Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: We've been Bamboozled!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 04:53 PM
We've been Bamboozled!

We love it!

Yesterday I spoke about JR and his affect on my life on the internet, particularily, forum behavior.
Now JR may have not been the perfect mentor but he immediately captured my attention.
I found his messages captivating. Even when he ranted about the "uglies" in Baja I managed to see his point. He made it clear, we are the people who form "public opinion" in the far reaches of the peninsula we call Baja and he was intent on reminding us all.
Agreeing with JR was a lesson in self-distruction when it came to controversial subjects with his flat-out honesty.
So what I thought? Well, a year later things have changed.

With this great loss came some great gains.

Bamboo is one of these. A safe subject per se.

About 6 months ago our lucky bamboo started to show yellow leaves and it's roots were in trouble. I changed the water and tried various remedies to save the plant.
I couldn't figure it out. Bamboo is very hardy and it persisted although it waned and waned.

When I joined the Nomads I found good reading and really had not switched back into the obsession of loving Baja again . Nor did we have a home in Baja yet.

Back then I did not give Bamboo a whole lot of thought. As time went on and JR promoted his bamboo, I found new interest in the stuff. We bought a little good luck plant "lucky bamboo" and I stuck it in a small glass vase.
It flourished and grew well over the next two years. It seems since mom passed all the house plants did well. That is remarkable here without a greenhouse.

We found our dream vacation home bedecked with bamboo. Even the shower curtain was of such construction.

Back in Oregon my wife begged me to finish our remodel now in its' 12th year before I took off for a short trip to Mulege . A "fixer-upper" would be an understatement.

When it came time to make a trip down to Baja I decided to finish the livingroom first. Whoa..... what.......and how shall I finish it?

:light:
Bamboo? Yes, bamboo. The walls, the trim, even wallpaper plus the accents.

It is beautiful now. I never wouild have done it had it not been for...........yep, JRs' inspiration. I guess he just beat it into our heads!:lol:

Thanks for the inspiration JR.

Oh, a sidenote. Today I looked at our "Lucky Bamboo" and guess what! It has brand new roots! Many of them!
Hmmmmm, I wonder?.................:spingrin::tumble:

This just may be yer fault JR, thanx:

[Edited on 12-13-2005 by Sharksbaja]
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 05:26 PM
Bambooooooo

Sharks...Nice digs! Looks like the wife has been on the Shopping Network for those lamps...Great decorating.

Three things that JR and I had in common...Love of plants, Fire Department and Travel in Southeast Asia. After the Initial
JR thrashing we connected and I was looking way forward to meeting the guy for a few brews down in San Bortolo but his legacy will have to be thru the bamboo now and all his Baja crusades....I have plenty of bamboo, bananas and palms in our PNW pad.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 05:31 PM
same view 3 weeks ago

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Qvanbruce
Junior Nomad

Mood: progressing (gracias a los nomads)

[*] posted on 2-7-2006 at 02:02 PM

Cincodemayo - I just came across your post of 12/13/05 for the 1st time. Dunno how I managed to miss it before.

Re: travels in SEAsia, I've got a coupla good stories about JR in Manila, Kota Kinabalu & Bandar Seri Begawan. He & one of his "long term girlfriends" spent some time w/me there when I was working in the area. I think I have some pictures of him aboard ship. I'll start searching (and try to figure out how to post pics of less than 49.9kb's) (Sorry about the earlier, "too large" ones, Mr. Moderator, but thanks for letting them onto the board) Qvanbruce

No fear, no loathing.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2006 at 03:02 PM

Q..
That would be great! He must have been in bamboo heaven there....
I was in awe of the vegetation in Bali....
If you have photoshop or other photo software you can shrink them down to under 50K.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2006 at 03:48 PM

ahhhhhh the good ol days....

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Qvanbruce
Junior Nomad

Mood: progressing (gracias a los nomads)

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 01:09 PM

Cinco - Right you are matey! I think it was in the Philippines that he got his first look at and appreciation of, bamboo. We were visiting a distant relative of his girlfriend's, a Filipina/American from Reno, who'd accompanied JR on his trip out to visit me, and, walking around their property which was planted mostly w cocoanut palms, he spotted a complex pattern of bamboo tubes used to irrigate their land. He was fascinated, spent most of the time there checking it out. I think he and Ivy, the girlfriend, went back a time or two while we were there. Our vessel, a hundred foot, three masted schooner, was in drydock near Cagayan de Oro, Mindanao, at the time having her bottom cleaned & painted, so he and Ivy had plenty of free time to explore & make friends of the locals. Something JR's always been really good at.

The place he & Carol lived at near Rosarito (La Barca) had a similar irrigation system keeping all their plants watered.

No fear, no loathing.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 01:24 PM

Well I'm sure he left his legacy down in San Bortolo and he's doin daily checks from afar....Amazing how in SE Asia they use bamboo for everything especially scaffolding and ladders not to mention all the awesome firniture.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.