Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Quintin oysters
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 11:39 AM
San Quintin oysters

Where's the best place in San Quintin to get bulk live oysters to go?

[Edited on 12-15-2005 by DanO]
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 03:29 PM
San Quintin Oysters

When I lived near there I used to get them from a vendor who was always setup at the gate of the first tomato packer on the east side of the road at the end of the bridge on the north end of town, only in the mornings. He told me they came from Campo Almejero. Look also in the market that sets up 2 blocks east of the main street, I have bought huge clams here especialy on Sat.
They where always very fresh and cheap (to me.) at .25 cents which was about 2 pesos at the time. They have farm oysters here in San Felipe but they cannot equal a wild one.

Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 06:42 PM

Dano,

Go to the Oyster farm in San Quintin. Travelling South on #1 turn West on the dirt road just past the military base. Go about 10 miles, just past El Pedregal and you'll come to San Quintin back bay. The road turns 90 degrees North and the oyster farm is right there. They'll pull them out of the water right in front of you. Can't get fresher than that.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 06:43 PM

Boxes of oysters, just waiting to be slurped down!!
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 08:01 PM

Is it legal to buy them?

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 01:45 PM
Not worth it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Is it legal to buy them?

I dont know if it's legal, but it's done. I have done it.

Still, I decided a long time ago that the vicious washboard on that road out to the farm is NOT worth it. Not when you can buy them pretty fresh in the Ensenada fish market for .30 each. Or cheaper, if you wanna buy more than a couple dozen. Just negotiate.

I've gotten maybe 2-3 bad oysters in a total of probably 20 dozen purchased in Ensenada, and I think they were probably dead before they were harvested.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 05:30 PM
Hook

You are right on about that road! Last time I was out there there were a bunch of locals staring at a newer pickup that was missing everything of the left front wheel back the brake backing plate. I didn't have enough duct tape to do them any good.:lol: That said, there is some really beautiful scenery out that way.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 07:22 PM
vgbndo....

...it is beautiful. I dont regret having done it once.

I would regret having done it twice. I'm full leaf springs. NO BUENO!
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 12:00 PM
Road, shmoad

That's what torque wrenches are for. What are you guys driving, anyway?

I'm pleased to report that we found the oyster beds (didn't see Bedman's post in time, but we got a tip on how to get out there from a waiter at the Old Mill). The road was passable, with some washboard and rocks, and definitely worth the trip. I asked for a sample before buying, and we and the fishermen ended up eating about a dozen on the spot, right out of the water. No limon or hot sauce needed -- cold and salty with a crisp melon and lettuce finish. For ten bucks we got that little snack, plus three dozen to go (which turned out to be four dozen because about a third were pairs of oysters stuck together). I can't wait to go back.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 12:12 PM

We drove out that way last month and didn't think the road was bad at all (we drive a Saturn Vue). Keep going to the right past oyster farm and you'll come to a small fishing village that even has a nice new school! Some nice beach area (yes, singular) -- where there were a couple folks gathering up large round rocks and putting them into gunny sack type bags. Anyone know what that's about?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 12:31 PM
Washboard roads------------

As I believe it has been said many times on this board------just let some air out of your tires, and the washboard is not bad at all.

With oversize tires (285's), and the air down to say, 20 lbs., it is quite tolerable in my extended F-250 with cabover camper, on either fist-sized boulders, or washboard.

Don't forget to re-inflate when you get back to the pavement. VERY IMPORTANT!!!! if you forget to re-inflate, your tires will get way to HOT, and they may fail.

With tires fully inflated, "washboard" is horrible!!!
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 01:18 PM

The rocks you see them picking up are used for " Terazzao" ( spelling) floors, only certain ones will do. They sell them to a buyer in San Quintin who ships them to the states.

Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 06:25 PM

Good on you Dano! I agree, the road isn't anything to worry about.

Bedman
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 01:29 AM

The best place to get them is when you are coming in from fishing have pangero stop the boat at the oyster beds just inside the bay a guy lives in a shack on the beach will get in his boat and row out to meet you $2.50us for a dozen vary large fress as you can get oysters
We put then right on the barbaque when they open they are done. a little hot sauce and a lime WOW!!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.