BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RV camping in Mulege
willsfam

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 08:16 PM
RV camping in Mulege

Im leaving from northern cal. on the 14th. traveling south to Cabo plan on spending a couple of days or more in Mulege area. Traveling in RV with landcruiser, boat and kyakas, Wife and kids looking for a nice spot were we can fish hang out, close to town. Any ideas or suggestions.
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 09:43 PM
Willsfam....

Here's where we stay...turn just before Km118...there are signs.

http://mulege.org/naranjos/naranjos.htm

It's about 10 miles south of Mulege, then 2+ miles east of hwy 1, on a good graded dirt/sand road.

There are also several improved parks, right in Mulege, along the 'river', just south of the main entry into town.

Keep in mind, this time of year, many people from the US and Canada have already 'trekked' down to Baja Sur for the warmer weather...so things might be a bit crowded in some parks. Playa los Naranjos, where we stay, always seems to have room, and you can park right on the beach-front with your MoHo. Bahia Concepci?n is a great place for kayaks!

There are also several other beach-front parks on the Bahia, farther south, and they are right next to hwy 1 - but may also be more crowded during the winter months. You can always try one spot and do some exploring in your 'cruiser' to check out some of the others...

BTW...we are from Stockton...where do you call home, up here in northern Cal?

Have a good trip. Stop at the new Costco, if you are a member, in the south part of Ensenada, right along the main hwy 1 south, to stock up on all sorts of goodies - check out the shrimp c-cktail in the back - comes in a 1 kilo container, and is to die for! We brought two kilos back home on our trip last October! If you like the Mexican Coca-Cola (made with real cane sugar, not sugar beets like here in the US) Costco has the best price! We bring several cases of that back home with us, too!

Wish we were right behind you, but we are waiting for March to roll around for our next trip!

Here's a pic of the palapa we rent out at Playa los Naranjos...I'm standing in the Bahia taking the picture...it's easy to 'get wet' here!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
willsfam

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 09:49 AM

thanks for the info. We call Chico our home. We go down to baja 2 or three times a year. one family trip and a couple of quick trips with the guys to fish. We have stayed to the north bay of LA, Las Animas and Gonzaga. We have 5 weeks this time so we thought we would try or luck in the sout. Headed to cabo and the East cape after Mulege.
Thanks for the replat JIM
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 10:01 AM
Great Info

Mexray, Leaving 12/20 and want to spend some time in Mulege' too.
Have no set plan yet except to see what happens.
Will have 2 fly-in friends and will need a 2 bedroom palapa as my MoHo would be tight for 3 big guys. need on for 10 days, but would rent for month. Anything like that on beach there?
Thanks
Al G
BTY I live in Concord now, but spent most of my life in Stockton and raised my family there.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
LarryB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 10:04 AM

Below Mulege about 10 miles there are a few beaches to camp on. Here is a pic of Coyote. I just talked with a friend who is there now and he says there are only 4 campers there. 2 years ago at Thanksgiving we had the place to ourselves. After the new year it will fill up fast. You can launch your boats and do some exploring. Great place for that

[Edited on 12-11-2005 by LarryB]
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 10:31 AM

LarryB,
Beautiful camp area!
Is there a place to get water and to dump tanks?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 11:10 AM

Al

Armando has several upgraded units that you could rent right on the water.

One BIG room...Two double beds, toilet, cold shower....room for Motorhome too.
$25-$30 a night
You'll like it.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 12:57 PM

LarryB-
That photo actually looks like Coco beach on Bahia Coyote . That is Coyote beach in the background. You may have to drive through the water at high tide to get to Coco(check the area where the water looks like it meets the rocks) but it is a lovely little beach with pit toilets only and the high tide situation keeps alot of people away. The first time we stayed there someone sneered and said that only locals camp there......

Mexray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 01:47 PM
Al G & Willfam...

Bob and Susan are correct, Playa los Naranjos, where we stay has several 'casitas' that Armando has built with their own pila's for water to be used for showers and flush toilets. They also have solar/battery powered lights and two beds. The new ones just built last October, are right on the beach, waist-high block walls and tile floors - rather 'spiffy' indeed. There is usually room to park your RV right along side (or behind) - or you can park your RV at another spot on the beach and your friends can have their privacy in the 'Casita'...

Regarding Playa Coco below Coyote...we went over there by boat and car, during our last trip this fall...that is a beautiful beach, and the Palms shown in the photo are world renown -as pictures of that beach are in many Baja guides!

HOWEVER, and it's a big HOWEVER...Coco if greatly lacking in upkeep - trash everywhere. Piles of stuff visitors (locals?) don't want to haul out with them! Without the ugly details, it's just a mess. The owner doesn't seem to want to keep up with the removal.

The road into the beach from Coyote takes a 'jog' where the earth has slid down almost to the waters edge - that's the 'high tide' situation mentioned above...it's not really that bad, it's a bit 'dicey' with a large MoHo, but can be done slowly - it's through mud when the tides in - many do it though.

We met a Canadian couple over at 'Naranjos' with a large diesel Moho that have been going to Playa Coco for years - but after looking at the conditions over there decided to make 'winter-roots' elsewhere this time. They just love the beach itself, but the mess is just plain overwhelming! They also don't miss the noise from the highway just above the beach - like the Jake brake noise from trucks at night.

Lots of choices down there...have a great time.

Mexray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 02:38 PM
Playa los Naranjos

From our Palapa, looking South on Bahia Concepcion....

Mexray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 02:39 PM
Playa los Naranjos...

From our roof, looking North...

Mexray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 02:40 PM
Playa los Naranjos

Here is one of the Casita's available for rent...about $35US per day, I believe...

LarryB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
LarryB-
That photo actually looks like Coco beach on Bahia Coyote . That is Coyote beach in the background. You may have to drive through the water at high tide to get to Coco(check the area where the water looks like it meets the rocks) but it is a lovely little beach with pit toilets only and the high tide situation keeps alot of people away. The first time we stayed there someone sneered and said that only locals camp there......

Well, I could be wrong, but for the many years I've camped there both beaches in Coyote bay have been playa Coyote. The bay is named after the cave painting just over the hill to the south of where I took the picture above. Coco beach is the little one north of Burro, with the big concrete pit for dumping, shoulder to shoulder palapas, swampy area behind, and across from the road to the cave paintings. And Burro is the one just north of Coyote bay, with all the huge permanent Palapas and Bertha's restaurant, and the little store across the street.

True, the road going in has alway kept out the HUGE lowrider gringo buses, and the trash can be real bad after the Mexicans come over Easter. I have always hauled my water from town. There is, or was last year, a dump there. You drive your rig up the beginning of the old road and dump into a trailer that gets hauled off on occasion. It's a great place to do some kyak/boat exploring, down to Sta Barbera bay and out to the islands. The beach is the best, white sand, shells and sometimes rays.

Here's a pic of the coyote painting. It's a bit hard to pick out so I outlined it, only on this picture of course.:lol:

Larry

[Edited on 12-11-2005 by LarryB]
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 05:05 PM

Thanks, Larry
My husband and I hiked all over that hill one day looking for that coyote and never found it. Heck of a view from up there though.

I dont know if it will show up but there is a kayak just to the right of the cactus. This was taken during that hike!

[Edited on 12-12-2005 by bajajudy]

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 05:06 PM

Yikes, Larry.
I just took a closer look at your photo and my cactus is in your photo too.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.