Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Advice 24v Cummins chip for 2001 4X4
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

question.gif posted on 12-8-2005 at 07:43 PM
Advice 24v Cummins chip for 2001 4X4

Hey guys I finally got to upgrade from my old 460 F-250, and I'm really happy with my turbo diesel, but all my buds have chips and they think my truck is a dog. I can't imagine I could use more HP or torque, but I would sure like to get the most possible MPG. Can anyone suggest a chip that is designed more for fuel economy than for pulling stumps?:?::?:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 08:41 PM

And while you're at it, how about a chip recommendation for an '04 F350 with new 6.0L turbo deisel ??
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 12:31 AM

Diver,
If you like your warranty dont "chip" your truck. They have lots of diffirent ways they can tell. This info comes from my buddy who works for a Ford dealership. Ive got the same truck and wanted to chip mine also. The extra HP and torque isnt worth buying a new motor on your dime when you stretch the head bolts out from making 500 HP.
As far as more MPG and a chip, I havent found one yet. I do know if you can stay under 2000 rpm and not stomp on the right peddle, you'll get better mileage. I just cant do that. My truck weighs about 9K and gets about 15 mpg with 35" tires.
Last trip down i spent $125.00 USD to get to Los Barriles, one way.
1 full tank of Diesel in San Diego is about $125.00, kinda sick isnt it?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
As far as 500 h.p. it will take more than a box.

:lol::lol:

But if you give a hemi a bottle.........:wow:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 07:16 AM

Wow Whistler. great info ! Thank you !
I'm just looking for better mileage. My '94 F250 7.3 Turbo got 17mph but the new '04 F350 6.0 Turbo only gets about 15 !?

I don't really need the extra power. I've loaded heavy campers, towed big trailers and conquered some big hills with the stock rigs.
Maybe when I get old enough to have my second childhood :lol:
A-OK
Nomad

Mood: faded

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 03:09 PM

I used to run an Edge Comp box and loved it untill it crapped out with no warranty. I now just use the Superchips programmer set on "Burn the tires off" and I have tons of power with my 98 Dodge 24 valve CTD 4x with Callen overhead camper rolling on 35" BFG's. I do have a beefed up trans with triple lock torque converter and oversized valve body to handle the extra grunt. I use a custom intake I made up (some call it a BHAF) and have a larger than stock ATS manifold along with a wide open exhaust from the manifold back. Larger injectors were put in recently after the #1 stocker blew.

When you "chip" or start messing with gains on these newer diesels, you need to worry about more than a few factors. EGT's, fuel pressure, boost pressure, will the trans hold up, and can I keep my foot off the go pedal and not spend thousands on tires.

One thing is for sure.... you will be blown away by the power these units can deliver. My truck is heavier than heck and it still runs like a v8 gasser.

Dieseltruckresources.com is a great forum for all and any questions about your Doge CTD. That site cost me $3k so far.:rolleyes:

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by A-OK]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 10:15 PM
Thanks for the info. everyone.

In an effort to justify the Dodge CTD to my sweet co-pilota, I have been trying to make it get the same milage as my Suzuki sidekick. It is real close, amazingly enough. I've been real gentle on the pedal.

I had a long talk with the tech. at my local 4X4 toy store, and more and more I think that I may just stay stock. The truck was out of warranty when I bought it, but I was really impressed by a guy I met who had been working his '01 really hard for 381k miles it it was still doing fine. I want to be like that guy. :P

I just qualified for my Social Security, I think I MAY be through with burning the tires off my stuff!!:lol:

Thanks again guys...

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 04:02 AM

Whistler,

you north or at home down south? Me, in the Keys selling

put a binder on Lakefront south of Disney great spot lots to tell

e me george
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 08:43 PM

Quote:

Shark,about a bottle.I don't use drugs and I don't want my truck using them either.

I wouldn't put nitrous on this rig but the STS Turbo for Hemis is suppose to get you up to 450 RWHP pronto and is easy to install like a muffler. I like it. Only $5k!:lol:
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 05:15 AM

Whistler

check your e at home lots news from Vikingo de Loco
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 09:19 AM

Since this subject is about diesels, and noise levels are the negative side of some of them. I'm curious how many turn off their engines when they stop to "visit" with the American Immigration folks at the borders going into the US??? I for one always turn off my engine, and I've never been sent to secondary either. How about the others??
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 12-12-2005 at 07:12 PM
Noise?

You could get yourself a DuraMax Chevy. They're about 10% as loud as the average Harley.:P

Bill Kauth

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 08:06 PM

Ford 7.3 non turbo and I never shut it down at the border - Do at the army check points as all doors are locked and I have to have the keys to walk around and open doors (1 at a time) for the inspection. I've never been sent to secondary either.

US Customs just glances in the back seat and once in a while in the window of the shell - never have wanted to see more than that. (I cross 1 or 2 times a month)

[Edited on 12-13-2005 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
A-OK
Nomad

Mood: faded

shocked.gif posted on 12-12-2005 at 08:43 PM
Noise

The only downside of my truck.
It is too loud and I always kill it at the stops to communicate.
The only solution is too put a blaket on the engine and also coat the oil pan but that would give me higher engine temps.... I'm stuck with the noise.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.