Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hurricane Trip Day Three
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 03:44 PM
Hurricane Trip Day Three

Day Three,
Woke up to heat priot to sun being up so decided to get on the road early. Almost make it back to Tripui before van says overheating. Less than a mile. Now what ? I let it cool down a little, pour in very little water to fill it up and everythings fine. I assume stuck thermostat but it?s now working so off we go. Arrive in Ciudad Constitucion in time to see the finish of an international bicycle race. Pretty exciting too. But too fast for pictures by me so darn. It also caused the streets to be closed off so I didn?t buy groceries prior to heading into the mountains. I have lot?s of canned goods and trail foods so what the heck, I won?t starve. I could find an easy access Mini Mart that carried the important stuff besides ice so being well stocked on the necessities, San Luis Gonzaga, here we come.
Remembering a lot of the road made the trip go by really quickly with one stop at La Presa Iguahil for pictures. Didn?t notice the smear on the lens so they look kinda foggy even though it wasn?t. What there was was a lot of water. And families playing in the rapids at the base of the dam. Great way to cool off. And really green everywhere.
So, I pass by a couple ranches that I didn?t recognize before deciding to ask directions and find out I missed the turn a couple Km?s back. And upon seeing how it had grown over, I didn?t feel so stupid. Much of that road runs along a river, usually underground but not right now. The entrance to the Mission road was more grown over than the roads to the ranches and I had missed the turn . Not a lot of vehicles going to the Mission I guess.
I arrive to find Jose tending the store with a kid, a cat and some goats. Really good to see him again and there?s lot?s of smiles and laughing. Filled him in on the trip down, what I was doing with all this stuff, and where?s everybody at ? School in Ciudad Constitucion during the week and home on the weekends. Sorry that Pancho wasn?t there but maybe later.
Unload the contents of the interior of the van so I have access to camp things and head to my cool campsite. Much better than a sickass Zoo if your into wildlife. I pull into my spot and begin to understand why things here basically haven?t changed in 200 years or so. The project when I left, was to build some fences to keep Joe Livestock, (goats, sheep, pigs, burros, donkeys, horses, cows, and an occasional deer) from roaming through the campsites, which they do regularly. And I bet they have been doing it for nigh on 200 years now! Because they just don?t care. It is a wise idea to not pitch a tent right on one of the paths. Anyway, back to ?progress?. There were five guys working on the ?Fences? when I pulled out of camp in February. They were serious about it and had about 20 posts to keep them going. What they had achieved since Feb., was a 5 or 6 foot fence blocking off one side of the pool access and about the same on the other side with an opening in the middle of about 6?. But they had about 10 new posts in a stack too. At this pace, I think maybe those cave paintings are a LOT older than we think if the artists work anywhere near the same pace as the carpenters!.
But, I loved it the first time I stayed here and I love it again. The (Gate?) even added a new perspective to the pond. This also happens to be one of Andi and Bigs favorite spots and they are in the water all the time. Also in the water are ducks, geese, cranes, fish, pigs and turtles. Big ones too! The pictures I have are young teenage turtles and I was told they grow to twice that size.
Anyway, set up camp, swam and siestad, ate some lunch and decided to go back to the Mission.
To be continued;

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 03:58 PM

It sounds soo nice so far and I second the sentiment of the zoo comment.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 04:01 PM
hey Ski, good reading

keep it coming.

I may be in mulege nov. 1st weekend and will take a bunch of bug stuff!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 04:07 PM
Nice Read

getting anxious soon we will be there.
bringing a dozen cans of deet and a bunch of other stuff....it will go to good use....

leaving Saturda, see you in November
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 04:20 PM
The photos

I haven't been able to attach photos in the message so here's some anyway. I don't know how they keep slipping through in the large version but I am sure it has to do with being me.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 04:22 PM
Photos

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 04:23 PM
Photos

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 04:25 PM
Photos

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 04:26 PM
And finally

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 05:29 PM
WOW

that says it all......thanks.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.