Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Check Points
cranky

mad.gif posted on 12-12-2005 at 07:38 PM
Check Points

I just got back from El Rosario and lost a new mag light at the Army check point north of there.This is the first time this has happend to me in over thirty years of travel in Baja.There have been times they asked for things but the first time they have taken any thing when I wasn't looking.When in Tijuanita I received a ticket for a lane change on the way to the border and signed it, payed the cop 85.00 to keep from going to the police station. That seemed a little high.Now did I have bad luck ,is it Christmas or something we can look forward to? Cranky
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 07:45 PM

Dollars or pesos? If the latter, probably worth it. If the former, I'm sorry my friend but you are a complete pendejo with more money than brains.:O

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
bugdude
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 08:02 PM

Lighten up.

I'm sure cranky did what he felt was necessary at the time - probably with wife and family in the car. That is a situation I do not look forward to happening and with the help of several threads on the subject with positive replies herein, I feel a little more prepared for such an encounter. Remember that many of us are not so Baja "savvy" as others.

A man\'s reach should exceed his grasp - or what\'s a heaven for?

Robert Browning
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 11:04 PM

Just got back from El Rosario myself (Sunday PM)... Only 2 checkpoints: El Rosario mesa and Santo Tomas north grade (the one previously just south of Maneadero), and both just asked where we were coming from and waved us on...

If asked to get out so the soldiers can examine the inside of your vehicle, stand right there and WATCH. In the hundreds of trips I take, I never have had these soldiers take anything.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

cranky

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 07:28 PM

Hay there Bear is pendejo your real name or just something your friends call you? But on second thought a congadero only has an ugly wife and no friends. Love Cranky
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho

?"Congadero"?:?:

A Conga dancer?

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 08:01 AM

I'm also curious about the word, but even if its something really nasty, I'll apologize for my insult. I shouldn't have said that. It was a gut reaction. I just can't imagine ever giving a mordida bigger than a 20 unless I've run over a pedestrian. I'm guessing if you'd gone to the station it would have been like $8. If your time is worth ten times that, congratulations.

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 08:16 AM

You can bet that when they take you to a side street the cops are going to shake you down.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 09:20 AM

Always demand to go to the station. Most of the time they will just let you go with a warning so they can be there for the next idiot that will pay.
Bob H
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 10:24 AM

WOW! What ever happened to manners? Being honest does not entitle you to be rude does it? It seems that politeness is absent from some of the people's traits based on the replies to this thread.

So to help the rest of 'us' idiots can we look at this a little bit more in detail? I have seen other threads about what to pay and to whom and they all had some good advice but it maybe all little hard to recall when you are in the situation.

Some of you say pay under certian conditions, yet here is what you get if you pay...
Quote:

for the next idiot that will pay

First are you doing dollars or peso's? Then what if this is your first or second trip, you do not speak spanish, it is TJ traffic hell and you probably did something wrong even if it was just cutting off a car to avoid the three cars that cut you off. Then to boot you can't find your Guide to Traffic Infractions Volume #7, with all the current 'fees'?
Quote:

Even tho he had not been south of the border for several years he remembered his Mexican mathematics and offered $20 which the cop accepted.

Nothing to this qoute except someone calling someone impolite names and to their honor they did apoligize for the insult somewhat...
Quote:

complete pendejo with more money than brains.

If I drive from Oregon or Washingtion and only have a 10 or 15 days then that vacation time IS worth ALOT of money...
Quote:

If your time is worth ten times that, congratulations

So what is the going rate for running someone over?
Quote:

I just can't imagine ever giving a mordida bigger than a 20 unless I've run over a pedestrian

So next time you are doing something new or something new happens to you and you make a decision I hope that you are able to receive the same helpful, thoughtful remarks as you can receive here.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 11:32 AM

Hose A,

:lol::lol::lol:

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 01:03 PM
Multi

FATBOY

As another newbie, I totally agree with you that there's a distinct absence of manners on the part of several people (NOT ALL!) on here! While some comments can be perceived as jokingly uttered digs between friends, others are outright rude to any & everyone! There's frequently a "take no prisioners" mentality here & I think a lot of the people forget that voice inflection is absent here, so sarcasm frequently misses the mark & becomes outright rude! For this reason, my posts will be limited to non-inflammatory (starting right after THIS one!) posts.

Interesting how a thread started as CHECKPOINTS turned into a name-calling one on the etiquette of mordita!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy
WOW! What ever happened to manners? Being honest does not entitle you to be rude does it? It seems that politeness is absent from some of the people's traits based on the replies to this thread.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 01:33 PM

"So what is the going rate for running someone over?"

It depends on whom one runs over. :lol:

BTW, if you newbies think we're rude here, you must not have visited the off-topic forum yet.

One more (but the last) time, I'm sorry for the pendejo remark. I should have said "common sense challenged".;D

[Edited on 12-14-2005 by Oso]

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 04:15 PM

Who appointed Fatboy as forum mom, anyway ??

It's the week of JR's passing. A little controversy is in order !! :lol:
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 06:34 PM

I'm still waiting for an explanation of "Congadero", I like the sound of it but I can't find it in any of my dictionaries. A typo maybe?

A congal is ...well, a hoarhouse. So a Congalero, would be either the owner of such an establishment or possibly a frequenter of same. I'm not sure whether either is an insult or a compliment. As to the former, I wish. As to the latter, not lately.

Y'all have Merry Christmas, irregardless...:biggrin::cool:

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
As to the former, I wish.

I know one in Tecate that's for sale.

irregardless

(I couldn't find this in any of my dictionaries, either.) ;D

bugdude
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 06:55 PM

Just like Uncle Jed used to say:

"Wehhllllll dawgies."

[Edited on 11/12/2005 by bugdude]

A man\'s reach should exceed his grasp - or what\'s a heaven for?

Robert Browning
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 06:56 PM
Gosh Bear, now you get a sample of how us Conservatives

feel over on the off -topic area!!:lol::lol::lol:

Dave, how did you discover that "pending sale" ??????:lol::lol:

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beercan
feel over on the off -topic area!!:lol::lol::lol:

Dave, how did you discover that "pending sale" ??????:lol::lol:

I'm interested can we buy shares?:rolleyes: Say $100 a share?:lol::lol::biggrin:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
irregardless

(I couldn't find this in any of my dictionaries, either.) ;D

It's a Carolina thing- The Irregardless Cafe in Raleigh, a vegetarian place who's motto is "They miss the meat".

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.