Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Almanac
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 08:27 AM
Baja Almanac

Anyone know where to buy a copy of the Baja Almanac, too late for mail order, left home before the next crappy weather bout, hanging in Santa Barbara then San Diego before Baja.
Any help???
Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 08:39 AM

All over San Diego County... Barnes and Noble Book Stores, The Map Centre, Discover Baja Travel Club (yes, they sell to non-members)...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 09:12 AM

Thanks David K, Does the Baja Almanac have GPS points and or LAT/LON grid lines?
Thanks
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 01:07 PM

It has LAT/LON marks on the edges. Top, bottom and sides.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 01:55 PM

One of the Mexican Insurance booths at Exit 2 just before crossing at San Diego usually sells it.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 07:29 PM

Call these people and have them put one of the copies they have on hold for you (pay and pick it up):

Instant Mexico Auto Insurance Services
223 Via De San Ysidro
San Ysidro, CA 92173
(619) 428-4714 or 428-3583
TOLL FREE CALLING ALL U.S. AND CANADA
1-800-345-4701 FAX SERVICE (619) 690-6533

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 07:41 PM
I think Hugos big store

In front of the Rosarito Beach Hotel has them.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 08:12 PM

As stated there are lat/lon markers on the edges of the maps. That said, don't expect too much from the accuracy of these maps. They can be off by quite a considerable amount, but they're good enough for a general fix on your location, so it may be worth it for you. If you want EXTREMELY accurate maps, you should look at the ones from INEGI (http://www.inegi.gob.mx). I also believe mexicomaps.com sells them.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

smile.gif posted on 12-5-2005 at 11:46 PM
Baja almanac

How off :?::?::?: Roberto
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 11:55 PM

The Baja Almanac uses the Mexican topos from INEGI, just reduced scale to fit in the book form. The same mistakes made by the Mexican cartographers are repeated in the Almanac...

Things like Bahia San Luis Gonzaga misnamed (switched with Ensenada de San Francisquito), Arroyo el Volcan and Zamorra switched, roads shown that really aren't there (like between San Francisco de la Sierra and Santa Marta), roads not shown in their correct location (like Hwy. 1 between San Agustin and Catavina or the graded road south of L.A. Bay), etc.

With all those errors, it is still the best map for Baja exploring... The bigger scale INEGI maps would be better for serious backpacking trips, but not very handy for use in the car.

[Edited on 12-6-2005 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 02:08 PM

The INEGI maps and the Baja Almanac maps are completely different - they are not just reduced in size, they are completely different maps. I have both sets, and I have digitized both of them and there is no way they are the same.

The Almanac maps can be off by 3-4 miles in places. I'm talking about both roads and other locations. The INEGI maps are spot in in every circumstance. They are missing some of the features of the Almanac maps, like some place names, though not in major towns.

Once again, for pure accuracy, the INEGI maps cannot be beat, but the Almanac maps have some additional features that are nice. That's why I have both, digitized, and can use them with OziExplorer and my GPS.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 06:54 PM

Thanks Roberto... I have INEGI topos and are as I stated, but maybe there are newer ones now with better cartography and editing.

I guess I need to go to Tijuana and pick some up... or does Map Center have the newest ones?

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 07:25 PM

You'll save big time buying from INEGI - unless you count the cost of getting to Tijuana.

:saint:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 07:38 PM

Don't know about Map Center, only the two sources stated above. But, you can check this out too ...
http://www.ofps.ucar.edu/name/science_planning/MX_maps/mx_ma...

[Edited on 12-7-2005 by Roberto]
willsfam

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 07:47 PM

Let me know if you need me to look for one

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.