Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: help when pulled over by police
sanfelipebob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 02:34 PM
help when pulled over by police

What is the phrase to use to the police when they pull you over seeking bribes? Thanks and please no jokes !!!!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 02:56 PM

something about the Sindictura...to me that's a bit accusational, though. I simply ask to pay the ticket at the police station...if you've done the crime, you'll pay at the station. Otherwise, the officer "will let you off this time."

Zac

Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 03:47 PM

Not what you asked but, When I first came down here with US plated autos, I was occasionally stopped, since I have driven Mexican plated cars, I have not been stopped. (2 years US plated, 8 years Mexican plated).

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 04:09 PM

"how much do you want for mordida?"

Not a joke.....just negotiate...pay.....and go on your way....:lol:

[Edited on 12-8-2005 by surfer jim]
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:

"No chingues, cabr?n."

Uhhh... I think that's right. ?

--Larry

As a verb, can mean either to win or to f*ck, and it is usually an action that you or another person (or group of people) (rarely an innanimate object) does to somebody (yourself, themselves or a third party (be it person or corporation)). When used by a person referring to themselves (i.e. "Me chingu?!"), it means they screwed up and everything went wrong. Or for example, when somebody screws another person, you say: "Se lo ching?!". when your best friend gets f*cked, you HAVE to say: "Te on!". It also applies to the action of f*cking, although it is very vulgar and "naco" to say it this way (for example: "Estaban (they were) chingando (f*cking)..." But never use it this way because you run the risk of dying. It?s not always a negative connotation this word has, no!- believe me, it can be good. When something is a piece of cake and going really good for you, you say: "Ya chingu?!". With a little patience and practice, you too can use this wonderful and versatile word!

Other common uses:
Que ching?n! (How f*cking good!)
Como chingas! (You annoy the f*ck out of me!)
L?rgate a la ! (Get the f*ck out!)
No chingues! (Stop f*cking!)
Que chinga! (It?s a whole lotta f*ckin? hard work!)
Se ching?! (It?s f*cked!)
Qu? chingados? (What the f*ck!?!?)
A la ! (The f*ck with it!)
Ching?telo(a)! (Imperative: F*ck him (her)!!)
Chinga! (F*ck!)
madre! (F*ck!)
Chingados! (F*ck!)
And maybe the most important use of them all: CHINGAS A TU MADRE!!!

Therianthropic
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 04:51 PM
?

Quote:
Originally posted by sanfelipebob
What is the phrase to use to the police when they pull you over seeking bribes? Thanks and please no jokes !!!!

Are you wanting to pay or go to the station, I really don't understand your question. Sindicatura is the wrong aproach in any case.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 05:05 PM

I personally would stay away from the word chinga just in case you use it the wrong way and it comes out really ugly.
Being polite and patient has always worked...well almost always but that is another story.
We got pulled just north of San Quintin the first time we ever drove down. We passed with a Pepsi truck and another pickup, 2 cars. A Federal pulled we three. The guys driving the other pickup didnt have a license because his wallet had been stolen the night before. So the cop says ok the girl can drive and asks for her license. Well, they were on there way to San Quintin to celebrate her birthday and, you guessed it, her license had expired that day. We had all the papers: insurance, registration, drivers licenses etc. We told them that we would wait with them just in case this cop did something like took them and their vehicle to the station. The Pepsi driver got what sounded like a scolding and was on his way. Then the cop came back to we four. He looked at the other couple and said, Ok you can go. He looked at my husband and said, I am taking your license and you have to go back to Ensenada to pay the ticket. We said that we were going to Los Cabos and he said that his license would be waiting for us in La Paz. Was it? Who knows, we sure didnt stop. We got pulled again just as we were within sight of our house. The cop asked for my husband's license and when he told him that the Federales had it, the local cop laughed and patted my husband on the back and said good luck. We have since applied for and gotten Mex drivers licenses so I guess that license got lost somewhere along the way...a long journey of 10 years...no wonder, eh?

sanfelipebob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 06:15 PM
found the answer I was looking for thanks.

There is a public worker's union office specifically charged with investigating police matters, and firing corrupt officials. It is called the "Sindicatura," and it is a name you should remember. It is pronounced "seen-dee-kah-too-ra."

It does not matter if the officer speaks English, or understands anything of what you are saying. When he hears that word, the game is usually over. It has been said by a Mexican observer, "Sindicatura to a police officer is like a gold cross to a vampire." They are the "untouchables" of the local government.

Sindicatura del Gobierno Municipal Tijuana (665) 688-2810, 973-7770, 973-7759
Ensenada (646) 617,1561, 176-2222
Mexicali (686) 558-1600 x1661

It might be useful to have a small sheet taped to the back of your drivers license with these phone numbers written below the words Sindicatura del Gobierno Municipal.

If you have a phone number for the Sindicatura in another Baja city, please send the information to me by email: ftm @ math.ucr.edu.

The Sindicatura organization in Tijuana has a website at

www.sindicatura.gob.mx
I find this website difficult to navigate, but you might give it try. There is a complaints form - I'll provide a separate link here to avoid the navagations problems with the website:

www.sindicatura.gob.mx/complaints/Complaints.asp
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 07:16 PM

From your previous posts, I gather that you are in BCS - as far as I know all bets are off, sindicatura applies only to BC. I wouldn't try it in Los Cabos.

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 09:05 PM

Tucker,
Yo tampoco

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 10:19 PM

Quote:
There is a public worker's union office specifically charged with investigating police matters, and firing corrupt officials. It is called the "Sindicatura," and it is a name you should remember. It is pronounced "seen-dee-kah-too-ra."

It does not matter if the officer speaks English, or understands anything of what you are saying. When he hears that word, the game is usually over. It has been said by a Mexican observer, "Sindicatura to a police officer is like a gold cross to a vampire." They are the "untouchables" of the local government.

Please people, do NOT get confrontational with police, in ANY situation. Listen to Ferna.

Sindicatura ONLY (and rarely) works if you can talk and walk the walk. Whoever posted this BS caught the right cop on the wrong day.

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 09:26 AM

Quote:

The way you are advising this can get a lot of people in a lot of trouble.
Take it from a mexicano that knows it.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
It might be useful to have a small sheet taped to the back of your drivers license with these phone numbers written below the words Sindicatura del Gobierno Municipal.

Here is a thread that discussed that
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=13401#pid1116...
If you read Oso's post, he sais that in AZ it is a criminal act to do that. Dont know about M?xico.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 10:12 AM

Here is the link to the page on Fred's web site that Bob used... Much comes from Fred Hoctor about using 'Sindicatura'... http://math.ucr.edu/ftm/bajaPages/Legal.html

Frankly, I would just be as polite as possible and keep a smile on your face...

fdt (Ferna de Tijuana) is in the 'know' as a Mexican who speaks English and has been in the tourist industry for years!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:

Here is a thread that discussed that
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=13401#pid1116...
If you read Oso's post, he sais that in AZ it is a criminal act to do that. Dont know about M?xico.

Thanks for keeping me from repeating myself, Ferna.

As for me, I would not Threaten to call Sindicatura. I would just report a corrupt cop to them after the attempted shakedown. I would ask to follow him to the judge whether I was in the wrong or the right. The fine would be cheaper if guilty and there is a good chance he would back off if bluffing or the judge would believe me instead of him (Don't snicker, it's actually happened to me.) I really doubt simply repeating the word "sindictura" (sic) without the ability to explain yourself in Spanish would cause a mordelon to soil himself.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 08:38 PM

I'm with you Oso - take me to the judge -

I had a "running a stop sign" ticket donw here last spring - about $8 at the station - no big deal. A friend got stopped for the same thing a couple days later and BEGGED the cop to take $40 to not go to the station -??????????????????

:saint:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

fdt (Ferna de Tijuana) is in the 'know' as a Mexican who speaks English and has been in the tourist industry for years!

I even look mexican :lol::lol::lol:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 09:13 PM

Ok,

It's not that complicated.

If you have commited an infraction, you are due to pay for it, one way or another. By the book, that means going to court and paying a fine, or some other penalty. The issue comes up with paying a bribe to avoid going to the police station and going through the process, and that is what the cops are preying on - they are counting on the fact that you don't have the time, desire, whatever to do that. And, for the most part, they are correct. :lol::lol:

I have commited infractions (speeding, red light, etc) at times, and some of those times, I have been stopped for it. I am perfectly willing to pay for that - it's the right thing. So, that's what I demand, process according to the rules and laws of the country I am in. Because the cops that stop me are corrupt, and not interested in anything but lining their own pockets, when I make that demand, and make it clear that I am no rush, I am let go. But, let's not confuse that with GETTING AWAY with something. That is not the object, rather a side-effect of wanting to follow the process and refusing to pay someone to get out of something that is not big deal in the first place. That's the leverage they have.

So, if they stop you for something you have done, smile be EXTRA polite, ask them how they are, their family their day, and ask to be taken down to station. If it's a weekend, make it clear that you are more than willing to follow the law and stay wherever you are (Baja) until the Juez is again available. They will be equally polite, because of the education they received, and, after some indeterminate amount of chatting and exchanging pleasantries, let you go, or take you to the station, where you will be duly processed and let go.

If you have commited a SERIOUS crime ... let's just not go there.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.