BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A Computer check for Don Jimmy?
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 12:42 PM
A Computer check for Don Jimmy?

Just came from breakfast with the Ol Man. He was feeling spunky and finally ready to check into the enter-net world and say howdy to all his friends, when wouldn't you know it, his prodigy server took a dump.

Computer works, the phone line connection seems to be in order, just no server, No outlook express -no e-mails, no nomads, no baja net, no nada, hummmmmmmm, shoot oh dear. Hoping someone more computer literate than me, (that qualifies as just about anybody), maybe Dave is around?

So, if you've got an idea how to tie him back into the communications system, and been thinking about checking in with Don Jimmy anyway, your timing couldn't be better.:yes:

Meanwhile, he is on the porch with a good book.:yawn:

[Edited on 10-25-2003 by Eli]
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 11:15 PM
Computers

Although we miss him terribly (at least one of us has some real life sense on these boards), perhaps a little "porchin" with a good book might be a little better. Has he ever read " The Grinning Gargoyle"? It's good for about so far, 4 readings! Laughing every time. Thanks Don Jimmy.
I betcha oneatheseguys can get him back on here.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-26-2003 at 07:43 PM

Eli, was wondering why Jimmy hadn't answered my email!
So many people on the East Cape use prodigy.net.mx.......have you asked around to see if others in the neighborhood are having problems? I wonder if they put his account on an "inactive" status or something. Obviously you can post....which server do you use? Maybe you can send an email to prodigy and ask them. OR BajaDave, or maybe BajaBus have some ideas. Tell Jimmy Hola from La Ribera amigos.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-26-2003 at 10:18 PM

Eli can correct me, but I am going to guess that (like in the hospital) it is still difficult for Jimmy to type. He can read this board just fine... so let's keep him smiling!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 08:49 PM

Eli do you hear a modem tone when the line connects?

If so... Try this..

1) go to "Start"
2) Select "Run"
3) Type in "ping 208.57.0.10"

You should see something like

Reply from 208.57.0.10: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL248

I you see something about a timeout 3 times then prodigy.net.mx is likely broken.

If successful, now try steps 1-3 again but sub www.yahoo.com for 208.57.0.10

If you see the same, then Jimmy is connected and something is wrong with his browser and email applications.

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 11:33 PM

I'm in Los Cabos and have been having problems with Prodigy and IE for the last couple of days..maybe it's the sun flares?
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2003 at 03:22 PM

Thanks every one for the messages, which I will for sure print out and take to Dad today.

Also, I was discussing these issues with another friend who is going to switch off Prodigy to another server for the same not particularly great service received to date. I think she said ATM or was that At&t? Myself, yep, I have had my share of frustrated moments when that little yellow box comes up to tell me I am "mis-configured" when the dagome thing worked fine a few hours earlier.

Than, I have to remind myself of the good ol days; When Dona Tona, (God rest her soul), ran the phone office in Buena Vista. And she wouldn't dial out for you because she was eating lunch. Or, she wouldn't answer an incoming call that you were hoping was for you, because she had just painted her nails and didn't want to mess them up by picking up the receiver. Or, she was just in a mood and she was the Jefa de La Telephono and you had better bow down to her or else.............. And, if it was summer, you would stand there sweating like a pig, trying to communicate on a crackly phone that you could hardly hear anything on, and the whole neighbourhood would know your business because you had to shout into the phone to be heard by the receiving party. Yes certainly, things could be worse, still, I am spoiled by this new world that electronics' has brought us, and if something comes along better than Prodigy, just like I left Dona Tona down memory lane, I will switch out in a heart beat. No loyalty from them, well, same with me.

Anony, thanks for the ideas. Yep, I know that the modem is working, I hear the tone. I will give your idea a try as soon as I make it back over to see Pop later today.

[Edited on 10-29-2003 by Eli]
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2003 at 12:40 PM

Well, wouldn't you know it. I went over to Pop's, armed with the print out of instructions from Anony. Thought I would try the usual channels to log on before I experimented and for some silly reason the same old way we always do it worked today, ay, que bueno, it is a real "go figure" kind of deal. Anyway, I started the download of 120 e-mails, got half way thru (up to Oct. 10th) and got bounced off the phone line again. Sloooow down loading, I'll tell you. Anyway, Dad has plenty to read and entertain himself with until I can get back over there later today and continue the process. Again thanks everyone for your consideration and advise.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.