Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Manzanilla - Ensenada
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

thumbup.gif posted on 12-9-2005 at 12:41 PM
Manzanilla - Ensenada

Manzanilla
In Ensenada at Riberon 122 between 1st and 2nd streets, trendy 2 story (bar downstairs with some tables, dining upstairs) on the more upscale dining side. Specialties are locally caught or farmed fish and seafoods. Lots of risotto. Fish is cooked to perfection. Many Baja wines on the wine list. The mozzarella & smoked tomato marmalade was to die for. Tasty housemade bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar required seconds for all! Generous servings so the doggies rate Manzanilla 4 paws ? almost had a dog fight on our hands! Website is www.rmanzanilla.com ? the hours on the website are incorrect. They open at 1:00 p.m. Understand this is the place to go on weekends to hang out with the winemakers?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 11:35 AM

Geez BB05, after reading your posts I want to jump in my truck and drive south. Nothing beats good food in Baja. When we go we take plenty of food to cook out but we somehow find ourselfs eating in resturants almost for every meal. We may cook once over a 5 day trip.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 06:41 PM

TW, GO!

Good food...Really!

cathart
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 12:51 AM

What a coincidence! My husband and I ate there Saturday night--and you're right, it's great. BTW--it's on Riveroll, not Riberon. My husband had a Duck Risotto--the duck was a little fatty, but the risotto was terrific. I had a Tuna Carpaccio to die for. We started with a wonderful green bean salad. We were there at about 7:30 PM, and there were only two other tables--I always wonder why good restaurants like this aren't more busy--even in the winter months. I guess during the summer they must be packed, but I would think that there must be enough sophisticated American foodies to support a few good restaurants during the winter months. We found the same thing at La Querencia in Rosarito, and LaJa is actually closed until January 6th. Also, one of our favorites--El Medio Camino--is always empty too.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 01:20 AM

Half Way House (Medio Camino) was awesome again, last Friday night... only one other table occupied... Chef Johnny prepared an awesome chile rellano plate for me, and filet of beef for Angel... Perfect cesar salad or tortilla soup before our dinner and flan on chocolate two layer cake for dessert, included... with four beers and coffee the total was only $30. Johnny told us some good stories about when he prepared meals for the president, as well!

[Edited on 12-16-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 02:21 PM

Ok David, Now I am convinced! We have to try the Half Way House next time down!When we were kids, driving down from La Crescenta, in the early 60's, that was our one favorite place to stop, along with Rauls.Haven't been there(HWH) in that many years! I was just waiting for more reviews from the Nomads. Thanks, Sally

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 02:58 PM
David-----

-----we use to hang out at the HalfWay House in the early 50's when there was nothing else around but sea and sand------wonderful place back then---our favorite "watering hole". We will have to try it again----thanks for the great reco.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 07:47 PM

Yes, it is 'simply very good'!

I like the fact that the chef (Johnny) comes to your table and tells you the specials and will even prepare you something special... That he cooked for Mexico's presidents and other VIPs makes it all the more fun.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 08:35 PM

Why are comments on Halfway House on reviews for Manzanilla? There is review for Halfway House!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 08:39 PM

Because 'cathart' said this in her responce, above:

"Also, one of our favorites--El Medio Camino--is always empty too."

A good point is the others who replied after my responce to cathart are just adding more details for HalfWay House... I think I will copy them and post it there (in the Halfway House post), so it benifits others!

Sorry for the thread hijack... it happens a lot... no disrespect intended!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 08:45 PM

Hey bajabound, in my thread on the Half Way House other Nomads started talking about the Laja restaurant!

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 06:44 PM
Let's get back to Manzanilla

The founders of Manzanilla in Ensenada opened a second restaurant in Mexico City, D.F.

That restaurant was featured on TV today on Rick Bayless' cooking show.

The feature was about the good things Baja offers in the culinary area (sooory, they didn't talk about fish tacos at the Ensenada fish market).

The show highlighted the cuisine at the restaurant and praised Baja's wines, the farmed oysters, farmed abalone and the "Baja style".

Pretty nifty image builder for a short part of a 30-minute overview of "Mexico".

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.