Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 08:02 AM
Chasepit Baja 1000 Report

WE ARRIVED CHASEPIT AND WENT HOME CHAMPIONS
Ensenada/San Felipe

Baja 1000
Nov. 17, 2005.
San Felipe, Mexico

The start of the 2005 Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 was finally here. For those of us with the desert racing bug, the Baja 1000 is our Woodstock, our Indy 500. Everybody will be there. Anyone who is anyone will be there. The Baja 1000 is no doubt the most grueling race anywhere, in any form of motorsports. For this years race, the Chasepit team is once again working with Bob Shepard who races the Geiser Bros built Chevy Silverado Trophy Truck out of Phoenix, Arizona. The Chasepit team has worked with Bob Shepard for the entire 2005 SCORE season bringing his Trophy Truck #82 to the final race of the SCORE Desert Racing Series leading in the points championship, having finished every race.
The 2004 Baja 1000 was the first official Chasepit race, and it was quite a success. Chasepit was an outstanding investment for our sponsors last year having our pit stop broadcast on MSNBC and helping SMD Motorsports win the race and Protruck Championship. This years Chasepit team numbers more than twenty men, making up four chase crews and a fully stocked main pit location just outside of San Felipe, Baja Norte, Mexico.

Our task this year was to monitor the progress and provide pit support over 250 miles of race course for two Trophy Trucks, with the possibility of working on several others who had requested emergency pit support service if needed. While the Trophy Truck #82 driven by Bob Shepard was main emphasis, the Geiser Bros Built Trophy Truck #38 driven by Garron Cadiente was also on our list of race cars to attend to.

Rick Geiser, fabricator extraordinaire tasked our team with providing full race support for the entire Eastern side of the race course. Our responsibility would begin when the race truck came out of the mountains and onto the dry lake bed at race mile 150 (RM150) South of Mexicali and end when the race truck reached Mexico Highway 3 at RM400.
Chasepit Crew Chief Mark "Poolman" Diebert set out a plan in which a chase crew would be staged at Race Mile 150, to establish contact with the race truck and take care of any immediate needs. This crew would then slowly follow the progress of the truck after it passed their location, being careful not to get into a position in which they could not get onto the race course behind the truck and reach them for assistance if something happened.
Chasing is a delicate operation unique to our sport. When Rusty Wallace?s NASCAR has a problem he just coasts into the pits. This just ain?t happening out here in Baja. This is real racing, not a bunch of rednecks driving mindlessly around in circles like so many pieces of brown turds on their way down the toilet.
A chase crew is a couple of desert savvy mechanics with an off road capable vehicle that locate themselves in a strategic location to be available in case the race vehicle has mechanical problems or needs assistance in another way such as being pulled out of the sand or rolled back onto its wheels. It is absolutely forbidden for a chase vehicle to travel backwards on the race course (for obvious reasons) so the crew must plan their maneuvers carefully. The crew needs to stay behind the truck in case they need to get to them, but needs to also move with the truck to maintain radio contact and to reduce the time it would take to reach the vehicle if necessary.
The guys selected for this task were long time veterans, Bill and Albert. RM 150 was not east to get to, much less get out of during the race. These guys were tasked to getter done while working their way South to our main pit and they did just that.
" Chasepit Main" as we began to call it was a great location. Overlooking the Sea of Cortez, it was near the beginning of old Puertocitos road. The pit had to be in the RM240 range and we needed a location that would allow access without traveling on the race course. Since we needed a crew of guys that would be helping at our main pit stop to leave post haste.
The day before the race, Poolman and I chose the location of Chasepit Main on the East side of the course at about RM243. It was a perfect location except for one thing. The edge of the course was a sharp three foot ledge which would prove difficult for the truck to cross on the way into the pit. Now of course the 800 horse power Trophy Truck could make it across this ledge but a good pit allows for easy access and exit in order to keep everyone safe. The last thing we needed was for Bob to come it hot, jump the ledge off camber, take out the fuel tower and run over a couple of my crew guys.
When Poolman and I looked it over we thought, "no problem" we could have a couple of our newest team members work the edge with shovels. I am sure they could have gotten the edge knocked down in five or six hours of digging. After all, they are "newbies". Just then, it happened. We could hear a diesel motor lumbering off in the distance and sure as chit, here comes a back hoe. Like an offering from the Desert Racing Gods, a backhoe pulls right up. After a little negotiating, "Nacho" decided to join the ranks of Chasepit.com and he went to work.

Our newest team member "Nacho" working on the main pit entrance

After only 30 minutes of work, the excavation division of Chasepit.com had the entrance and exit to our main pit slicker than snot on a brass door knob. Only in Baja could you negotiate such fine machine work for the price of a few cold brews and a handshake. It was meant to be it seemed.

Our main pit had a huge task at hand. We had a list of work to do regardless of the condition of the truck. In addition to taking care of any repairs necessary, we were scheduled to mount two new rear tires, top the truck off with up to 80 gallons of race fuel and install a huge light bar on the top of the cab of the race truck. This light bar was loaded with Hella HID lights. Large high powered lights are required equipment for attacking the second half of the course which would be traversed at night. Typically, experienced teams do not install the lights until just before they are needed since often times they are ripped off the truck during the race.
On race day, we also sent two different crews to points south. Todd Zuercher a long time Chasepit.com team member and certified Early Bronco expert (or is that nut?) led a crew of three men who positioned themselves near RM 260. This location would allow Todd to monitor the progress of the truck all the way South to Matomi Wash where our Southern most crew of Martin Gill and his son were staged for action. After Todd was certain that the truck reached Martin he then moved across the Southern loop of the course and positioned his crew at RM 336 near a BF Goodrich pit location. Once the truck reached Martin, it was his job to ensure that it got to Todd.
The Matomi Wash section of the course was thought to be the most difficult of the entire course. Martin is a desert racing veteran on his first race with the guys of Chasepit.com. Martin had to be ready for extraction, no doubt about it. Poolman and I spoke to Garrand (TT#38) prior to the race about this area. According to Garrand, he got stuck four times in this section of the course while pre-running.Bob Sheppard Leading the race being directed into our pit

Race day was breezy but warm. Our plan worked as designed. Minutes before we saw first truck on the course, we were in contact with Bob?s Co-Driver Josh. Vital information was relayed to him immediately such as the exact location of the pit, a reminder of our planned work and a description of the pit entrance which would be marked by a Chasepit team member wearing a red vest flagging him in. According to Josh the truck was running "clean" so no additional service was necessary. Josh politely asked us to "hurry" since they were second on the course and leading the race on time. I told him we were ready and reminded him to keep Bob "on the brakes" which is necessary when changing tires.
When Bob came into the pit, you could hear the truck sizzle. Bob landed the truck just where I had indicated, pushing the nerf bar right into my chest like the pro he is. The Pit Boss parks the truck, planting himself in front of the truck during the stop. I communicate with the Co-Driver, and over see the work being done on the truck kind of like a maestro leading an orchestra except instead of waiving that gay stick around I scream at guys. Positioning the truck correctly is crucial when using a dry break fuelling system. The fuelling hose must reach the truck with ease and space must be allowed for the guys to get the rear tires changed.

This pit stop was beautiful. Just after the truck stopped I ducked as the guys brought the massive light bar over my head. Our North chase crew arrived right before the truck and jumped into action helping position the light bar. Shannon and Collin transferred over 70 gallons of race fuel using the fuel tower while Jim worked the dead man lever and manned a fire bottle. Mike worked on changing a tire as did Robert and Rubbertoe with the help of Kyle and Ken. Poolman worked on the light bar while this was going on. Russel was the jackman for this race and worked it like a pro. During the race we used Jake as a "runner" who delivered necessary items as I barked them out. When Poolman and Bill had difficulty "convincing" the light bar to drop into place on the chassis of the truck I started screaming "Big Ass Hammer" which seemed necessary since the dead blow units were not getting it done. On cue, out of the dust came Jake with the hammer that saved the day!

This stop was completed in two minutes and ten seconds. A very good stop indeed. Just before we finished, the Herbst Trophy Truck passed by causing Bob to waive his hands jesturing his displeasure at having lost a position. I could see the determination in his eyes. He wanted this race and the Trophy Truck Championship bad, after all, he had driven every mile of every race this season and finished them all.

Bob leaving the pit. Note Jake cheering him on, jumping in the air.When I sent Bob out, he was still leading the race overall on time and third truck on course. After the dust cleared, the guys of Chasepit cheered and jumped around like a bunch of fat girls at a Ricky Martin concert. Our day was not over however. In accordance with out plan, we immediately sent out two trucks toward RM 370 Morelia Junction to take the hand off from Todd. Bob was on a mission and we did not know how long it would take for this crew to get into position due to race day traffic and since they had to cross Zoo road during the race. Zoo road is one of those location that draws loads of crazed desert racing fans.Crazed fans crowding the course.

(Photo by Peter Brock)

The remaining crew of Chasepit Main, relayed to Bob and Josh the truck position which was a no brainer when you are winning. We continued to monitor the radio while rolling up our equipment. Once we learned that the race truck made RM260 we knew that Todd was on the job and we could pull out. There is loads of equipment involved in a full service pit. Everything you could think of including a generator, welder, chop saw, parts chemicals, saws all, torch, you name it. After we got everything torn down and cleaned up our pit area we headed back to base camp to unload all the gear and the fuel tower at "Chasepit Base" better known as Pete?s Camp. Then we were off to support the Morelia Junction crew at RM 370.
We were in contact with our crew at RM370 who was in place and ready. The plan was a "splash and go" but you never know. On the way to RM 370 I heard on the radio that Bob was still leading the race. At this point we were dirty and tired but this news was a shot in the arm for sure. I headed to Zoo road in my Superduty with Rubbertoe behind in his. Based on the information I had, I did not think we could make RM370 before the truck. I had enough guys and equipment in place however to "getter done" and that they did.
Our second pit stop at Morelia Junction.

Again, the truck was running "clean" and it was a gas and go. On my way to Morelia Junction I heard that the work was done and everything went well. When myself and our remaining crew rolled up on Morelia Junction RM 370 the stop had already occurred. Our only remaining responsibility was to monitor the progress of the truck as it headed toward the highway at RM 400 and be prepared to go on course to help if there was an issue. Once we heard that Bob had reached RM 400 we were done.
We could not have done any better. We got Bob through our section of the course and got him headed toward the Pacific Ocean side of the course in the lead. All the guys were tired but stoked. The sound of cold Corona?s being popped open could be heard all around. After watching the race for an hour or so, we headed back to base camp and began to radio relay to all of our other chase crews. It was around midnight before we got word that all the crews were safe and I could park the truck and settle in to camp.
The next morning, while eating breakfast Poolman barged in and shouted that Bob had won the Trophy Truck race and the Championship. Not bad.
The guys of Chasepit.com would like to congratulate Bob Shepard on his Baja 1000 victory, as well as thank him for allowing Chasepit to be a part of the entire season. We would also like to thank Rick and Jeff Geiser for allowing us to be a part of there operation as well. Chasepit.com?s affiliation with Geiser Bros and Bob Shepard will continue into the 2006 SCORE Desert Racing Series. The number will look great on our t-shirts next year.

Junior
Pit Boss

Jerry "Junior" Hinkle
Mark "Poolman" Diebert
Robert "Rubbertoe" Weideman
Robert " Robert Jr" Sowinski
Shannon Booth
Collin Corrigan
Dan Goldberg
Todd Zuercher
Russell Wright
Kyle
Martin Gill
Martin?s son
Matt Lane
Shane Ballard
Ken Wilson
Bill
Albert Lara
Mike Kerr
Jim Kerr
Jake Hinkle

To learn more about the Baja 1000 go to www.score-international.com. To get more information about Chasepit and to view additional pictures and video of the Chasepit 2004, 2005 Baja 1000 Pit Support team visit www.chasepit.com.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 08:04 AM

The pictures didn't come thru. If you want to see the pictures go to the Chasepit web site. http://www.chasepit.com/pits/05baja1000chasepit.html

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.