Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pictures: The inside of a BARREL cactus
jide
Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 12-1-2005 at 09:01 PM
Pictures: The inside of a BARREL cactus

check out this link my friend sent me:

http://iciclelanding.com/aperture?hascaption=397&photo=7...

[Edited on 12-2-2005 by jide]

jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 09:02 PM

I would not sacrifice a barrel cactus that's probably more than 30 years old, unless I was dying of thirst, but I've always been curious what the inside looks like... and tastes like......

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 09:48 PM

They have some nasty stuff in them that is not good for human drinking, contrary to the old wives tale. You are better off with sea water - and that's no help either.:barf:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2005 at 06:11 AM

better use of the shovel...replant the barrel......:light:
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2005 at 08:31 AM

Typical ugly american stuff!

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-2-2005 at 09:12 AM

With a hundred god-zillion barrel cactus out there, sacraficing one for scientific study or school research is probably not in the same catagory of ugliness as the Mexican government hired road builders who destroyed a 200 meter wide path through some of the most beautiful desert gardens to build Hwy. 1. Ocotillos and Tree Yuccas are regularly cut down to make fences and walls... Not making an excuse for the 'ugly Americans' eating the barrel cactus mind you, just providing some perspective.

Did you see some of the other photos this guy took? A prize winning one I would say of the sunrise with the sea gull caught in the photo... Others too. Inside Rancho El Mano was interesting too.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bugdude
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2005 at 09:19 AM

I was bewildered by what purpose destroying a ~30 year-old Barrel cactus served.

A Google search provided much information in regards to consuming the "water" and pulp. Here are a couple of websites I found most applicable:

http://www.nybg.org/bsci/herb/cactaceae1.html --

"This species [barrel cactus] and others have been noted by Dr. F. V. Conville in the article "Desert Plants as a Source of Drinking Water." Its top may be sliced off, and by mashing the pulp of a large plant, three quarts of potable water may be obtained. Chemical studies have shown, however, that some species of barrel cactus are extremely alkaline, and drinking the pulp will lead to dehydration.

A spine-free joint of the cactus is also used as a poultice for sprains and bruises. In the markets of Mexico, the epidermis and spines are removed from this and other related species, and the flesh is diced, cooked in sugar, and sold as "dulces" (candy)."

http://xperiencetheoutdoors.com/geocache/safety_desert_hikin... --

"The barrel cactus contains a wet meaty interior, like an apple. If you cut it open, you can squeeze out the juice (don't eat the pulp). This should only be done in a life or death situation, and only if you know what a barrel cactus looks like (it has pink or red thorns that are curved like fish hooks). Barrel cacti look a lot like young saguaro which has straight white thorns. If the juice is milky, find another cactus"

[Edited on 11/12/2005 by bugdude]

A man\'s reach should exceed his grasp - or what\'s a heaven for?

Robert Browning
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2005 at 09:23 AM
Barrels

Like David, I'm not excusing anything, but one of the biggest depredations of barrel cactus is its use for pig fodder. They chop it and toss it to the piggies by the truckload. I have one barrel cactus that I picked up behind a dozer. It's now growing in my yard, a bit over a foot tall, and I know that it is at least 20 years old. It probably takes a thousand years of barrel cactus growth to raise a single pig.
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2005 at 09:44 AM
disgusting- typical tourist BS

:no:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-2-2005 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajalero
:no:

Sorry lero, but tehag is correct... no bs, the locals do feed them to pigs... I had forgotten to make that point above.

Here is the evidence (from page 125 of the Baja Ca Plant Field Guide by Norman Roberts):

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-2-2005 at 04:43 PM

gawd-when they say pigs will eat anything, i had no idea!:wow:

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2005 at 07:24 PM

yea they use the spines to make silk purses out of the sows ears:??yes::yes::yes::yes: have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 12-3-2005 at 02:20 PM

Some other real winners there too....:no:

# 7-12 teaching 10 year-old kids it's OK to do donuts in the desert.

# 68-74 That it is OK to break into someone's house just b'c no one is home (Rancho El Mano)

:fire:

Idiots!
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2005 at 07:48 PM

My Nana made Christmas candy from the heart of a barrel cactus once (the short squat ones that grow here in AZ). I was about 8 years old so I do not remember it much. It was not very sweet but was colored red and green. interesting tast and a chewy texture. I will ask my dad if he remebers how she did it.

Geronimo

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.