BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  13
Author: Subject: Graham Mackintosh: 'Marooned' on Isla Angel de la Guarda: 6-06 PHOTOS POSTED!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

thumbup.gif posted on 12-26-2005 at 02:01 PM
Graham Mackintosh: 'Marooned' on Isla Angel de la Guarda: 6-06 PHOTOS POSTED!

>>> scroll down for the latest updates... link to Graham's photos <<<

Graham cannot communicate live beyond short range of handheald radio, see Bonni's email at bottom of thread...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exciting news that Graham just relayed to me in our Christmas greetings...
=========================================================
First was this:

Hola David and Elizabeth,

Nice card. What a great pair of Santas!

Hopefully, in a few days I'll be on Guardian Angel Island... should be fascinating. Marooned for a couple of months!

Have a wonderful Christmas,

Graham
=========================================================
Then after asking him if I could share the news with all of you:

David,

Yes, it's time for me to shed a few holiday pounds and write another book. Assuming I can secure permission I hope to be soon braving wind and current "marooned" on Guardian Angel Island. I'll have a kayak and a couple of pair of boots so I can explore all over the island. Otherwise I'll be staying on the Baja side setting up camp as far from civilization as I can get. Looking forward to seeing you again, maybe in March upon my return.
==========================================================

I know his fans would be interested. Angel Island is very mysterious and is quite worthy of exploring... Is there any water there? Early reports said no and that is why no
Indians lived there... But, is that true? Graham may make some great discoveries!

Best of luck to you, Graham! http://www.grahammackintosh.com to see his three books and other stories.

Here is the photo Graham included in his email today...
Graham dreaming of the big rattlesnakes on Guardian Angel Island

[Edited on 6-7-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 02:09 PM

humm??
what does his family think about him going off on these solo trucks all the time?
his wife has to be very understanding i'd guess.

i'll look forward to reading it.

that guy sure likes lonliness.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Dave
Elite Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 12-27-2005 at 02:46 PM
One isn't always the loneliest number

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
his wife has to be very understanding i'd guess.

If she were like mine she would probably welcome the vacation. ;)

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 05:27 PM

Well, Bonni met Graham while he was giving a presentation of his 1980's 3,000 mile walk around Baja... During his 1,000 mile walk down to Loreto from Tecate with the burro 'Mision' in 1997, Boni and Graham came to an understanding (it is all in the second book)... :yes:

[Edited on 1-14-2006 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 04:01 PM

I have to hand it to Graham, coming to the USA from England as he
did with nada to his name, getting a couple of sponsers,
Sport Chalet,etc., to supply him with a pack and hiking boots,
walking the coast of the Peninsula, finding material for 3
now a fourth book, (I believe he is a member of the
prestigious Adventures Club of Los Angeles), heck, I
remember seeing Graham belowdecks of the 'Titanic", Baja has
been walked around, kayaked around, an inflatable Zodiac
has been run around it, the strangest
one I heard was from a couple old desertrats living
so. of Loreto who 'while sober', claimed to see a unicycleist
with pack, riding down Hwy Uno... on Angel Island sounds like he
is in for a diet of triggerfish, ratlesnake
neilm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 04:55 PM
My topo of the island..

INEGI 1:250000 shows several arroyos; maybe a puddle in Feb. or Mar.... I think a solar desalinator would be a good piece of gear for that trip.... triggerfish and buzzies, for sure.

Neil
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2005 at 11:11 PM

Graham is leaving for his new adventure tomorrow, Friday...

Good luck to him!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 06:45 PM
UPDATE from Graham!

January 4, 2006 --
I am waiting to begin my next adventure, spending maybe two months
exploring Isla Angel de la Guarda.

I am at Villa Bahia just north of Bahia de los Angeles, on the road to
La Gringa. I can see the big island beckoning twenty miles across the
channel. A panga will be coming to ferry me out there tomorrow or
whenever the wind permits. I have decided to set up a base camp in a
cove at Humbug Bay (locally Los Machos)in the middle of the island,
along the west coast. After three or four weeks exploring from there I
will probably move to different locations around the island either in
my blue Cobra Tandem kayak or more likely by panga.

What a privilege to be out there. The island is breathtakingly
beautiful. The geology and and the ecology are amazing. Species and
subspecies found nowhere else. Not many people have ever stayed so long.

Say hi if you motor by. I have a marine VHF handheld radio. If I'm not
up in the mountains and anyone is close by I'll monitor channels 16, 68
and 72.

Graham

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 06:57 PM
From Bonni...

While Graham was calling me this morning on the satellite email/phone, the panguero arrived and may have taken him out to the island. Here is the picture, sized for emails, and if it is not good please let me know.

Graham also wanted to include the contact info for Villa Bahia, if you could please add that as well:

www.villabahia.com

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 10:01 PM

I see a Sandi Pratt palm tree...

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 10:07 PM

This information has been also now been added to Graham's web site under the 'events' link: http://www.grahammackintosh.com/events.html

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 10:18 PM
David------

I just brought up BOLA from your list of aerial photos and scrolled out to the island-----------boy, Graham is biteing off a big task------that island is HUGE, and complicated. As long as his food and water holds out, he should have a fantastic time, but not sure how much of the island he can cover in 2 months-----------it sure will make for some interesting reading. Hope he takes 3 pair of boots.

What a guy!!!!! Part of me is jealous----another part of me is aprehensive for his safety-------!!

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 10:34 PM

I agree!

However, I am glad he is sticking to Baja for his new adventure... He had considered walking across the U.S., but that just doesn't have the sizzle of living on a real desert island and eating rattlesnakes!!!

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 09:55 AM

WOW!!! :o This is GREAT news! Graham is the man. This should make for a great book. I have always looked at that island and wanted to explore it. I wish I had know he was going to be in BOLA, as we just got back from there - that would have been cool to see him before we left on Thursday.

I once talked to a guy in BOLA, who had seen some extraordinary tracks on the island. They were very BIG and apparently unidentifiable. :wow:

GOOD LUCK GRAHAM! :cool:

Thanks for updates David.

For some fanfare, a pic of Graham and my wife, Sharon at Viva Baja 2K2...

marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 11:24 AM

I talked with Graham new Years eve at Villa Bahia. A few of my friends bought books and got them signed - what a great guy indeed! - He has done so many adventures, yet he was still totallly excited about his new one. The bay on the island is well protected, stark, but beautiful. If anyone still has their 2005 Baja calendar, the hills behind the cove are pictured in the March main photo. I hope to check in with him on the island over President's Holidays.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 11:53 AM

"As long as his food and water holds out, ... not sure how much of the island he can cover in 2 months. ... Part of me ... is aprehensive for his safety"

You may recall, on his previous trips, he sometimes curtailed them to replenish supplies (and then continued); had supplies brought to him; had many meals and water offered and provided to him. I'm sure he'll have boats bringing him supplies as needed. I look forward to a good read of the essence of the island and some of its secrets revealed.
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 02:18 PM

Oh man, I just got back from a week of kayaking in Bahia de LA and points north. I've always wanted to visit Isla de la Guarda, what a great treat this must be! I'm jealous!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 05:33 PM
Can anyone confirm?

Is Humbug bay (or Los Machos) also the cove that I believe Jack Williams refers to as Esta Ton?
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 07:28 PM
Esta Ton

I do not know if Humbug Bay is known as Esta Ton but this little cove is the only one that I found on the West side of this 41 mile long island.
I went around Guardian Angel in my 15.5' Zodiac ... 16 years ago ... and went ashore at Esta Ton for several hours. There is NO protection in the bay if the wind blows from the South. If it comes from the North ... you can stay until it stops. I dropped my camera gear off before anchoring in the bay in 20' of water and swimming ashore. The different colors in the mountains are fantastic. I will try to dig some pics out. The bay is full of large boulders and it would be difficult to go ashore anywhere in the bay. :bounce::bounce:
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 03:05 PM

Ran into Graham having some fish tacos at Chinas on the 2nd of jan. He was getting ready for the trip to La Guardia. 50 gal. of water,provisions for a month and a hand held 5 watt VHF. seemed primed for the adventure. good luck
 Pages:  1    3  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.