Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 1978 Pt Escondido trip (2) - Feliciano
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 11:02 AM
1978 Pt Escondido trip (2) - Feliciano

Nadine was now understandably becoming a little suspicious of this vacation the boys had cooked up and decided to have a greater say in where we stayed. She fell in love with Pt. Escondido immediately, however, and approved of our final destination. We set up our two pup tents on the beach just inside the mouth of the harbor ? next to a palm thatched open cabana. For all its beauty Pt. Escondido had few amenities in those days. The public toilets were always clogged up and overflowing. You had to hike about 100 yds from the beach before finding ?unused? clusters of cactuses. A small restaurant/bar sat perched at the harbor entrance and that was our source of shade and cool beverages. The heat and humidity was unbelievable. Our pup tents were like furnaces during daylight hours and we didn?t retire to them until well after dark.

Feliciano was Pt. Escondido?s most prominent citizen in those days. We took an immediate liking to him. He was a short, squat man with Indian features and glistening black hair that he combed straight back. Initially he asked how much Spanish we spoke. My fellow travelers immediately broke into their finest Spanish, trying to outdo one another.

?And him??, he asked, pointing to me, ?What about him??.

My friends explained that I only knew how to say was ?papas fritas?. They all yukked it up at my expense. Actually, my vocabulary had been growing. The signs along the highway had been warning us about baja?s dangerous hoars: ?curvas peligrosas?. A curva is a prostitute in serbo-croatian.

We were equally curious about Feliciano. Was he married, we asked, and where was his wife? ?Si, pero yo le matto? was the answer as he drew a finger across his neck making a grating sound with a twinkle in his eye. The girls laughed, a bit nervously I thought.

Feliciano even had a comical name for his faithful companion who followed him around all day, ?come cuando hay?, which translates to ?eat when there is food?.

Speaking of dogs. There was a pack of about 15 dogs that roamed the beach near the campground that seemed to belong to nobody. There seemed to be a pecking order and at the very bottom of it all was this poor mutt that always took the brunt of everything. Periodically they would all chase this guy down and try to inflict damage on him. His only recourse was to run into the water until the pack lost interest. We always knew when he was getting it because a yelping would start up that could be heard for quite a ways. Oftentimes it happened at night and several times we got trampled as they stepped on our tents in the excitement of it all. Val was particularly sorry for the mutt. He felt that their social order mimicked our own in some way.

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by Skipjack Joe]
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 03:44 PM

What a stroke of good luck for me... I return to Nomads after a couple of months and what do I find but this wonderful tale. Curvas peligrosas... :lol:

Story-telling at it's best! Thank you, Skipjack... and now please, I eagerly await part 3.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 10:20 PM

But Skipjack, what about his Gato,that My daughter named "Hurracha."She was only three yrs old at the time.? Sweet memories..Thanks, Sally

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 11:46 PM
Sallysouth

Did you know Feliciano? Did I get the name right? I gather from your posts that you lived around that harbor at the time. Val has a picture of him somewhere but I can't find it.

It was so long ago and I never saw him again. The next time I showed up Fonatur had done it's dastardly deed. Our beach had been replaced by a cement wall. The camping area had been moved back a quarter of a mile where there was no sea breeze. Don't get me started.
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 11:53 PM
Does this look familur?

This was taken in 1980. Was it there in 78?
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 12:03 AM
Does this look familiar?

Does this look familiar?

The photo was taken in Puerto Escondido in 1980.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 12:13 AM
pangamadness

Very much so. Our cabanas were to the left of the building and a bit downhill. We would sit on those white chairs in the front and down ice cold fantas trying to cool down. There's a cement extension to the right of the store and Feliciano would sleep on it to stay cool at night.

Thanks for picture, pangamadness. That was the spot.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 09:50 AM

Yes Skipjack,thats the "where is this?" spot! We had our campo to the right of the store, along the rocks.stones throw from the channel.Wasn't the owners name Francisco?
I gotta find that picture and post it, of our camp.It really was a bummer when they built the cement wall and tore down the store and eliminated all the nice camping spots there. Thoses were the days......:(

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by Sallysouth]

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 04:53 PM
My Buddy way back

who spoke no Spanish, always tried to tell me that "curvas peligrosas" were "shapely Pelicans."

Write on Skipjack.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 10:22 PM

I tried to convince my wife that it meant "dangerous curves".

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.