Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Travel by car through Sonora just got easier
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 12:47 PM
Travel by car through Sonora just got easier

In case you missed this. It happened eariler this week. http://www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/dailystar/107078

Travel by car through Sonora just got easier

ARIZONA DAILY STAR
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 12.15.2005
The revamped "Only Sonora" program allowing U.S. travelers to drive through most of the state of Sonora without stopping to acquire a car permit begins today.
Though tourist visas must still be acquired at ports of entry or the checkpoint 15 miles south of the international border at Kilometer 21, the new state checkpoint for vehicle permits has been moved farther south.
The new location to purchase the car permit is at Kilometer 98 between Guaymas and Ciudad Obregon, about seven hours down Highway 15.
The new program should cut "anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour" off a trip to Hermosillo or San Carlos, and just as importantly, will remove psychological barriers for visitors, said Sonoran Gov. Eduardo Bours in a press statement.
"The less paperwork required for people to get from one place to another, the better," Bours said. "By moving 'Only Sonora' south, we're confident that will inspire new visitors and bring our states closer together."
The new system will benefit not only travelers but also Sonorans living in the United States who want to visit relatives and business people touring maquiladoras or attending meetings and conferences, said Augustine Garcia, director of the Tucson-Mexico Trade Office.
Neither a car permit nor a visa is required to visit the beach town of Puerto Pe?asco, also known as Rocky Point, and other border cities classified as "free zones."
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 05:08 PM

I just asked the Consul here in Yuma about "Only Sonora" and he said it was in effect but only entering through Nogales, which is a pain for those of us who would like to go through SLRC or Sonoita.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 06:14 PM

Oso, if the checkpoint is south of Guaymas, then how do they know where you entered Sonora?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 11:16 AM

Possibly Don Rene did not have the latest update as the story is dated 12/15. I hope that's the case. If so, it's great news!

mexibob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 04:10 PM

'Sonora Only' was the free version of a car permit for Sonora only. Usually a 45 day permit as opposed to the full permit of 180 days and costing 20 bucks or so. The 'Sonora Only' permit could only be obtained at Nogales.

Now that the permit process has been revamped and a permit is not needed until one passes beyond Obregon it doesn't make any difference where one enters the country.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 05:52 PM

Leaving tomorrow for Penasco then to Hermosillo. Thanks for the info.....

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 06:16 PM

But entering on Hghy 2 from the west, how does one get to Obregon without obtaining a permit between Sonyota and Santa Ana??

:?:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 06:22 PM

"Solo Sonora" is not about the FMT, just the vehicle importation. You can get the FMT at Mexicali, SLRC or Sonoita.

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 06:24 PM

Another change that took effect recently (10/12), a 10 year permit for Class A and Class C RV's (sorry 5ers and TT pullers). Cost about $58 US. This is NOT an option, it's all they offer now at KM 98.

You still have to get a temporary permit for the toad, but this means that singles (like me) can take their RV and toad into mainland Mexico. :yes:

This means that I won't be coming to Baja this winter, I'm going to explore the mainland! :bounce:

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
"Solo Sonora" is not about the FMT, just the vehicle importation. You can get the FMT at Mexicali, SLRC or Sonoita.

I don't need FMT as I have FM2, but had to do the "Temp. Imp" thing for about $30 around Corboca (sp) when I went that way last year. Does the "Solo Sonora" program elimintate that requirement?

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
But entering on Hghy 2 from the west, how does one get to Obregon without obtaining a permit between Sonyota and Santa Ana??

:?:

The way I understand it, you can still get your FMT at KM21, or get it stamped if you've already purchased one through one of the travel clubs. You just don't have to have a vehicle permit unless you pass Obregon.

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 06:35 PM

Just wondering - way at the top of this thread it said it only applied if entering thru Nogales - so still wondering about coming in on 2 - Not FMT - "Temp Vehicle Importation"

No Bad Days

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 06:45 PM

Quote:
Just wondering - way at the top of this thread it said it only applied if entering thru Nogales - so still wondering about coming in on 2 - Not FMT - "Temp Vehicle Importation"

It applies to ALL border crossings in Baja and Sonora, not just Nogales. There is no vehicle permit needed in Baja (and wasn't needed before this Sonora change). There is no vehicle permit needed in Sonora above Obregon. Since you mentioned you're coming in from the west on Mex 2, you have to be in one or the other when you enter Mexico. Ergo, no vehicle permit is needed unless you're going past Obregon. If you are, you can get it at KM98 just before Obregon.

Also, if you're only going to be in Mexico for 72 hours or less, you don't even need a FMT.

[Edited on 12-18-2005 by turtleandtoad]

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Oso

I don't need FMT as I have FM2, but had to do the "Temp. Imp" thing for about $30 around Corboca (sp) when I went that way last year. Does the "Solo Sonora" program elimintate that requirement?

Not sure where you're talking about but if it's Heroicita Carboca (at the intersection of Mex 2 and 37), then you don't need a permit. But if you are planning on keeping the vehicle in-country longer than 6 months, or going beyond Obregon, you will need to import it under the FM2 rules.

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2005 at 08:03 AM

Just made the trip from Puerto Penasco to Hermosillo on the road through Caborca. Prior to reaching Caborca there is a checkpoint and was asked for my "vehicle permit" to go south to Hermosillo. I told him I heard that there were changes recently and that it was'nt necessary to have the permit to go to Hermosillo. He said "no, you still need the permit". After about 20 minutes of talking to this guy another officer came up and he was asked about the permit and he said I did'nt need one. I cant believe the first guy did'nt know that. What else do they have to do at that checkpoint but read the paper and talk to each other. Oh well, the trip was great. Stayed two nights in PP at one of the new resorts and the room was beautiful....Two bedroom suite for $120.00 per night. One night in Hermosillo and two nights in Nogales, AZ. The wife has family in Nogales SON and will never stay in that city again.

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2005 at 09:27 AM

UPDATE!

Fellow RV'ers that have traveled down Mex 15 past Obrgon recently report that there isn't anyplace at KM 98 to get your Vehicle permits yet. Reports are that nothing will be ready there until late spring (Mexico time of course)

So, if you're heading down the coast, get them in advance.

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.