Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Just back from Loreto
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 05:57 PM
Just back from Loreto

Got home today from another month in Loreto. Things are a changing down there fast right now. Almost seems like a feeding frenzy going on to buy land. The realtors are raking it in as fast as the Gringcanadians can write their checks. New streets being put in with curbs and sidewalks. Hereos de Independencia soon to be a third major east west street in Loreto. Visited Loreto Bay and had to laugh. Who would ever spend that kind of money to live in that kind of enviornment? Oh well, to each his own. Still predict the first earthquake or hurricane will tear half of it down. The town seems to be doing well as far as the economy goes. Mira Mar keeps expanding and some are still buying on the beach north of the old Penthouse. Beto has opened the new Penthouse---so I have been told. Wouldn't know myself as I stay out of places like that these days. President Rury seems to be hell bent to improve the looks of the town and he is doing a pretty good job of it. Skeet, you would hardly know the place. A new third Pemex is being built on the corner accross the street from Braulios Materiales. New hotels going in everywhere. Just be wary when you buy something down there. I recommend Attorney Antonio Cunningham Yee---although he does not speak english. Still better to buy a mexican house and remodel it than to buy one of the new (really expensive) gringo style houses near or on the beach. Anyone ever ask a Loretano why they don't live on the beach? They will give you a damn good reason. Sorry for the use of the word Gringo---don't want to offend anyone....just easier than using Canadian or American. Maybe whitey would be more appropriate. You got some questions, you can U2U me and I will respond. Happy trails, Capn. Sharky

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 07:47 PM

Thanks Sharky
Always appreciate your good reports:
I know Loreto is changing very Fast. Hope all is well for You. Skeet/Loreto
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 08:36 PM
Loreto North...

Who would have ever thought.....

[Edited on 12-16-2005 by Juan del Rio]
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 08:45 PM
Loreto...a little more North

...that there would ever, ever be life north of the old Penthouse!(we use to call it the "Chicken House") Back then, it was the only place to dance after "Baja-thirty". If any of you know Carlos Fiesta, he was always looking for a place to dance...and still is!

Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 08:58 PM
Loreto South

I need some help. I can only post photos that are 300 pixels wide x appx. 225 high. I have a bunch of great aerial photos that I'd like to share in a larger format here with everyone, but the system will not let me...hence, the many edits to my posts (and you all thought I was A.D.D.!)
Any suggestions/education from the board?
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 09:03 PM

You guys all talking about the penthouse, I have to say the horse race course. Right?

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 06:17 AM

Gawd.......i just luv those very cute young mexican "working" women.......!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

Juan, check out the post by Ruben over at the BBP re: www.scorpionbay.org

what do you know about him? when are you and then chuckster gonna be back in ol' Sand won neeko?

sorry - its www.scorpionbay.net

[Edited on 12-16-2005 by capt. mike]

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 08:33 AM

Juan: In your "Loreto South" Photo, the large bunch of Greenry that you see at the top of the Photo is the result of Virginia and I planting 250 Coco Palms from 1980 as well as Taco palms and other trees. that was the Location of "Rancho Sonrisa".

"The PinK House' was the name most used in the early days, I think from just a mis- reading of Penthouse.. The strip behind the Penthouse was used for many different things, Drag Strip, Airstrip, Horse Race Track!

Skeet/Loreto
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Juan del Rio
I need some help. I can only post photos that are 300 pixels wide x appx. 225 high. I have a bunch of great aerial photos that I'd like to share in a larger format here with everyone, but the system will not let me...hence, the many edits to my posts (and you all thought I was A.D.D.!)
Any suggestions/education from the board?

Juan, Packoderm had a thread called 'Essay Contest' on the General board not long ago asking for an easy way to resize photos for posting here... I offered a method that Neal Johns came up with that works great and is what I use now:

I used Windows Picture It in the past... but the last batch (Erle Stanley Gardner Museum Pics) I tried a new way that the great aridologist Neal Johns told me, and it was easy and in a program all pcs have (I think), 'paint'.

If 'paint' isn't on your deck top, do this (click on):

a) Start

b) All Programs

c) Accesories
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Paint (start here if 'paint' is on your desk top)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) File

3) Open...

3a) then click on the photo to get reduced (double click).

4) Image

5) Sketch/Skew... then change the % down from 100 in both sketch & skew to a lesser number... My photos were taken at normal quality 55-60 kbs. (vs. HQ or SHQ) and changing the % to around 90% brought the kbs to under 50.

If you are taking HQ images, try reducing to 30%.

Continue to Click on:

6) OK

7) File

8) Save As

8a) now type in a name for the photo or add R to it to indicate it is the reduced one... this is a copy so you don't mess with the original.

9) Save

THAT'S IT!

When you move the mouse over the reduced photo in the files, the kb size will show and let you know if you didn't get it low enough, or too low! In either case, repeat the steps above... after you do a couple it gets pretty easy.

Neal gets the credit for this method, don't thank me if you like it!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 09:16 AM
Thanks David!

I'll give this a try and see what happens!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 09:36 AM

Viva Scorpion Bay!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

lol.gif posted on 12-16-2005 at 03:18 PM
Pink house

We all called it the Casa Rosa as it was colored pink. Penthouse came along about 12 or 15 years ago.

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 04:21 PM
Juan del Rio

Do you have any aerial photos of Loreto pre-1991?

That's the year (1991) I started coming here in a Piper Cherokee so I have some good ones from then. You can really see how things have changed. You may U2U me or e-mail me through my website www.bajabigfish.com
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

... check out the post by Ruben over at the BBP re: www.scorpionbay.org

what do you know about him? sorry - its www.scorpionbay.net

Can't find a recent post by Ruben on the SB BB ? But now we're curious- what did it say?
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 08:02 PM
Pre-1991 photos

Pam, I don't have any aerial photos from that time period. I was always doing the "drive down thing". Maybe someone else has some photos of Loreto before that time period they could share.

Pam, can you post some of your old photos? They would be great to view!
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 08:19 PM

Hey Juan, my wife uses Kodak Easy Share Photos, which is free online.... I'm sure there are plenty of other free sites but that on works pretty good. Thanks again for the BOLA pics. People can also print them from that site for a very small fee.

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 10:06 PM
Opening Night!

The house that Beto Built..:rolleyes:
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 01:40 AM

the weman in loreto let them build a penthouse in loreto?? wow it is changing fast?? jerry

jerry and judi
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 05:39 AM

ola dulce
it weren't on the SB BB, it were over at the BBP BB
(baja bush pilots):lol:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 06:51 PM

"the weman in loreto let them build a penthouse in loreto?? wow it is changing fast?? jerry " The wemon in Loreto have nothing to say about it. It was there before most of them were born. That would be Beto---second on the left. Nothing has changed in Loreto except the location of the local hoarhouse. This is common in Mexico. Most towns of any size have a hoarhouse. The amount of rapes in Mexico is much lower than here in the U.S. ---due to the legality of hoarhouses. We can debate this fact until the cows come home, but it is a fact. In addition to the hoarhouses, most self respecting cantinas will employ two or three girls to keep the customers happy. Sometimes a guy just needs more than a good stiff drink. Try Bar El Marlin, Bar El Messie or La Mulita Blanca for starters. Be aware, however, that the girl your are buying a drink for could turn out to be a hombre. The gays cruise the bars too---so a little groping might be in order to insure you are with a woman. This is all information I have gathered from men who frequent these type of places. I have no personal knowledge of this. P.S. Some of the girls are kinda cute too.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.