Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: rent a car in San Diego and cross or rent in TJ
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 09:41 AM
rent a car in San Diego and cross or rent in TJ

So Lynna and I want to drive down to elias calles since we haven't driven it in years and have been flying from the east coast.

My question is this should I rent a car in San Diego and pay the extra Mexico insurance that seems to be absurd. (anyone know of a good deal with a particular rental company)

or

Should we cross over into TJ and rent one there instead with the assumption that it will already be covered for use in Mexico. If so where would you go? the airport? Anyone know any good deals?

We need it from the 16th to Jan 5th

Any other suggestions or obvious ideas I am missing?
Thanks everyone

[Edited on 6-12-2005 by Bajabus]

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Kell-Baja
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 12-6-2005 at 03:00 PM
Rental Car

Check out www.cabaja.com for a rental from San Diego to Baja.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajabus
So Lynna and I want to drive down to elias calles since we haven't driven it in years and have been flying from the east coast.

My question is this should I rent a car in San Diego and pay the extra Mexico insurance that seems to be absurd. (anyone know of a good deal with a particular rental company)

or

Should we cross over into TJ and rent one there instead with the assumption that it will already be covered for use in Mexico. If so where would you go? the airport? Anyone know any good deals?

We need it from the 16th to Jan 5th

Any other suggestions or obvious ideas I am missing?
Thanks everyone

[Edited on 6-12-2005 by Bajabus]
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 05:58 PM

thanks for the tip but too expensive. $54.97 per day plus 32 cents per mile with only 100 miles free per day for economy class

renting in the USA is not possible. the only company that will let their cars in is Avis and they want an extra $25 per day for the Mex insurance.

Best deal I found is rent from Budget in TJ, unlimited miles, $609 complete with taxes, airport fees and Mexican insurance (full collision, damages, vandalism, theft no deductible) for a 20 day rental economy class

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Pstreet1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 01:08 AM

Are you aware that if you choose an off-airport location, you will save quite a significant amount per day on the rental? You will save many times the cab fare to pick up the car, and some of them have free customer pickup and return. I just looked in the San Diego phone book and here are the numbers of the companies that said they allowed cars to go to Mexico:
1. Advantage: 1-800-574-6000
Avis: 1-800-831-2847 Airport office 619-688-5000
California Baja, Rent-a-Car (off airport): 619-445-2600 www.cabaja.com
email info@cabaja.com
Courtesy Auto Rental (off airport): 619-426-3433 or 619-424-8606 www.courtesyauto.com
Fuller Ford Rent-a-Car (off airport): 619-656-3370 www.thinkfuller.com
SouthWest Car Rental (off airport, but has free pickup & return): 619-429-9040
airport location number: 619-298-7544
Rental Image (off airport, but free customer pickup and return; however, it may be too far from
the airport to be practical; I'm not sure of the location of this one): 1-800-725-5102
West Coast Rent A Car (off airport--free customer pickup): 619-544-0606
Blue12

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 01:19 PM

I called the places listed above and this is what I found...

Fuller - you can go as far as San Felipe
Southwest - you can go 100 miles in to Baja
West Coast - Go to Ensenada
Avis - San Felipe

The best deal I found was with Avis at san diego airport with a AAA discount. But it is $25 extra a day for mexico Ins. I'll keep hunting and see what else I find.
Blue12

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 02:53 PM

Best Deal!!! I went to Thrifty website and rented an SUV for 9 days for $373. It is $25 day for Mexican insurance but it still comes out cheaper than anywhere else. Plus, there are no restrictions on where you can go in Baja. All it says is that you have to purchase the insurance. I called to and they confirmed that there are no restrictions shown when going into Mexico besides the insurance.

When I called though the rate was over twice as much as the internet quote so try the internet. I rented from the San Diego airport.

Good luck!
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 08:33 AM

Yes, I would cross into Tijuana and go to the airport and rent a car there. At least, that's what I would start looking at. I know a few people who have done this, flying in from abroad and renting compact cars for a good price. If you do this, you should pre-arrange the rental from the U.S., as you will get a better deal than renting on the spot.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.