Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: COCOS!!!
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

thumbup.gif posted on 10-25-2003 at 08:38 AM
COCOS!!!

No...not that crazy, lovable, one-legged guy on the Gonzaga - Chapala Road. I'm talking coconuts.

For decades I've seen the roadside stands all around Baja. There, under a tarp would be a table laden with the large greenish/brown tropical fruit. I had never stopped to try one until last week.

It was Georock's idea...she said they were delicious. Wow...she was right.

This particular stand was on the road into Tecate. It was operated by a little Indian-looking woman with a VERY serious machete. We picked out our cocos (30 pesos) and she went to work.

With a few deft whacks of her knife, the top of the coconut is exposed along with a little straw hole. While we sipped out the contents, she worked on the next one.

When we finish with the drink, we gave it back to her and a few whacks later, the top of the coconut is cut off. I'd never seen anything like it. (I checked...she still had all of her fingers which is amazing...that knife was really flying.)

Next, out came a scoop-like tool and she pried all of the coconut meat away from the shell. She then poured a chili sauce over it and squeezed a lime to top it off, stuck two toothpicks in the pile of coconut meat and handed it back to me....

It was delicious! I'm never going to pass a COCO stand again! (which may add considerably to my travel time from now on) :yes::tumble::yes::tumble:

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 09:01 AM

:yes:Jeans - my first real coconut dropped from a tree on the Malecon in La Paz - near clobbered DH. Big coconut. We took it back to Cabanas de Los Arcos, where one of the groundskeepers produced and machete and we proceded to drink/eat/smile like fools. Never much cared for coconut until then. Now it's a regular Baja treat. Glad you've discovered the tasty treats.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 09:12 AM

I guess the reason I never bothered to stop before was that I ate them as a kid. My mom would buy them...the brown stringy, dry rocks at the grocery store in Pasadena. The meat was hard & tasteless.

These were soft & chewy and with the chili sauce & lime were wonderful. YUM!

[Edited on 10-25-2003 by jeans]

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 10:58 AM
Bright green

for soft young flesh. Rubbery...squidlike texture. YUMMY!.:bounce:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 03:45 PM

Jeans: Please bear with me for a short story on Coconuts.
Many years ago Betty and Bill Riffe of Loreto{who still reside in the Round House in Loreto} introduced me to a Special Coco.
Take the Nuts and drill a small hole in top and take out the Juice,replace the Juice with your favorite Gin, Vodka, put in the Refrig for about 3 months then take them out put a small hole in the top and get a long straw an slowly start sippin!!!!
Virginia and I planted over 250 Coconut Palms at Rancho Sonrisa, in 6 years they started producing and several were over 3 stories tall.
Skeet/Loreto
jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 04:17 PM
Skeet...

I see a potential problem with that story.

If they are as good as you indicate..and I have no doubt that they are...I see a referigerator that is crammed with cocos and no room for food!

Last week I showed "the Girlz" my property where I want to build a Guadalupe Canyon Norte, hopefully before next summer. I was thinking date palms, but now maybe I
do coco palms too. Do they grow in San Diego? And I'll have to wait 6 years? :(
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 05:38 PM

Jeans: Sorry but Loreto is about the North limit on growing Coco Palms.Buy a used Refridg at the Yard Sales ,keep in the Garage for Cocos. Skeet/Loreto
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 11:00 PM

I have to tell you, after reading jeans' story it was real hard not to pull over today as we drove past the coco venders in Rosarito!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 12:28 PM

David K., how did you resist? I know exactly what stand you passed, the one at the north end of the town.

In the Bahamas, I learned how to open coconuts without tools. My boys climbed the trees and knocked them down, or threw rocks to dislodge the tasty treats.

I personally like to drink some of the coconut milk out, then dump in some gin, sip up the rest on a white sandy beach listening to the gentle surf. Then a machate wracks it in half and the soft, gooey insides are scooped out. Topped with hot sauce and lime juice...yummmy!

Never pass up a coco stand, life's too short!

P.S. In the Bahamas they eat them plain. I introduced many a native to the Mexican method and they loved it.

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 03:56 PM

Actually, the south end between the AM/PM Pemex next to the toll booth and Foxploration on the free road. I saw two coco vendors... Yah, that really sounds great, as I love coconut...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.