Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: New $1000.00 peso bill
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 07:11 PM

Are they planning on another devaluation?? If that happens they'll be all over the place.

:o

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bugdude
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 07:43 PM

[Edited on 11/12/2005 by bugdude]

A man\'s reach should exceed his grasp - or what\'s a heaven for?

Robert Browning
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 09:05 PM

Give them 6 months and they will be worth a dollar....:spingrin:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 07:42 AM

Senor A
I saw my first one about a year ago and was also surprised at how much it looked like a 20peso. And I had the same reaction. How will you ever get change? When you think about it, isnt it weird that we live in a country that cant change what amounts to a hundred dollar bill. Think how many of those are circulating in the USA.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 08:55 AM

No trouble with the 500 peso notes here in San Felipe except the small taco stands - grocery stores - Pemex have no problem with them.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 09:35 AM
Unwanted

There was an article many months ago in the S-D Union Tribune regarding the new 1K Peso note and, among MEXICANS, there was universal dislike for the idea for all of the reasons stated above. Unlike we Gringos, they aren't carrying around large amounts of cash at any given time.

To say that there isn't a problem in San Felipe with the 5C peso note is not EXACTLY true. At any given time, the stores and Gas stations may or may not have sufficient change on hand. Even at the AM-PM there have been times when I've received a mix of U.S. and Mex currency because they didn't have a surplus of change available.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 09:49 AM

There is absolutely NO reason why ANY business should not have adequate change. Some argue that it's because banks are few and far between, but wouldn't that just necessitate keeping MORE on hand?

osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 12:39 PM

I dont know........even 10 years ago when I had my buisness I had a tough time getting/keeping small bills and change. There were even times when the banks would not give me change for whatever reason. What I resorted to doing was making my rounds every evening of a half dozen or so bars and buying the tips from the meseros and cantineros. Of course this necessitated the consumption of copious amounts of Pacifico. What a labor of love.........
Cardon
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 01:19 PM

In the States I have trouble getting change for these:

My Baja photos are now on my site
For more Baja Photos go to
this website
http://baja.smugmug.com/
http://craigpearson.com/
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 01:46 PM
How about...

Like to have a few of these beauties locked up in the safe.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
Has anyone seen/used the new one thousand peso bill yet?
As of today I have one in my hot little hand.

It is the same color as the $20 peso note and same width.
About an inch longer.
It was handed to me with 4 $20 peso notes and at first I thought thats what it was. Only when I noticed it was longer did I look at the bill more closely.

I have a hard time using the $500 peso notes because even the larger stores here never seem to have change for

anything bigger than the $200 peso notes.
Time will tell if it is accepted by the working Mexicans or not.

we have be getting them here for about 9 months. every one hates them.:no:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 07:51 PM
No Excuse for Not Having Change- HAH !

I would be the first to agree that a business with any kind of volume at all should have change on hand, but the number of times in Baja that it was not the case are too numerous to count. What I thought was the ultimate was one occasion that I had to walk over to the Small Bank South of the Secondary Inspection at Mexicali's Garita Oriente to pay my import duty. It was 235 pesos and I gave the lady (2) 200 peso notes. She said she didn't have change. When I expressed skepticism, she pulled out the drawer and said "See ?". A lttle ODD, a bank with lack of change, but that's Baja.
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 08:19 PM
Change for big bills

In the early 90,s when the Peso was about 2700 to the Dollar my pardner and I went to a Casa de Cambio in Hermosillo with 6 $100 US bills, they laughed at us and sent us across the street to the bank. 2 hours later we had the biggest sack of cash in mixed bills and coins that I have ever seen, at a 4% exchange charge. 2 weeks later they took the remainder back at another 4% exchance charge. I still have some 1000 Peso coins and a 10,000 Peso note, The coins make good washers if you drill a hole in them. My pardner and I wrote a short book (unpublished) about that trip. WE still :lol:

[Edited on 12-15-2005 by mcgyver]

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcgyver
my pardner and I went to a Casa de Gambio in Hermosillo with 6 $100 US bills, they laughed at us and sent us across the street to the bank.

I remember it well. We used to sing all the old Neapolitan songs. They used to make a mean pasta puttanesca.

Is Guido still the bartender? ;)

Cardon
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 10:59 PM

Earlier this year I bought some things in the Gigante store in Ensenada and was given a bill in change. I walked 20 feet away to another department in the same store and tried to pay for something else with the same bill that I was just given 60 seconds before and they wouldn't accept it cuz it had a small piece of tape over a small tear. I told them that the other cashier just gave it to me but it did no good. I think they pass those things onto gringos when they get the chance.

My Baja photos are now on my site
For more Baja Photos go to
this website
http://baja.smugmug.com/
http://craigpearson.com/
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 10:38 AM
Peso Paranoia

They truly are paranoid about accepting any paper note that that has the least flaw or any writing on it. When I pick up spare cash in the U.S. for my trips, I go through EACH bill and force the bank to exchange worn, faded bills or those that some idiot has written a message on. When I pick up pesos at the cambio before crossing South, I do the same thing.

I once had a waiter at El Nido chase after me out on the sidewalk because a twenty (U.S.) I had given him had a word written in ink on the back. Another time recently at the Self-Service Gas Station, the gal behind the counter examined a 100 peso note in detail and then gave it back to the patron, saying she couldn't take it.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 10:47 AM

Recently, I withdrew $4,000 pesos via ATM, one of the $200 peso notes had a huge hole in it. I used it to pay for something, no questions, even showed it to the merchant beforehand, he said "no problema". I think the key is that this merchant makes daily trips to the bank, they will take the torn and soiled notes.

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 11:03 AM

I agree with Tucker. It depends on how often the merchant goes to the bank. I know of several merchants that have no problem with taking "funky money" as they go to the bank everyday. The bank will take taped or torn bills. They are not supposed to re-issue them, but I have gotten repaired bills from the bank. The problem with going to the bank is having to wait so long in line to simply exchage a bill. Many merchants would rather that you wait in line instead of them.
When ever I have had a merchant say they can't or won't take a torn or taped bill I just say I don't have anything else (even when I do). If they don't want to take the bill then I just leave the stuff I was going to buy on the checkout counter. They almost always agree to take the bill when they see me ready to walk out.
What I really hate is getting dollars back for change when I pay in Pesos. I try to only deal in pesos and when I get US bills I change them at a casa de cambio instead of at a store
burro bob
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 03:56 PM
Good for you Hose A.!

I also refuse to take damaged or written on bills in either country. The US has apparently no laws aganist marking bills since you get them with " www.where have I been.com" and all kinds of crap on them. I got a counterfeit $20 from a private ATM in the states one time, the cashier refused to make it good ( It was Obivous) I said the ATM belongs to this store does it not? She admitted it did but still refused to exchange it. I went to the phone and called 911, the FBI and the acohol-tax-gun guys and told them all that the store was passing counterfeit money. It took me weeks to get my $20 back but the satisfaction was worth it.
Another time at gas/store place on a sunday morning 200 miles from home I bought a lottery ticket with my $1 change. It was a $200 winner, state law required cash on the spot payment, the clerk said he did not have it, I said call the owner at his home, he refused, I called 911 and reported that the clerk was trying to rob me. The owner got called, I got my money, the store lost an hours business at least and I turned them in to the lottery commission too.
Don't take their -----, it just makes them bigger crooks.

mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 04:05 PM
Edited , Satisfied?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by mcgyver
my pardner and I went to a Casa de Gambio in Hermosillo with 6 $100 US bills, they laughed at us and sent us across the street to the bank.

I remember it well. We used to sing all the old Neapolitan songs. They used to make a mean pasta puttanesca.

Is Guido still the bartender? ;)

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.