BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cycling in Southern Baja
Rana Sylvatica

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 09:30 AM
Cycling in Southern Baja

Does any one have or know where I can get any information about road cycle touring in Baja? I am at the beginning stage of planning a trip, probably to the Sea of Cortez area. I mainly want to know how steep the roads are, where are the least hilly areas, and whether I should bring a mountain or a road bike.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 01:30 PM
Biking Baja

Very very dangerous on Mex. 1 to ride bikes. But, there are some really good rides on some of the dirt roads. Mission San Javier being a very rewarding ride as there is beer and food when you arrive. Wear hats and bring lots of water.
Neal Cox

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 02:39 PM
riding your bike in baja

Every time I drive down Baja I see bicyclists along the route. I hate to think of what they must go though on their trip. I always give them respect and a wide berth, but still !!!! I would take a bike for side trips, but would never consider biking down the T/P. Just my opinion.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 04:01 PM

Rana:

Picture this.

You are riding up a hill on a bike. I'm approaching you from the downhill side. I figure I might have enough room to pass because you are moving slowly. As I pull around you, an eighteen wheeler comes over the hill.

Guess who gets it?

Have a great trip.

jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 07:41 PM
A Picture Is worth a Thousand Words

Picture a trucker coming up behind you on a blind curve when a truck is passing you head on...who do you think will lose?

That could ruin your whole day.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 07:58 PM
Good Pic Jeans but......

do you happen to have, and can post one of the hwy. going down the grade into Santa Rosalia? Every time this comes up I flash back to each time I've met up with someone on a bike and then a truck and no where to go......how about just before you get into Mulege? (the curves from HELL!)

Rana....Please! Before you do this, DRIVE down Mex 1 at least once and learn what you are up against. Debra
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 08:10 PM
Debra,

Nope..no pic there...I needed both hands in those places!:o

This was taken on the flats north of Guerrero Negro. The truck looks far away, but at the speed we were both going I barely got my arm back in the truck in time!

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 08:16 PM
Yes, you are sooooo right

I don't have any pics. of that area either for the same reason!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 11:52 PM

Not only will I get you a photo of the Santa Rosalia downgrade ('Cuesta del Infierno'/ 'Hell's Grade'), but in my other hand I will have my GPS, while I drive with my legs and tell you about the nearest missions... LOL There's just some things guys can do that girls can't (or won't... ha ha ha)... G'night ladies... I am off to Baja tomorrow for lunch with amigos at Dave's Nueva York Deli.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 04:57 PM
Santa Rosalia Grade

Like David said. You can't see my hands because they are busy making tuna fish (with mustard), talking on the phone, and drinking a cold Pacifico while keeping an eye out for targets, I mean bikers!:lol:
Stick to the dirt guys.
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 05:19 PM
What a bunch of negative people!

Hi. I've met about a half-dozen bicyclers in southern Baja, and none of them mentioned any major problems. The nice thing about a bike is you can HEAR the vehicles coming and ease off the road if two are coming at once.

Another nice thing about Baja is that you can take your bike on the bus if it's uncrowded, and travel 100 miles or so for $12. Do a search on biking baja on Google or try Lonely Planet Thorntree "Mexico" or "On Your Bike".

They can steer you straight. The people on this board are complete motorheads, and when they see my kayak, ask "Where's the motor go?". ;^)

Have fun...lots of people have done this ride, and continue to do so. The major problem I heard of was flat tires from spiny plants...Of course be prepared for desert conditions also.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 06:39 PM
And like I said,

Targets. I am by no means a "motorhead" although I do drive this highway fairly regularly. In a big ol pollutin gas van. I can't imagine a more dangerous road anywhere for riding a bike. And I too see many people on bikes wherever I have been in Mexico (sometimes in places I can't believe!) worth a story sometime. But seriously, because of the narrowness of La Carretera, the width of the buses, trucks and motorhomes, which is the majority of vehicles, why would you even want to when there are so many safer, more scenic, bike friendly roads in all parts of Baja.
To say you did? Would this be called "Pedalhead"?
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 06:47 PM
6 arrivals

I've seen a lot more than that heading south from here! Only the 6 made it. Sounds like a job for Baja Search and Rescue!
Personally, I would stick with the dirt roads.
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 07:48 PM
For bicyclists, I prefer the term...

..."dope-swilling logo monkeys". Actually, that's just for Lance Armstrong and his ilk. But that's beside the point, which is: ask a bicyclist who's done the trip. There are lots of them.

As far as what type of bike, all I noticed was the term "kevlar" when they talked about tires. None of them were on actual mountain bikes with fat tires, but on ones with skinny tires with knobby treads, smooth down the middle. Hope this helps.
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 09:11 PM
???

Ski...Where was that "vado" that was in the picture? Recent?
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 09:26 PM
Vado

It was about a week ago but not anywhere where anybody wants to go right now. Just an example of paved roads for pedalheads. And I enjoy biking myself by the way. Near La Paz.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 11:57 PM
Vandy, I don't think we are 'negitive' just worried

David K. and Dick.......have you not yet figured out why none of us 'girlz' will ride with you any longer? :P

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.