Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What is it about Baja?
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 11:23 AM

How much better the simple life is! It is a precious gift and so over looked.
Where people are respected for thier love of the land. Yes sometimes I wonder why after I return my strongest desire is to go back and my next trip is being planned day's after my return. Spending a month in Baja a few years ago traveling, camping and finding the perfect beach and no one else is around waking up to the waves lapping close by and warmed by the rising sun is a gift that no one can put a price on. strolling the beaches I wonder how I can go back and ever be the same. If this way of life draws you back then you have been so blessed!

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 01:33 PM

Good post DanO,

You're right about many finding the desert to be boring. I think people felt even more like that a few years ago. I remember when Disney came out with "The Living Desert" and movie goers where amazed at the amount of life that exists in the desert. But I think you're right. People often feel uncomfortable with the silence and the bareness of the desert.

One of the things I like about it is it's openess. When I lived on the east coast all the highways were bordered by trees and you seldom saw anything far away. I missed the broad desert landscapes where you could see forever. I like seeing the land from horizon to horizon like that. It gives me a sense of peace.

skipjack
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 02:20 PM

The first sighting of the Mar De Cortez, The sea covered with a mile long School of Yellowtail feeding, a School of Giant Mantas that can be seen from 5,000 Feet above,Sharks feeding on an injured Dolphin, A wave of SkipJack 3 feet High a 1/4 mile Long.

The Pacific Side so lonly and Isolated, Sandy Beaches, Shell Beaches, Losters ,Turtles,Dolphin and no one around.

The Mountains known the to the old timers as "The Grand Tetons of Baja" with multiple Waterfalls after a Summer Rain, the old road to San Javier,where you wonder about the old Father and his Flock who walked and rode to build the Missions of California
The Pearls of La Paz where you can watch the "Pearly effect of the Sunset over the Bay.and Finally:

Best of All---The People of Baja-Their Laughter and Happiness as they leave their Cardboard Huts, their desire for,their children to speak English.
Their Habit that you must share a Beer after making a Deal. The fisherman who Know and Love the Sea of Cortez, their ability to Fish those Rough Waters to bring Home the fish!

Oh! so many things that make Baja a wonderfull and exciting Place.
I hope all of you can enjoy it as muchas I did.

Skeet
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 05:50 PM
DanO

Right on the money! Thanks

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 11:10 PM

When I cross the border at Tijuana, I am suddenly cast into an adventure. Every trip presents something new, and you never know when it will pop up, hopefully not in front of you driving Highway 1. Traveling the baja by myself, I have made friends with soldiers at checkpoints, met and swapped stories with many other baja travelers, and made a whole bunch of new friends, American, Canadian, Mexican, & German.

I have camped by myself in some of the most beautiful places and watched birds dive after baitfish for hours just a few yards in front of me. I have kayaked with Grey Whales, not knowing where they will come up around me, snorkeled with sea lions, and had the thrill of catching Dorado and Yellowfin. I once had the experiece of rescuing a beached dolphin (a story I would like to tell some other time) and watching it swim away toward its pod.

I have had flats, been stuck in the mud 10 miles down a wash by myself, and spent hours digging my van out of the sand. Once, down a long wash, I met a panguero who had one the prettiest little girls I think I have ever seen. I still remember her smile.

I too have friends who would only see the poverty, the trash, or the tp on the beach, and I thank God that Baja is not for everybody. I'm glad their afraid to go down there because if everyone went there it would not be Baja as I know it.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 07:55 AM
DanO

You nailed it. You described exactly why we are here. You put into words what had previously been feelings. Thank you.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 10:16 PM
DanO you got it,buddy!!

"People like us are predisposed to become obsessed with Baja. It just waits, beautiful, stark and timeless, for us to wander into the trap".....although your whole post pretty much sums up how I feel I have to say that last sentence will be stuck in my brain for awhile...thanx bro

mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 11:08 AM
Bajarich, For a newbie you have got it!

Long after we are all gone Baja will still be there! The tides and winds will clean the beaches, time will crumble mans paltry attempts at altering the landscape and all the majestic , stark mountains with their mysteries will be waiting and the waves will still be grinding out sand from the rocks.

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 11:31 AM
Early Passings

I want to add my voice to those expressing their sorrow and condolences for the loss of J.R. I only knew his virtual persona, and from what I've read here, that was only one aspect of the man. What I took away from even that limited view reminded me of the big brother who loves to tease, but who always has your back. No matter what. Peace to you, J.R.

I also want to say that writing the post earlier on this thread, and then learning of J.R.'s passing really crystallized something for me, something I hear people say all the time but never really think much about. Life is too damn short. We may pride ourselves on our resourcefulness and resiliency, but we're all just a heartbeat from moving on. There's a saying -- plan for the future but live in the moment. Amen to that. And there's no place like Baja to make you live in the moment. If you're not there already, start planning now.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.