Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Corrupt Police in Tijuana
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

thumbdown.gif posted on 11-29-2005 at 10:18 PM
Corrupt Police in Tijuana

I was stopped near the border in pristine Tijuana, Mexico for CUTTING OFF ANOTHER CAR. A concerned motorcycle police officer cited me after reviewing my DL and Auto Registration.

I told the police officer that I knew I could mail the ticket back to Mexico with the fine ($30) and surprise! He told me I could not do this!

So, I gave him the $30 knowing full well that this money was going to line his pockets. Suzanne saw me cut off the car that nearly hit my Jeep, but the car was accellerating so fast that it was his fault for driving so recklessly. Regardless, I got home w/o any further incident, and am crying over spilled milk. Any suggestions for ways of dealing with corrupt cops in the future?

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2005 at 10:40 PM
police in tj

What I do Ken is .,"You ither give me the ticket or take me to the police station" wich they don't want because that way they can get any money for themselves and they don't want to waste time taking you to the station so I get a ticket to mail or to go to the station next time and pay it myself. I hope that little incident doesn't leave you with a bad memory of mexico, they stop me to and Im mexican they are afther the money thats all...:fire:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2005 at 10:50 PM

I was pressed for time as it was Sunday evening and we had some friends in a Jeep following behind us. I had to get up for work the next day at 5 a.m., and there was absolutely no way I could go to the Police Station with spending 1 extra day in Mexico (wife's idea) over the Turkey week vacation.

Trust me, I have plenty of great memories of Tijuana, and with my Nortec Collective Vol.3 CD playing on the stereo, I still made the best of it, and realized what the experience is like for the Mexican people who have to deal with their own police force day in and day out.

Nortec Collective - Tijuana Sessions Vol. 3

Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 12:56 AM

Look at it this way Ken. You now have a TJ cop story to tell. You'll be able to embellish it with subtle nuances to add a little "Excitement" to the tale. Like, "He had this really BIG gun." You'll get way more than $30 bucks out of the potential possibilities.:biggrin:

Bedman
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bedman
Look at it this way Ken. You now have a TJ cop story to tell. You'll be able to embellish it with subtle nuances to add a little "Excitement" to the tale. Like, "He had this really BIG gun." You'll get way more than $30 bucks out of the potential possibilities.:biggrin:

Bedman

I can say the cop is the same guy on the album cover and that he is a musican on the side. :lol:

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 07:47 AM

Corrupt Police in Tijuana how can that be?:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

I told the police officer that I knew I could mail the ticket back to Mexico with the fine ($30) and surprise! He told me I could not do this!

Sorry to hear about your encounter with that cop, but Yes, you can pay the ticket in the US
http://www.tijuana.gob.mx/turismo/TouristGuide/English/pag6....
read the bottom part. As a recomendation why dont all you guys carry a copy of this with you. Yes there are p-nche policias corruptos in Tijuana, but not all of them, same as anywere else. Don't give in because that is the root of the p-inche problema. Once again sorry, and I will post later the toll free number were you can place a formal complaint. I hope you took his name or number, if not, he did make an easy $30.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 08:52 AM

Gracias Ferna!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 09:10 AM
Chances are very good

that we will be seeing more of this in the next few weeks before Christmas. It's against the law for them to accept your money unless it's at the station.
When you give them your license and they want you to follow them there, 9 times out of 10 they will get another call and give your license back.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
I was stopped near the border in pristine Tijuana, Mexico for CUTTING OFF ANOTHER CAR. A concerned motorcycle police officer cited me after reviewing my DL and Auto Registration.

So, I gave him the $30 knowing full well that this money was going to line his pockets. Suzanne saw me cut off the car that nearly hit my Jeep, but the car was accellerating so fast that it was his fault for driving so recklessly. Regardless, I got home w/o any further incident, and am crying over spilled milk. Any suggestions for ways of dealing with corrupt cops in the future?

1.-Don't bribe them

2.-Tell them you have sindicaturas phone number and yes you can pay by mail.

3.- If he refuses, tell him you want to go to the police station so you can call sindicatura.
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 10:54 AM

The link is on Tijuana .Does this pay by mail apply to the rest of Baja ?
Mexacalli ? San Felipe ?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 10:53 AM
I'm Shocked !

Shocked to find out that Bribery and Corruption is going on in a place like Tijuana. Things just aren't the way they used to be
(and never were).

Seriously, forget all of the advice and do whatever you think works best. Just ignore all of this Sanctimonious advice from people on the PROPER way to handle this and do whatever is comfortable to you. Pay the Mordida or not, go to the police station or not. Whatever is reasonable and the most expedient. Nobody cares, including God.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Shocked to find out that Bribery and Corruption is going on in a place like Tijuana. Things just aren't the way they used to be
(and never were).

Seriously, forget all of the advice and do whatever you think works best. Just ignore all of this Sanctimonious advice from people on the PROPER way to handle this and do whatever is comfortable to you. Pay the Mordida or not, go to the police station or not. Whatever is reasonable and the most expedient. Nobody cares, including God.

So your advice, Mr. Rains, is to ignore advice of those who have been there before? :rolleyes:
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 02:25 PM

Mr Bill is a Silly putty character.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bedman

Bedman

That's funny and true. About three months ago we had a cop shake us down pretty hard in TJ. He had us up against the wall with our hands and legs out. The whole nine yards. I was pretty nervous. I had a finger nail file in my pocket I just bought to cut a lime. I was paranoid he was going to say it was a weapon!

It was Sunday afternoon and we were drinking a beer on the stoop of a little market. Just sitting there. It was a pretty stupid thing to do, but I'm so use to being in the small towns where they don't care.

Of course the embellished version will be that he had his gun drawn, and didn't find the 10" knife I had swapped to my ankle!
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 05:44 PM
i completely agree with Mr.Bill...

use common sense in these situations and do whatever is necessary...anybody who thinks they are going to change the world by playing good cop/bad cop is a little naive...these type of things have been going on forever and most likely they always will

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eetdrt88
use common sense in these situations and do whatever is necessary...

Personally, I belive the system should change to the Mordida in this country. Here's why:

* Gun drawn in my face w/cop threatening to pull trigger.
* Cop asking my wife if I was a suspect who robbed her.
* Cop asking me, "Are you having a bad day?" as he gets in my face wanting me to go hand-to-hand w/him.

If the 3 above police had just asked me for $30 each, I would have been much happier. But, that is how it goes for minorities in the US of A.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lenchoMinority? Hmmm, if you're in Riverside, that must make you an Anglo. ;>

--Larry

Me and my old pickup truck I sold 2 yrs. ago...

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-2-2005 at 10:25 AM
That reminds Me........................

About ten years back, I walked into Pepito's Fish Market in San Felipe and standing there at the counter was a very close friend of mine (Black) from the U.S. There were a number of Mexicans standing around. When I walked in, I said "Damn, it's getting so they'll let just anybody come into town". Things got really tense. The Mexicans expecting all Heck to break loose, until Charlie (my friend) laughed and grabbed me.

There was a time when Distrust and Discrimination towards Blacks was very prevalent in Mexico and I'm sure it's still to be found, but thankfully things have improved.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-2-2005 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
I was pressed for time...
To me, that's key here... that you ended up paying out to save time.

As grover noted, patiently outwaiting them is a successful tactic. So, it becomes an issue of who has more time to kill, you - or the officer(s). And that may be the way to view it when it happens - and help with the decision on how you want to handle it, since all of us have different thoughts and priorities about it.

btw... Jesse's notes are to the point, and may save you some time - only if you can remember what was suggested.

--
Doug

[Edited on 12-2-2005 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.