Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Left overs from Baja
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 10:59 PM
Left overs from Baja

Santa Claus delivered a dvd early to Dern today via USPS. Of course he can't wait till Christmas to watch his new movie, "Bajaflo".

So, now that Cody is safely tucked into bed and asleep, he runs down to the truck to dig out the external speakers for the laptop computer. We are going to attempt to watch the dvd in secret, then re-wrap the movie and open it again come Christmas morning in Ensenada.

Low and behold the first reach under the back seat where the speakers are supposed to be, his hand grabs a mushy feeling plastic baggie. He thinks to himself, "What did Cody put under her now?"

Without thinking he pulled out the mystery bag, set it aside, reached back underneath the seat to get the speakers.

As it is very dark outside he had no idea what he was holding and bringing into the house. When he walked in, he didn't hesitate to present the said baggie up to my face as I'm sitting at the table working on the computer.

"What the hell is this!?" he asked.

First of all I know nothing of his mystery find while he's been out digging in the truck. Then I come face to face with a moldy brown mushy bag of slop, pushing the envelope of the baggie in which it is entrapped.

Scary. I don't do mold.

I didn't care what it was, I didn't want to know. I was embarrased that "it" was in there in the first place. (the truck has been to the shop twice in the past week, I wonder if the mechanics noticed it...) all this is racing through my mind as Dern drags me into the kitchen and holds the baggie under the light.

He peels the plastic off of the brown oose and upon further investigation ON HIS PART, it turned out to be Cody's collection of carrot peelings and stubs that she had been collecting during the Thanksgiving holiday for the rental horses in our neighborhood.

She could have told us that she was hording them under the back seat. That way we could have stopped to offer them to the horses on our way out of town WAY BACK on Nov. 27th.

But NO.

Luckly Dern couldn't wait for Christmas to watch his new DVD. This now explains the sour smell that we couldn't figure out where it was coming from. No wonder the Suavetel drier sheets that I clipped to the dashboard cover seemed to work wonders on the baja aroma floating about the cab of the truck...

So, that brings me to this question. What is the oldest thing you have found in your vehicle after a trip to baja?:barf:

Respectfully submitted,
Paulina y Dern

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 11:39 PM

I guess that would have to be me!!! Or the sand in EVERYTHING.:yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 11:55 PM

Baja Flo (Baja off road racing video) is great! Baja Angel bought it at the Off Road Expo... and I have it still!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 12:31 AM

Give Cody a hug for me and trust me, That little ol bag of carrot peelings can't hold a candle to the 2 pound bag of Squid I left under the Suzuki seat for 3 weeks PPPPPPUUuuuuuuu..!!!!

Bedman
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 12:42 AM
Squidward

Quote:
Originally posted by Bedman
Give Cody a hug for me and trust me, That little ol bag of carrot peelings can't hold a candle to the 2 pound bag of Squid I left under the Suzuki seat for 3 weeks PPPPPPUUuuuuuuu..!!!!

Bedman

Same here Bedman, only I was in the Ensenada jail for 4 days while the squid rotted. How the hell could you even get near the car, I drove 90 mph home trying to outrace the nauseating smell. I hate purple squid!
PabloS
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 01:52 PM

We brought a little mouse home from San Felipe one time that destroyed most of the motorhome dinette upholstry before we found the little stowaway :O
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 05:57 PM

A gallon of milk in the trunk that finally fermented to the point that it exploded. I can still smell sour milk on hot days!:barf:

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Bud
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 11:29 AM

Way back when I was a lot younger than now, my brother and I were cruising the local mountain roads consuming mucho brewskies. I stated noticing a lot of dead skunks along the road that had been hit by cars. It suddenly dawned on me that they had beautiful coats. So, I decided to gather a few of them up to skin out the next day. Which I did. Only problem was after many hours of swilling beer, I forgot all about it. We were in my wife's Oldsmobile to BTW. haha! A few days later she started complaining that her car had a nasty smell for some reason. I still had not remembered our skunk gathering however so, I didn't know what the heck it could be! Neither one of us thought about looking in the trunk. A few days later I had her car at work on a construction site I was working on. I needed something in the trunk and when I opened it....I had half of the carpenters on the job tossing their cookies. It was like 90 degrees out man! That car stunk so bad. after many unsuccessful attempts at getting rid of that stink, we finally had to off the car to a wrecking yard because any prospective buyer just walked away. Not long after that...I had to dump the wife to. so it wasn't all bad!

Bud:barf::biggrin:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 05:05 PM
Maybe this qualifies...it WAS Mexico

My wife and I were honeymooning on Ranguana Cay off the coast of Belize when we met up with a Swiss couple who invited us to join them on the return trip to Placencia. Since it would save half fare on a (then) expensive water taxi ride we agreed. When we got to the mainland, they left, and in the panga we found a sweet little conch shell about the size of a baseball that they'd found while snorkling. I put it in a drawer in our camper van and in a couple of days we left Belize and days later we were about half way through the tropical heat of the mainland, with Cathy driving when I was rustling around in the back and turned over what had been a LIVE conch. Heavy on the HAD.
That half a cup of liquid was, hands down, the foulest thing I've ever been close to.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 05:09 PM
This will ring a bell with many a Nomad

I went into our stored overhead camper a couple of years ago about seven months after we got back from San Nicolas. There was a half a loaf of PERFECT Bimbo bread. Not a speck of mold on it. We don't eat bimbo even in an emergency any more.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 07:19 PM

Years back I went hunting with the girlfriend's father. After butchering the deer, he gave his daughter a bag of bones for the dogs at home. (I didn't know this). A week or so later she mentions that there is a smell in her car and a bunch of flies. She has no idea where they came from.

Unsuspecting me opened the trunk and then opened the black plastic trash bag I found. Bones and maggots with maggots soup. Totally disgusting smell and it was all moving !!
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 07:20 PM

LMAO at the bimbo revelation! :lol: scary!

Some of the items described in this thread are pretty hair-raising... :o

One time in Baja, a friend and I were in the midst of a little bit of winching with the trucks. When we were through, we did a little undercarriage inspection (it was mucky) and he found a twice-baked potato that had been missing a week earlier. Not sure how the hell it got under his Land Cruiser! :wow::lol:

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 08:07 PM

This didn't happen in Mexico but it did happen in California which is very close to Mexico and, what the hell, the subject is fully consistent with this thread.

The summer after I graduated from high school (1957) I attended the wedding of Gene, a good friend who lived near me in LA. The wedding was in Gilroy, CA where his bride Carole lived. Gene had a Volkswagen bug and their honeymoon plans were to take about a week slowly driving down the coast on Highway 1 to LA where they were to live. The night before the wedding we sprayed the standard "Just Married" signs on the VW's windows and tied on the obligatory cans to the rear bumper. But we went a little beyond the normal wedding car decorations and hijinks. I went to a local market and bought some fish filets. I put one inside his left rear hubcap. Ha ha.

After they arrived home Gene told me what happened on his honeymoon. They had a couple of idyllic days and nights in Big Sur and Morro Bay. Then they started noticing a faintly foul odor, which, when they arrived in San Luis Obispo was quickly becoming a VERY foul odor. They looked everywhere to find the source. Almost. They took out the seats, scoured the engine compartment and trunk. But they never looked in the hubcaps. The smell became unbearable. They sold the car in Santa Maria, trading it in on a 1951 Chevy.

I never fessed up.

++Ken++
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2005 at 08:05 AM

For once I'm glad I have nothing to share.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

shocked.gif posted on 12-19-2005 at 08:12 AM
Phew!!!!!!!

While living in so.cal I did alot of shark fishing and as any good shark fisherman knows you need to chum a bunch to get the desired results which ment I spent alot of time brewing up secret mixes of squid,ground up fish,cod liver oil,cat food,you name it I used it.
After a slow day of fishing we ended up with a half of a five gallon bucket of chum,no problem we,ll freeze up whats left and use it next time out,you guessed it I forgot I put it the truck of the car.
Several days later there was knock at my door and there stood my neighbor with this look on his face:?:
"what on earth do you have in your car a dead body or what"I knew instantly the problem,we opened the trunk and both of us were overcome with the worse smell I have ever experienced,my neighbor staggered off down the street making all kinds of strange noises.
To clean up this mess I had to pull everything out of there and steam clean,deodorize and steam clean again.
Needless to say that will never happen again.
BAITCAST
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2005 at 08:24 AM

Uh oh !
Baitcast's mention of a "freezer" reminds me........
My camp trailer has been parked in below-freezing temperatures for the past few weeks. Yesterday I realized that the poop tank is about 2/3 full and probably solid as a rock. I have concerns that the tank may have split.
Without a garage large enough to pull it into, I made an appointment at Les Schwab Tires to have the brakes checked on the trailer. I have a morning appointment but will drop off the camper in the heated garage the night before. If the tank has split, the smell will be something to write about !

[Edited on 12-19-2005 by Diver]
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2005 at 09:00 AM
The yellow flashlight

Well ok, I thought of something.

Not smelly but scary, like the Bimbo story.

There's an emergency kit on the rack of our dune buggy in San Juanico and in it, a flashlight. The buggy goes for months at a time without being used and when we are there, it takes a beating on the washboard and lava rock roads.

Luckily we rarely need anything out of the tool box and a few years ago looked inside to remember what was in there. I laughed when Mr oladulce took out the yellow flashlight- as if it would ever work again. But one click, and it was as bright as ever. Estimated at that time it had been in there 2 years for sure and possibly longer, with same batteries.

After that we made it a point to check the flashlight every once in a while.

Year 3- yep.

Year 4 it became sort of a ceremony- "come in the garage, I'm going to try the flashlight". Once again it lit up like a beacon.

Around year 5 things changed and we found ourselves giving the flashlight a wide berth. It became:

"I guess we should try the flashlight."
"That's ok, you can try it without me."
"Oh no, I'm not doing it myself."

Once again the thing shone as bright as ever.

Sometime around year 6 it finally died. We had procrastinated until the end of our trip to perform the test. Click- nothing, and we were actually relieved.

Dismanteled the thing in search of the secret to this beacon. Regular ol Duacells inside of a typical yellow and black flashlight. I tried to recall where we had gotten this thing and remembered that I found it in the garage when we bought our house in San Clemente. Upon closer inspection I could make out the faded letters SCE.

It was then I remembered that the prior owner of our house had worked at the San Onofre nuclear power plant.

[Edited on 12-19-2005 by oladulce]
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2005 at 04:57 PM

I love the topic - while on a trip to Gonzaga, my buddy broke an axel - after towing his van to Laguna Chapalla, we left it, and went home to get a trailor to tow it back. A number of days elasped and we had left 3 large cabrilla in an ice chest with minimal ice- obviously the ice melted in the August sun, in the closed up van. As luck would have it, we were pulled in to secondary with the agents from Hell - we warned them not to open the ice chest - but they did anyway, as we quickly backpeddled to a safe distance, they barfed on each others shoes. We tried not to laugh, but Oh-well. After having had a few unpleasant trips to secondary, it was poetic justice. I know, they were just doing their jobs...
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2005 at 05:38 PM

Yes my friends Bimbo will last forever and a day. I thought that we started a poll a few months ago about a loaf but couldnt find it. Maybe it went off topic and got deleted!?!?!?!? Quien Sabe?>

This has nothing to do with Baja but about 20 years ago a couple of friends got married in SC in August. They were driving to Sea Island, Georgia from Anderson SC after the reception. The brother of the bride came up with the idea to put something stinky under the front seat, so we sent him off to find something disgusting. He came back with two cans of smoked oysters which we promptly opened and put one under the driver's side and the other under the passenger's. They told us that after being in their hotel room for 3 days without getting in the car, that when they opened the door the smell and gases literally knocked them down. pee ew stinky

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.