BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  13
Author: Subject: Graham Mackintosh: 'Marooned' on Isla Angel de la Guarda: 6-06 PHOTOS POSTED!
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 07:48 PM
I am really stoked...

on the updates of Grahams latest adventure..after reading a couple of his books I feel like I almost know the guy and now to be able to read about his latest adventure on here is a real treat...I think Grahams adventures are a real inspiration to anyone who wants to explore some of the more remote area's of Baja:yes::yes:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 09:35 PM

Exactly the way I feel eetdrt88...

By the way, Graham is really a super nice fellow... He would be honored to spend time with any of you Baja loving kin!

One of my favorite photos of Graham Mackintosh was taken soon after his famous walk around Baja... Showing how to get dinner with your bare hands!... LOOK>>>

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 09:37 PM
What NOT to eat... is important as well!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 09:40 PM
ECLIPSE!

Remember the total eclipse of July 11, 1991? Graham was there! He just had to see a Corona! Wait, not the beer... the SOLAR corona!:lol:

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 09:52 PM

Graham in person is a real kick in the ass! A very real, funny, person. The DesertExplorers.org had him as our annual Rendezvous speaker twice.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 10:58 PM

I'm with Hook and Braulio. This whole thing is hokey.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2006 at 02:59 AM

Graham, Best of luck in your current endeavor. I've always enjoyed your books and stories. I've been around the Guardian but never set foot on it. Too damn hostile and no cable TV. The last time I know of anyone spending any time on it, one died after 4 days and the other two barely survived. Anybody remember that fatefull encounnter?

Bedman

Some people should start their own thread and title it "Armchair Whiners". If you don't like the subject and can't say something Nice, Don't say anything at all.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-17-2006 at 10:05 AM
I think I remember it, Bedman

Quote:
Originally posted by Bedman
Graham, Best of luck in your current endeavor. I've always enjoyed your books and stories. I've been around the Guardian but never set foot on it. Too damn hostile and no cable TV. The last time I know of anyone spending any time on it, one died after 4 days and the other two barely survived. Anybody remember that fatefull encounnter?

Bedman

Some people should start their own thread and title it "Armchair Whiners". If you don't like the subject and can't say something Nice, Don't say anything at all.

Damn, where's the group hug board?

If memory serves, they were shipwrecked off a panga mothership and forgot to bring their two month supply of water, food, tent and tarp. Don't believe they had a radio either.

Now, I would pay to read THEIR story.

Please don't misunderstand me. I think this "adventure" is alot different than some of his others. Pardon me and others for pointing it out. Sorry if it's not a "feel good" post.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2006 at 07:49 PM

Regardless of what you call this trip, I'm a bit jealous. I could care less who does the trip...but I can't wait to hear more about it.

Braulio- definately "Into a Desert Place"

I still owe a trip report from my Christmas trip to Playa San Rafael and Agua Verde...I'll sit down this weekend and put something together.

Zac

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2006 at 08:03 PM

Braulio, I concur with Bajaboy, read 'Into a Desert Place' first... all three of his books should be read in order, in fact. Order from Graham and Bonni will probably get it out to you... http://www.grahammackintosh.com

The guy is real and he does things few would ever consider, in a place we all love!

[Edited on 1-18-2006 by David K]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 11:15 PM
Graham letter from the island!

Monday, January 16, 2006

Position: 29? 15.568 N
113? 25.933 W

I?m just getting a quick note out with a Canadian kayaker. His name is Gary. Real nice guy. He paddled into my bay 2 days ago, and we?ve been hiking and exploring together the last two days.

Yesterday, we reached a point in the middle of the island offering a fantastic view of the other coast. I?ll try to reach it before I leave here. Weather has been generally warm with some lovely days perfect for kayaking, but yesterday and especially today have been real blasters, with Pacific-size surf in places. I?ll need to get the sand and grit from my tent when it stops.

Generally I?ve been out of radio range, but in the mountains I made contact with presumably a boater south of the Bay of LA, in Puerto Don Juan. So if I climb high enough I can probably make contact with someone.

I have plenty of everything and all?s well. I?ve lost a pound or two already. There are lots of animal tracks, and scat with fur inside. Probably not coyotes?might be feral cats? If so, there are a lot of them. Otherwise, not sure what they are.

I?m camped at the north end of this bay within Humbug Bay. There?s an abandoned panga there which has been incorporated into my campsite. Driftwood abounds in the bay?so fires will be no problem. It was wonderful to have a week of bright moonlit nights, but now I?ll be doing more stargazing. The beachcombing is great, and I?m always finding a crate or a plank to add to my comforts.

Gary is camped a mile away at the south end of the bay and I?ll be heading over there with this letter just before dark. Then I?ll come back by flashlight. He has agreed to let me download my pictures so far to his I-pod, and when he gets back to Victoria, B.C., he?ll make a CD and send it to you.

There?s a resident hawk on this point and it?s killing a lot of birds. I saw it flying off with the blooded carcass of a webbed-foot bird, probably a duck. Also I?ve found the remains of a duck on the beach and a barn owl in a little canyon above my campsite. Every day, for companions, I have sea lions, oyster catchers and ospreys. Great bird watching here, and looking at the seashore creatures is wonderful.

Crows are the only nuisance so far. They love to poke around my camp when I?m gone, and check everything out with their sharp beaks. The fishermen who brought me over warned me about them. So I need to ?crow-proof? my camp when I?m away.
So all?s well and I?m very content among all this beauty and peace, but I did get a surprise, actually quite a shock on the first night. About 1:30 a.m. I heard a motor, a panga came in after the moon had set and began shining a powerful light on my tent. I thought it best not to emerge so they wouldn?t know it was just me inside. Besides, I was sleeping naked in my sleeping bag. So I was frantically getting dressed and shining my light back so they knew I was inside. Luckily they went elsewhere. Not sure who they were, but I doubt that they were fishing! After that, I?ve slept dressed every night.

I?m going to head over to give this to Gary. So no more for now. I?ll keep this campsite for a week or two more, maybe longer as I?m getting so cozy and settled. It?s sheltered from all but the worst weather like today. Moving will be difficult as I have so much food and water and equipment. Only regret I didn?t bring more beer. Such a super way to salute the sunset. Miss you all.

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 11:36 PM
thanks David

for the updates on Graham...very cool to hear whats happenin on that big island

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 01:53 PM

Hey, cool updaate! I hope we get some more as time rolls by. Wish I was there.

:coolup:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 02:49 PM

Yes, I miss JR's style, too ...especially for this thread.

Thinking about adventurers, I wish I could find some photos of a certain day long ago when I met a young guy hiking by BOLA. He was on a trek, too, but seems his supplies were rather poor and some were lost in shipment, so we gave him boots and foodstuffs. Told me he was walking the entire length of Baja...both coasts. That was just a few years after the pavement was built. He made it..I hope. Was doing it all for donations to the Brittle Bone Cancer Society of London.

Then there was another youngster from England who was paddled the shoreline perimeter of Baja for donations to another cancer fund sponsored by the London Daily Mirror. Believe that was in 1980 or so..

Of course there were the odd nuts who: would backpack back and forth fairly often from Coyote Bay to the Pacific and howl at the moon...fly ultralights the entire length of the Baja Road from Ensenada to Cabo. Take a few two week burro trips into the San Francisquito Mts. and the Gigantas out of Loreto. A boating kook who took a 16' Lund with a 20hp Johnson from San Carlos to Ille Tiburon to San Marcos to Aqua Verde to Mag Bay. That amazingl Chicken Bones....A survivalist who outfoxed the Mexican Army from the mountains south of La Paz to the US border...then disappeared. Another island dweller at Ille del Fonzo who survived on that bare rock for almost a year...but had a ball doing it. Nice guy, Lorenzo...too bad he was asked to tear down his palapa and vacate.

Way back then, the desert and beaches were crowded with all sorts of adventurers doing all sorts of things. We met Graham for the first of many times around 1987-88, I think. My memory is a little cloudy from pounding waves for so many years. He gave talks on my patio, at NOLS next door, and in the Jungle Bar in Mulege. Always had an interesting slide-show.

Then who can forget the infamous...SILVIA!! Anybody out there know her/him? A very familiar figure on the old Baja Road from the 70's to the early 90's. Ah..the truckers knew THAT sight well! Guess he/she must be muerte now...cuz I quit having nightmares a while back. I last saw of 'Silvia' was coming back from Muluge late one afternoon...there was Silvia, laying on his/her back on the side of the road..torso out on the highway, clutching a bunch of plastic roses in her/his hands. A sobering sight.

Walkers, hikers, riders, paddlers, flyers, hot air ballonists, boaters, hermits, survivalists, and crawlers (rest in peace, Silvia) all have frequented and enjoyed the special mystic of Baja over the years...and more power to them. Wish I was a few years spryer..I would join them...hmmmm, who has some plastic flowers?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 03:11 PM

Pomp; It will never be as it Was!!!

Skeet/Loreto
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 06:42 PM

Graham sounds like he has ants in his pants.;) Seriously though, I'd worry bout those "runners" around there.

I'd also like to meet that hardy Canadian he met out there complete with IPOD! My kinda guy!:lol::lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Answer: What you can expect from me is reports, photos, trip details of interesting Baja locations and people.

All repeated umpteen times, like the kid in the classroom - me, me, me, watch me, listen to me, it's about ... me! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The other thing we can expect is, whether you have information or not, "been, there done that" or not, something of substance or not, air ************. And, with each emission, multiple links to your website. :o

To sum it up ... All DK, all the time. :barf:

Now, why don't you just retire to the Baja Room, email your buddies, and organize a Viva Baja party or something?

And spare me the "if you don't like it, don't read it" line you reserve for such "discussions" :rolleyes:. Eliminating all posts that don't have your "input" leaves precious little to read on this board, except the off-topic - which presents a whole different sets of problems. :O

[Edited on 1-27-2006 by Roberto]

[Edited on 1-30-2006 by BajaNomad]
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Please let JR rest in peace...

David, I doubt that JR is into either. :biggrin:

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 12:20 PM

Well, let'shope that something dangerous--or at least interesting--shows up, and pretty soon. So far, this adventure is everyl bit as exciting as a 10th-grader's essay on "How I Spent My Summer Vacation."

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 03:25 PM

is this thread an "infomercial" for Graham's next book or what?!:P:rolleyes:;):spingrin:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.