Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Cactus Hotel
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 04:19 PM
Baja Cactus Hotel

I have stayed there for years. With my daughter, ex-wife, girlfriend, and most recently I have learned to stop when we get tired rather than pushing for home when coming from Loreto or Mulege in the morning.

Flaco and I pulled in to find Antonio on the premises (spectacular!) and we got a room for the night. (You are beat after that drive!) We spent the previous night on one of my favorite beaches in Baja which is what we are set up for and prefer to do. Full moon, fresh fish ceviche, plenty to drink, perfection.

The new rooms in Baja Cactus are incredible. This was so much of a treat that I will be making this a regular habit. The most comfortable beds, hot water and pressure, (very unusual to have both of these luxuries!)in many areas, and food, shopping and stuff nearby.

It came to mind that I could actually see this as a weekend destination rather than a place to stay on the way to somewhere else.

My sombrero is off to Antonio and his plan. What an excellent job he has done!:bounce:
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 04:24 PM
it is a great location---but what about road noise?

I can only imagine the sound of frenos de Jake as the diesels come down the hill

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 04:32 PM
I think this was planned for.

Although the room we were in was in the back in the center.
The thing about the El Rosario Grade is that most drivers have learned to go real slow because of the turns towards the bottom being sharp. I think they may be picking up speed to get into town rather than braking at this point.
I didn't notice any and know what it's like at Bahia Concepcion! That's a good sign.
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 11-27-2005 at 11:34 AM

Great motel......I stay there every trip north.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 11-27-2005 at 06:15 PM

Stayed there in july Jr. First time I stayed there since the remodeling. I can't praise the place enough. I agree with everything you said, especially for the price. Less than half you would pay at the Serinidad and just as nice, if not nicer.

[Edited on 11-28-2005 by bajaden]

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-27-2005 at 08:08 PM

BajaVida,

I can attest to the fact that you most certainly can hear the "frenos de Jake" as you put it. Makes for an interesting morning wake up call. But then, all the other amenities make this such a nice place to stay that a few errant noises are well worth it. Besides, if you're tired enough, you'll just sleep right through it.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 11-27-2005 at 08:21 PM
probably better than frenos de jake and night crowing gallos

at El Palomar when we have camped among the olive trees

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2005 at 09:08 PM

Hi gang,

Just back and we stayed the last two nights at Baja Cactus... because we make El Rosario our destination now (for several of our Baja trips).

The rooms and Antonio have already received my praises in past posts... photos of the rooms are posted here on Nomad (from an August trip I think)...

There are jake brakes being used, but if you ask for one of the lower back rooms they are muffled (103-108+).

We stayed in 202 (above office, right side) the last two nights and the jake brakes didn't annoy us as the beds are just soooo comfortable. The giant TV's have a sleep button on the remote, so you can sleep to that 'white noise', if the jakes keep you awake.

Last weekend Antonio installed the satellite dish so the motel will soon have high speed Internet in all the new rooms as well as area wireless hign speed and PCs in the lobby for those without laptops!

El Rosario: Good location, Good food, Good accomodations (at Baja Cactus)!!!

We had some Nomad visitors as well: The Squarecircle and Ken Cooke (Baja Ken)... Plus a group riding Honda XRs who found the Bill Nichole's cross Baja trail from near Puertecitos and reached Mex. 1 near San Agustin. They read Baja Nomad and asked for some 'got baja?' stickers!

Anyway, stay tuned for my trip report (it's a doozie)... I just saw this thread by JR about Baja Cactus and wanted to say 'right on'!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 11-28-2005 at 01:33 AM
Thank you....

Thank you so much for all your nice words guys... they do encourage us to keep pushing into making more improvements...

We designed the motel thinking on all the noises in the surrounding areas... the complete project includes a convenience store on the front, alongside the highway, therefore shielding the rooms on the back from noise...

However the convenience store is not done yet (it is our next construction stage)... in the meantime the solid concrete walls and sligtlhy irregular plaster helps the outside noise to bounce a bit (it was also designed this way on purpose).

Regarding the internet signal and hotspot gateway, it will be up and ready in ten days or less...I am installing everything myself...so I hope it works...jejeje

Enjoy Baja my friends.... and thanks again...!!!

Antonio M.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2005 at 08:03 AM

Do you sell ear plugs in the store? :light:

We never leave home without them. :smug:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2005 at 05:25 PM
Thanks JR

Great info. I'll add this to my must do for this winter:cool:
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2005 at 05:28 PM

JR...you stayed there with ex wife and girlfriend? That must have been a night to remember. Hope the tekillya was flowing freely!

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.