. I was in the middle with one in front and one behind. In the morning I put on the news and both cars received the signal while we drove down the highway.

[Edited on 11-27-2005 by wornout]

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2005 at 10:41 AM
300 WATT ?

What you're talking about is 300mW (3/10 Watt). With 300 Watts you'd have the capability to transmit as far as FM could be received in addition to wiping out your neighbor's electronics. I have a couple of the Wireless Transmitters of the 300mW type and they do increase the range over the built-in unit in the XM Roady 2, but the range is only a few hundred feet barring restrictions.

After I posted this thread, I started searching the Web seriously and have found a number of kit producers here and in Canada. All of the kits 1W and above are noted as illegal without a permit in the U.S. (which I knew) and require a signed disclaimer from the purchaser. So far, the best deal I've come up with is a 1W kit for $49.95 and a 4W kit for $59.95. One watt will probably be enough, but the 4W is probably enough to listen to in San Felipe if I use an omni-directional antenna. I had been hoping to find a "kit" where the PCB components were all mounted, but it looks like I'll have to get out the soldering iron.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-27-2005 at 05:32 PM

you "electrons" drive me nuts....all i know about electricity is it's invisible and it hurts! musta been or will be an electrician/sparky in another life.

but it all sounds great!:lol:

wornout
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2005 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM

As Johnny Carson would say to Ed in this situation, 'What are you talking about ole over Watts?'

I never mentioned 300 Watts, I said I had a 300W, that is their 'Model Number' not the watts.

BTW, I looked at that Ramsey site and they have an FM antenna for $69 but there is a lot of do it yourself soldering involved.

Good luck either way and when you get it done, let me know and I will turn on the radio on our trips to the desert that go south of town.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2005 at 11:09 AM
Speaking of Antennas

Years ago, I had a neighbor who installed a substantial (probably 30 feet high) Ground-Plane antenna for a Base-Station CB. Because it was so obvious, frequently the Army on their patrols through camp would stop and question him regarding the antenna.

Not wishing to draw too much attention to my antenna will be one of my considerations (beyond price) in making an antenna choice. There are some very good deals on antennas that, unfortunately, are clearly Transmitting Antennas. Others are less distinguishable from CB, Marine, etc.
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 11-28-2005 at 06:14 PM
do they make a mobile FM transmitter set up?

that way we can have a moving FM station so that I can broadcast music (and thebajarunner's opera) to the others in our Baja caravan

not only will they be able to hear me on the CB, but also the music :cool:

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2005 at 11:06 AM
Mobile+Antennas

Thus far I have not come across any commercially produced Mobile Antennas for use in the FM VHF radio band (88-108MHz) which is not surprising since there would not be any significant "legal" purpose for one. There are, however, a number of stationary omni-directional antenna designs which could be mounted on a vehicle and are about 4-5 feet overall. I don't know whether high-speed movement would effect the antenna's efficiency.

The nearest "Mobile" antennas available that I found are those for FM VHF Marine band (156-174MHz), but these are tuned for a range of 140-180MHz. It is probable that the tuning difference would result in too high a reflected signal and result in poor transmission efficiency or, worse, damage to the transmitter.

On the small FM transmitters legally available i.e. Belkin, the cable used to connect it to the Radio line out source is used as an antenna, but their range is fairly short distance.

If you had a low-power FM Transmitter which had an Antenna out Jack, you could try connecting an FM radio receiving antenna and see how efficient it might be. I haven't tried that, but the investment for the transmitter and antenna would only be around $25 so there's not much lost if it dies.
wornout
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2005 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaVida
that way we can have a moving FM station so that I can broadcast music (and thebajarunner's opera) to the others in our Baja caravan

not only will they be able to hear me on the CB, but also the music :cool:

YES, read the like above dated: posted on 11-26-2005 at 04:58 PM (The part about my trip to Baja that starts out, 'One other thing', that trip was in a Vehicle).

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.